Sunshine, Light, and Joy

This is a post that I've been thinking about for awhile. Recently, I opened up the discussion to other members of the staff to get their feelings on the matter, and their opinions generally matched mine, which is this:

Within the last year or so, there's been a steady increase of negative posts in movie threads. We've always had some heated discussions for some movies, but recently things have not only gotten more histrionic in those threads (generally speaking, the CBM ones), but they've started to spread to other franchises and other movies as well. I'm not talking about out-and-out trolling, I'm talking about members feeling they have to consistently shit on a movie (or studio, or star) simply because they aren't interested in the current project or projects. With every piece of news about a movie, it's now a virtual guarantee that there's a flood of people rushing to say they think it sucks, they don't like the current trailer/tv spot/actor/actress/director/concept. And I get it -- we all have movies we don't like, movies which we think are bad ideas, industry people that just don't appeal to us. But there's a fine line between expressing your opinion about this and doing it so often, with such consistency, that the collective emphasis of all of it basically brings down the entire thread and thus the entire forum.

There's no easy answer to this. We don't want to crush freedom of expression here. But at the same time, the spirit of this forum is for people to have fun talking about the movies they love and the box-office runs they love.

To have fun.

And while it may be fun -- in a sense -- to personally vent about a movie, or to vent at people who dare to enjoy something you don't, it doesn't bring fun to our community. In fact, it generally drags down the overall fun for everyone else. We've had people repeatedly mention to us over the last several months or so that in some cases they don't even bother going into some threads -- even for movies they're curious about! -- because they just don't want to deal with the overall mess those threads contain. And frankly, that matches the personal opinion of most of the staff as well.

So this post is both a request and a warning. 

The request: Next time you feel like taking a dump on a movie (or a topic) for the dozenth time, take a moment to consider whether it's really worth it. People probably already have a good idea of what your attitude about the project is. Maybe just put your posting energy into a movie that you enjoy and love or are excited about.

The warning: The staff is going to be taking a closer look at some of these threads and we'll be more active with temp thread-bans if we think it'll help the overall vibe of the forum. I'd rather we don't have to, but it's not going to constrain any of you too much if you aren't allowed to post about a movie you supposedly don't care about anyway.

Remember the words of Bill and Ted: "Be Excellent to Each Other".

They're just movies, guys. It's about having fun.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Olive

Release Dates Discussion | Ghost in the Shell - Apr.7 The Fate of the Furious - Apr.14 Smurfs - Apr.21

573 posts in this topic

Release dates:
May 8 - Chappie 
May 12 - Age of Ultron 
May 26 - Tomorrowland 
May 28 - Doraemon 3D  
June 2 - San Andreas 
June 5 - Rush 
June 10 -Jurassic World 
June 13 - Insurgent 
1 person likes this

All movie which will be released in the rest of May.

CFJit80UMAATaKx.png

June 12th for JW now? Thought is was June 10th not too long ago?

June 12th for JW now? Thought is was June 10th not too long ago?

No, I made a mistake.

1 person likes this

Please, let us know if any russian movie will get a release date in China. Our sources put animated movie Snow Queen in summer and war drama Battle for Sevastopol possibly in September. Thanks.

Any clue about Inside Out?

September likely if Disney didn't give it up.

Please, let us know if any russian movie will get a release date in China. Our sources put animated movie Snow Queen in summer and war drama Battle for Sevastopol possibly in September. Thanks.

No news about them.

Apparently Aamir Khan will be teaming up with Jackie Chan in a Chinese-Indian coproduction called "Kung Fu Yoga"

http://news.yahoo.com/jackie-aamir-star-kung-fu-yoga-062800817.html

It was revealed that three Sino-Indian films have been commissioned to be produced this year under the filmmaking agreement between China and India.

According to ECNS News, the news was announced by the State Administration recently, following a groundbreaking agreement made between the two countries in 2014 during Chinese President Xi Jinping's visit to India, which called for the collaboration between Bollywood and the Chinese film industry.

The first movie will be Jackie Chan's "Kung Fu Yoga" that also stars Bollywood's Aamir Khan.

The second movie will chronicle the life of Xuanzang, the Tang Dynasty Buddhist monk, and his journey to India to study Buddhism. The movie will be produced by Wong Kar Wai.

Edited by grim22

Insurgent moved to June 19th, wise move, it was planned to open 3 days after JW which was just stupid.

I personally have no interest in this YA series, the first was purely rubbish. 

Any new about Terminator Genisys?

Edited by efialtes76

Late July/Early August: Mission Impossible 5, Pixels

Late August: Minions

1 person likes this

Ant-Man in there too or after?

Ant-Man in there too or after?

No news yet.

Should have similar date to GOTG.

1 person likes this

I read that Mad Max Fury Road dosen't get a resease date in China. Any news about that?

No news yet.

Should have similar date to GOTG.

And TG?

Looks like MI5, F4, Pixels will be releases one after the other and cannibalize each other. Really hoping somehow F4 gets a solo August 7 date. MI5 hopefully comes out July 24. Pixels 4th week of August and Minions first week of September.

And TG?

If it has a (rumored) date, I'll post it here.

Looks like MI5, F4, Pixels will be releases one after the other and cannibalize each other. Really hoping somehow F4 gets a solo August 7 date. MI5 hopefully comes out July 24. Pixels 4th week of August and Minions first week of September.

MI5 and Pixels are both co- production, I doubt F4 will be released in August like them.

July is local protection month, no hollywood movies allowed.

Minions is most likely to be released in the last week of August.

If it has a (rumored) date, I'll post it here.

MI5 and Pixels are both co- production, I doubt F4 will be released in August like them.

July is local protection month, no hollywood movies allowed.

Minions is most likely to be released in the last week of August.

Well xmen dofp released in May in China, so I don't see why this can't. I know that movie starred fan bing bing but still...

Will F4 even release in China?