Noctis

Rank the Harry Potter Films (2015 version)

I've noticed there's been a gradual change in the evaluation of the Potter films since the series ended, and it's been almost 4 years since the final film released. So how do you rank the films?

1. DH1

2. DH2

3. HBP

4. PoA

5. SS

6. OoTP

7. CoS

8. GoF

Deathly Hallows 1 remains near perfect in my eyes. Deathly Hallows Part 2 I have grown to have a bigger appreciation for it, despite the final 20 minutes. Even in the final 20 minutes, there were still enough moments of triumph and thrills. And the very final two scenes of the trio on the bridge and the epilogue were very emotional for me.

The first 4 are great films. SS and OoTP are very good, but CoS and GOF are easily the weakest for me. GoF butchered way too much of the story and characters.

• Like 4

1. Deathly Hallows Part 1

2. Prisoner of Azkaban

3. Half Blood Prince

4. Deathly Hallows Part 2

5. Order of the Phoenix

6. Goblet of Fire

7. Chamber of Secrets

8. Philosopher's Stone

I might change Order of the Phoenix with Deathly Hallows Part 2. The former has really grown on me since I've watched it.

1. HP and the Goblet of Fire

2. HP and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

3. HP and the Order of the Phoenix

4. HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban

5. HP and the Chamber of Secrets

6. HP and the Half-Blood Prince

7. HP and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

8. HP and the Sorcerer's Stone

1. HP and the Goblet of Fire

2. HP and the Deathly Hallows Part 2

3. HP and the Order of the Phoenix

4. HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban

5. HP and the Chamber of Secrets

6. HP and the Half-Blood Prince

7. HP and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

8. HP and the Sorcerer's Stone

Judge-Judy-Shake-My-Head-Gif_zps66b02891

I feel like I've done this before... but whatever.

1. Prisoner of Azkaban- A+ Easily the best of the series. The most fun, the most crazy, the most heart, and my favorite scenes between the characters.

2. Deathly Hollows Part 2- A+ I wish it was longer, it still doesn't detract from the amazing battle sequences and nearly tear-jerking ending.

3. Chamber of Secrets- A- I've noticed that a lot of people tend to put this one near the bottom of their lists but for me, there is just something about it that keeps me coming back more and more every time.

4. Half-Blood Prince- B+ Dumbledore and Harry's interactions as well as Voldemort's flashbacks make the movie for me. The cinemotography is beautiful and its Oscar nod was well deserving.

5. Sorcerer's Stone- B While not without its problems and annoyances, this is a nostalgic one for me that I remember seeing at a young age. Always a favorite of mine to pop in around Christmas (for whatever reason).

6. Goblet of Fire- B Sort of a mixed bag for me. It contains some of my favorite set pieces and action sequences but also harbors some of the most choppy editing I've seen in any movie and Ron's constant bitching for the first hour got grading and annoying, real fast. I rank it lower as it was my favorite of the books and I felt it did a ton of injustice to the source material.

7. Deathly Hollows Part 1- B- While I've grown a bit more towards the film, I still stand by my opinion that this is one of the more boring films of the franchise. Sure, the fact they are no longer in school is a nice deviation but I still found myself bored. It also gets unneedlessly dark at times and just isn't really that fun to watch. One of the films I generally don't watch over and over again.

8. Order of the Phoenix- C+ I barely remember the plot of this movie, at all. I remember almost all of the details of the other films but this film keeps slipping out of my mind, which I feel is its biggest problem. It is easily the most forgettable of the Potter films and just boring plain boring to watch. There are a lot of things I like though: Umbridge is entertainly cruel, some of the humor works, and the climax is actually kind of exciting. Other than that though, this is one I generally tend to not re-watch as much of.

Overall: Pretty good series with some weak spots along the way.

Edited by Radical Rorschach
  • Like 1

HBP Good acting, emotional, slughorn was awesome, great cinematography

DH2 Epic, emotional, great effects

DH1 brooding, mature, I love the potter world so don't mind the slow pace

PoA Dark turn, beautiful cinematography, loved the last 30 minutes a lot, showed respect for the HP world

Colorful, nostalgic, innocent

CoS

SS

Good effects, fast paced(a bit too much), but cut out a lot of good parts, did not take itself seriously at times

GoF

OotP

Edited by a2k

• Community Manager

After my re-watch:

1) Prisoner of Azkaban: best directed with the most exciting climax scene. The series not only grew up with this movie but it's also hands-down the most exciting. A

