Automatically embedding has been temporarily turned off until the Twitter bug has been fixed. This will only affect new posts made. Once the issue has been fixed, automatic embedding will return. It is possible to manually embed content I believe. If you quote a post with an embedded tweet, please delete the tweet.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

grim22

Meg | Aug 10 2018 | WB-China co-production | IMAX 3D | Jon Turteltaub directing. Jason Statham fights a shark. Li Bingbing replaces Fan Bingbing.

256 posts in this topic

I think cheese is all but unavoidable, whether they intend it or not.

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Tele Came Back said:

I think cheese is all but unavoidable, whether they intend it or not.

But that's the key.  There's cheese in Jurassic World as well.  But it still maintained the same kind of atmosphere as the original, regardless of how much you hate it Tele. :)

1 hour ago, baumer said:

But that's the key.  There's cheese in Jurassic World as well.  But it still maintained the same kind of atmosphere as the original, regardless of how much you hate it Tele. :)

Using JW is not a great example to convince me. :P 

But talking about box-office possibilities, JW leaned heavily on nostalgia for that specific series (above and beyond general interest in dinosaurs). MEG can't rely on that, and I think no matter how well done it is, it's going to suffer from the fact we've seen these sorts of movies a billion times. Inevitably there's gonna be a fair amount of time where we just have to sit through the story beats that we all know are coming.

5 people like this

41 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

Using JW is not a great example to convince me. :P 

But talking about box-office possibilities, JW leaned heavily on nostalgia for that specific series (above and beyond general interest in dinosaurs). MEG can't rely on that, and I think no matter how well done it is, it's going to suffer from the fact we've seen these sorts of movies a billion times. Inevitably there's gonna be a fair amount of time where we just have to sit through the story beats that we all know are coming.

I don't think this movie is gonna be big.  It feels like a B list movie given a bigger push cause...something soething Jurassic World Furious movies ...that's the pitch, and The Rock was busy.

And this bothers me none.  I don't need Meg 2.  Let's just Turteltaub can deliver on the OTT stupidity and giant monster Shark v Statham I want from this movie.  Turteltaub, don't try too hard.  Just go with it.  

3 people like this

If theres not an play on "Your gonna need a bigger boat" Ill be upset.

Id love to see Statham say "Smile you son of bitch" too

2 people like this

25 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Id love to see Statham say "Smile you son of bitch" too

For some reason...if Statham just quotes Jaws in his signature voice than makes his face...I'll be happy.

Of course I'm the guy who wants Statham to be the Genie in Disney's Aladdin remake.

4 people like this

I'd see Statham in anything so maybe that is part of my enthusiasm as well.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 9:24 PM, baumer said:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/207115/meg-adaptation-edge-seat-scary/

Meg Adaptation to Be Edge-of-Your-Seat Scary

Author Steve Alten recently sat down with our buddies over at iHorror to discuss what to expect from the upcoming big screen adaptation of Meg. Gotta say, we love what we hear so far.

Filming completed in New Zealand and China in mid-December,” Alten tells the site. “I have not seen any footage other than what has been posted on Instagram, but I understand everything looks amazing. It will be edge-of-your-seat scary. First and foremost, this is not just a shark; it’s a Megalodon, the most fearsome predator in the history of the planet… which just happens to be a prehistoric version of a 70-foot Great White.”

Warner Bros. Pictures and China’s acclaimed science-fiction film acclaimed science-fiction film Gravity Pictures said that the film will release during the 2018 Chinese New Year period in China. The week-long annual holidays kick off on Friday, February 16, in 2018, some two weeks ahead of the film’s previously announced March 2, 2018, outing in the rest of the world.

Jon Turteltaub (the National Treasure movies, Last Vegas) directs.

Meg is produced by di Bonaventura Pictures, Apelles Entertainment, Maeday Productions, Inc., and Flagship Entertainment, in association with Beijing Digital Impression (BDI) Film. Flagship is the Hong Kong-domiciled, Beijing-based production joint venture among Warner, China Media Capital, and Hong Kong’s Television Broadcasts (TVB.) acclaimed science-fiction film acclaimed science-fiction film Gravity Pictures is a China Media Capital subsidiary.

