Olive

Release Dates Discussion | Avengers Endgame 2019

4 hours ago, Lihongkim said:

Being a big movie release in quiet month, don't u think it's an advantage? 

Martial art movies a not popular like its previous years. But SPL II made nearly 600M Yuan last year, Ip Man 3 should double it. 

My target for it is 800m yuan, hopefully piracy doesn't really affect it. And hope no Big Hollywood blockbuster suddenly enters... 

6 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

My target for it is 800m yuan, hopefully piracy doesn't really affect it. And hope no Big Hollywood blockbuster suddenly enters... 

I'm confident Ip Man 3 will become the King of March. No big local movies & HLW blockbuster wills start its journey from mid-April. 

1 hour ago, Lihongkim said:

I'm confident Ip Man 3 will become the King of March. No big local movies & HLW blockbuster wills start its journey from mid-April. 

Assuming that Deadpool(the only Hollywood Blockbuster I can think of) is not released in March!

But I do certainly hope so that Ip Man 3 will do well, I hope it earns 1000m Yuan, but 800m Yuan will be great already! =)

Just wondering what do you think of the change in release date. Do you feel that it was wise for Ip Man 3 to shift away from Dec 31st? Shift away from major competitions in an arguably better release date of December... to a quiet month where competition is less but piracy may be rampant? (Not forgetting potential fatigue from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2). Some calls it a bad idea to shift to March, but it seems like quite a good idea now, what do you think?

10 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Assuming that Deadpool(the only Hollywood Blockbuster I can think of) is not released in March!

But I do certainly hope so that Ip Man 3 will do well, I hope it earns 1000m Yuan, but 800m Yuan will be great already! =)

Just wondering what do you think of the change in release date. Do you feel that it was wise for Ip Man 3 to shift away from Dec 31st? Shift away from major competitions in an arguably better release date of December... to a quiet month where competition is less but piracy may be rampant? (Not forgetting potential fatigue from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2). Some calls it a bad idea to shift to March, but it seems like quite a good idea now, what do you think?

Speaking of the confirmed Mainland release date of March 4th, everyone worried that the internet and the rampant piracy would affect the Mainland box office. Shi Jianxiang however sang another tune as he confidently said, "Earlier the Taiwan film OUR TIMES also postponed its Mainland release, piracy spread in a small area but with the word of mouth its Mainland release received decent box office." 

Shi Jianxiang even offered HK$ 10 million to ask everyone to guess IP 3's final box office. Because IP 3 has already broken many records, the team looked forward to its Mainland release very much. Some predicted 1.8 billion and some even 2 billion, but the result will have to wait until the Mainland release. 
Although that prediction is crazy, it showed their heavy confidence on Ip Man 3. Considering it broke records in many Asian countries, its quality shouldn't be bad.

Ask for its changing release date, I think it's not a bad idea. Look at Detective Chinatown, which was expect 1B+, it's much less than expect. Actually, it had NY holidays but Mojin & Mr.Six was doing so well at that time. Sherlock came out on its 5th day & SW7 on its 10th day. DC made nearly 34M Yuan on its 2nd Fri, but it fell to 27.5M Yuan on Sat due to SW7 released. Ip Man 3 isn't a comedy movie, it would definitely do less than DC. WOM can't help it much due to competitions & losing showtimes. Yes, Dec.31 is really not a good release date. I prefer Dec.24 (Christmas +NYD). But since it's like this, March.4th is ok. 

Maybe I expect too much for Ip Man 3. But since it becomes my most fav martial art movie, & Donnie Yen is also my most fav action star, I wish it's not just a dream. 

• Like 2

Possible Imported Films for 2016 (http://news.mtime.com/2016/01/04/1550931-all.html)

The Fifth Wave

The Finest Hours

Gods of Egypt

London Has Fallen

Zootopia

The Divergent Series: Allegiant

Batman Vs Superman

The Jungle Book

The Huntsman: Winter's War

Captain America: Civil War

Angry Birds

Alice Through the Looking Glass

X-Men: Apocalypse

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2

Now You See Me: The Second Act

Warcraft

Finding Dory

Independence Day: Resurgence

The Legend of Tarzan

The Secret Life of Pets

Ghostbusters

Star Trek Beyond

Ice Age 5

Untitled Bourne Sequel

The BFG

Suicide Squad

Terminator 2: Judgment Day

The Magnificent Seven

Inferno

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back

Doctor Strange

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Moana

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Assassin's Creed

Sing

Jumanji

13 hours ago, jiangsen said:

Possible Imported Films for 2016 (http://news.mtime.com/2016/01/04/1550931-all.html)

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Hmm, do they stop the December protection month thingie? If not, than I guess that one will be a 2017 release, or?
Didn't check for the other titles, that one I already knew out of my head.

3 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Hmm, do they stop the December protection month thingie? If not, than I guess that one will be a 2017 release, or?
Didn't check for the other titles, that one I already knew out of my head.

Should thank to Dec protection month. If so, Rouge One would be killed by the local blockbusters. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lihongkim said:

Should thank to Dec protection month. If so, Rouge One would be killed by the local blockbusters. 

Wasn't my point, only I think it's wrong to add it on a 2016 list based on that, see ~ general release date internationally.

7 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Wasn't my point, only I think it's wrong to add it on a 2016 list based on that, see ~ general release date internationally.

Release dates won't be confirmed until one to two month before its Domestic opening.

25 minutes ago, The Good Olive said:

Release dates won't be confirmed until one to two month before its Domestic opening.

Thanks, I am aware about that ;)

I only asked in my first post, if the December is still a protection month in 2016, if yes:

as Rougue One's general release date (as in a majority of ww countries) is around the midth of December it would be not logical to add the title on a list for to be expected / guessed about 2016 releases, as it couldn't be released before 2017 out of that.

5 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Thanks, I am aware about that ;)

I only asked in my first post, if the December is still a protection month in 2016, if yes:

as Rougue One's general release date (as in a majority of ww countries) is around the midth of December it would be not logical to add the title on a list for to be expected / guessed about 2016 releases, as it couldn't be released before 2017 out of that.

Some, if not many, of Mtime's articles/reports are not so professional. 2016 will still have Dec blakout period. Rogue One should be Jan 2017.

• Like 1

Most anticipated movies on Maoyan in the future:

Man from Macau III - 381k want to see 2.08.2016

Mermaid - 347k 2.08.2016

Kung Fu Panda III - 283k 1.29.2016

X-men: Apocalypse - 200k

Captain America 3 - 200k

Now you see me 2 - 140k

Monkey King 2 - 139k 2.08.2016

Ip man 3 - 134k 3.04.2016

Batman V Superman - 120k

Warcraft - 100k

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Good Olive said:

Mermaid - 347k 2.08.2016

Captain America 3 - 200k

Now you see me 2 - 140k

Batman V Superman - 120k

Warcraft - 100k

Monkey King 2 is not doing well, it is coming out in like 2 weeks and the buzz is nowhere as high as Mermaid and Macau. If there were more competition, Monkey King 2 will flop, but considering there are only 3 Big Releases in CNY..... it will probably be a hit because people can see more than 1 movie per day, and Mermaid fans will probably not watch macau, and macau fans might boycott mermaid just because of Box Office Competition.

6 hours ago, The Good Olive said:

Mermaid - 347k 2.08.2016

Captain America 3 - 200k

Now you see me 2 - 140k

Batman V Superman - 120k

Warcraft - 100k

Already that high for Avatar 2? That is unusual for a film 2 years away from release?

Also, what's the number like for Independence Day 2?