2) Deathly Hollows Part II despite the whole Elder Wand loyalty bullshit, it doesn't waste a precious second with a final battle that is truly epic. A-

3) Order of the Phoenix: Okay not much actually happens in the movie (Magic of Ministry goes from not believing Harry to believing Harry and Sirius Black dies) but it has the series best villain: Dolores. I hated Dolores more than I hated Voldemort which can be problematic for the whole series but part of the reason she's an effective villain in this movie is because she has authority over Harry Potter until the end as professor/inquisitor/headmaster.  A-

4) Deathly Hollows Part I: The opening and the ending are pretty great and then there's the middle where not much happens even though it has some great character/relationship moments. Still better than the book. B+

5) Half-Blood Prince: Sure, Dumbledore dies but the whole movie is pretty much about Harry having to discover one piece of information that sends him on a generic RPG questline for the final two movies. Which guarantees that nothing happens for like 85% of the movie. Seriously, if Snape didn't kill Dumbledore then this would easily have gone down as the most boring entry. B

6) Sorcerer's Stone: My childhood but I think it holds up relatively fine. It takes a while to get to the main plot but it doesn't matter because it's introducing us to Hogwarts, the characters, and magic. And it's this sense of awe that really allows the movie to charm it's way through it's weak points. B

7) Goblet of Fire: Actually does better every time I watch it. The return of Voldemort is easily the movie's best part and really does make one excited to see the remaining entries. B

8) Chamber of Secrets: It's like the first one but with a lot less awe. I feel like they should have replaced Chris Columbus for this film as well because it really is a darker story-Columbus is better at the light stuff. Still, there are parts of it that do work. B-

• Like 1

1. Deathly Hallows Part 1 - Definitely the best one for me. The change of setting. The visuals. The Locations. The storyline. It all worked very well. It annoys me when people go on about how it's a "Part 1" so it's an inferior film in general. Those people have no idea what they are saying. Sure it didn't have "real" climax. But this was the first film to start the whole "Part 1" trend so it was divided at least in a large a part due to the fact they actually had enough story to stretch as well as place where they thought they could end the film. Not like Mockingjay Part 1 which was like 2 hours of pure filler.

2. Prisoner of Azkaban - It was that perfect in-between of being a darker Harry Potter film but still leaving a lot of room to go darker with the future installments. Despite not being as "dark" as some of the future films would go I think that it definitely is one of the best at exploring that darker feel. Mainly I think so highly of this film because it is PROBABLY my favorite story of all the films.

3. Deathly Hallows Part 2 - Probably would have been #1 a while ago but now that I think that It's a solid 3rd for me right now. It's about as good as a final as I could have hoped for and it really drives the feeling of finality into you. Everything from beginning to end does a tremendous job of making you feel like this is really where it's all ending. My favourite part would have to be the ending when they play the leaving Hogwarts theme again. That made me very emotional.

4. Half-Blood Prince - Most people I talk to don't like this one because of all the teen angst and the book changes but it was always one of my favourites. I was really surprised by how much humor they added into it compared to the previous films and looking back I think it is probably both the darkest and the funniest of the Harry Potter films.

5. Goblet of Fire - I remember not liking this one so much the first time I saw. That was 10 years ago now so I don't really remember why just that I wasn't fond of it. Since then my opinion has changed drastically and I now like it a lot but for some reason it just doesn't compare to the top 4 for me. Pros: The storyline was great and I feel Cedric's death was handled very well. Cons: Am I the only one who found the characters could be annoying at times in this one?

6. Sorcerer's Stone - This one I find hard to form an opinion on. I like it. It's a classic. It's the first one. It does a great job of setting up the franchise. But idk it just has that feeling of being hard to judge objectively for me so because of that it falls lower on the list.

7. Chamber of Secrets - Chamber of Secrets is like the anti-Catching Fire for me. When I saw CF for the first time I was amazed at how the film managed to include the entirety of the book and do it in such a perfect way. I mean that's what everyone always said whenever book adaptations came out right? It was always based on how well the film could match the book. Chamber of Secrets is an example of what happens when you try and be too much like the book and it just doesn't work out. It was simply too long and had too much filler imo. Not that I hated or disliked the film. I just think it has much more noticeable flaws then the others.

8. Order of the Phoenix - Always my least favourite. Tbh my opinion is probably very outdated as I haven't seen it since it was released. I was just too disappointed by what they cut, how they took the story, and how it fit into the series that I never rewatched it