The story involves a deep-sea submersible attacked by a massive creature, previously thought to be extinct. The vessel lies disabled at the bottom of the deepest trench in the Pacific with its crew trapped inside. The screenplay is written by Dean Georgaris along with Jon Hoeber and Erich Hoeber, based on the New York Times best-selling book by Steve Alten.

In addition to Jason Statham and Li Bingbing, the cast includes Winston Chao,  Masi Oka, New Zealander Cliff Curtis, Rainn Wilson,  Ruby Rose,  Page Kennedy, Jessica McNamee,  Olafur Darri Olafsson,  Robert Taylor,  and Sophia Shuya Cai.

More as we get it!

Edited by THE PHENOMENAL BKB
1 person likes this

On 4/20/2017 at 2:41 AM, Jay Hollywood said:

They already just did it in Fast 8 (at least in the trailer, don't know if it made the movie), there is a "We're gonna need a bigger truck" when the submarine get out of the water.

1 person likes this

On 4/19/2017 at 9:58 PM, John Marston said:

wonder if this will be R rated

Likely not, it's likely going the PG-13 route. Probably the reason why Eli Roth (who was supposed to direct it) left.

9 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Likely not, it's likely going the PG-13 route. Probably the reason why Eli Roth (who was supposed to direct it) left.

Yeah, but you know how it is nowadays when it comes to a films ratings.. PG-13 Theatrically and on Blu-Ray/DVD, you get the "Unrated Edition" or "Ultimate Cut" with more grit.. I'm pretty sure a PG-13 Rating with this will more than push the boundaries, especially when you see JURASSIC WORLD was PG-13 and was the most violent JURASSIC PARK movie yet.. Some of the deaths in that movie were downright gruesome for PG-13.. More than likely, Eli Roth wanted to make this a straight up horror movie when it's more of horror/adventure/thriller combined...  Here.. Now I thoroughly enjoyed this when it aired on SHARK WEEK back in 2013 and granted, Discovery Channel did a hell of a job convincing people this damn thing still existed and as a result, Discovery Channel got into a little hot water over it for misleading viewers, even though they deny it still, but nevertheless this was thoroughly entertaining and convincing at the time... This was in fact a real shark that lived at one time and still could at the deepest part of the Ocean, but who knows??

It sounds more like a PG-13 kind of movie anyway. I think they could easily go the Kong: Skull Island route and push for hard PG-13 content (brutality and violence without going overboard).

PG-13 is fine, The Shallows was PG-13 and it was terrific.

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Why didn't it make it's February release target? :popcorn:

I don't know, but to me, this is more of a Summer movie than something for Feb or March.. Clearly, they're taking their time on this to ensure it's done right... I only pray the ending of the Novel isn't used for the movie adaptation.. I would frown greatly.. :bourne:

Edited by THE PHENOMENAL BKB

Spoiler

The ending in which the main character rams a sub down the shark's gullet, crawls out and cuts out its heart? If it was in the film, it would be a big talk about movie after people have seen it. As in, Oh My God, did you see that?!?!?

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Yandereprime101189 said:
  Hide contents

The ending in which the main character rams a sub down the shark's gullet, crawls out and cuts out its heart? If it was in the film, it would be a big talk about movie after people have seen it. As in, Oh My God, did you see that?!?!?

That. Sounds. Fucking. Amazing

Posted (edited)

It would be a shame if they didn't use it. It is bonkers no doubt, but it's one of the reasons why I loved the book when I first read it. It's a more unique idea than blowing up the shark.

Spoiler

Best yet he does it with a shark tooth, I believe.

Plus, it's Jason Statham, SO WHY NOT USE IT

Edited by Yandereprime101189
1 person likes this

7 hours ago, THE PHENOMENAL BKB said:

I don't know, but to me, this is more of a Summer movie than something for Feb or March.. Clearly, they're taking their time on this to ensure it's done right... I only pray the ending of the Novel isn't used for the movie adaptation.. I would frown greatly.. :bourne:

Seems like they wanted to make Chinese New Year though.