158 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

My earlier review, with some detail.

First off, avoid 3D in you can. Maybe it was that screen, but I didn't see any benefit to it. Basically it adds nothing to the movie. Like nothing. 2D will probably look better. Lots of CGI scenes seem darker (especially the final fight between Rex and the new i-Rex)) which makes it look kinda atrocious. The CGI itself looked good on big screen. The color grading worked well for me. Its way more polished then the trailers, but I think there'll be complaints about the CGI, because they definitely don't hold back with it. Its everywhere. 

The soundtrack was decent enough. Obviously the JP theme gets used a few times. Giacchino did a decent job. 

The plot, well is predictable as the trailers demonstrated with a bit of evil corporate guy. I feel like Pratt was a bit out of his depth here in the movie, not helped by the dialogue which ranged from cringeworthy to okayish. He did at least look like he was enjoying his role, the other characters I can't say the same, I didn't feel much for them. Howard had mostly wooden acting throughout the movie, though the last half, she started making an effort, but doesn't save it. Maybe it was her the way her character written, but wasn't impressed that much. Nobody else made an impression on me tbh. Kids were annoying as hell. Johnson was decent as Lowery. 

The tone of the movie also weirdly changes as it gets bloody, I wouldn't mind this if the dialogue was better (which it wasn't).

But its great to see dinosaurs on big screen. Just a shame about the rest. Only reason to see this is probably Pratt and dinosaurs and action.

The product placement is definitely there, and can be very intrusive. One scene was straight out of a car commercial, and other shots with logos in your face or the background definitely tells you its a hollywood film. 

I'll settle my grade around B. I was also happy to see Rex return. 

Edited by BoxOfficeZ
  • Like 1

What doesn't work:

The kids, who probably could have been cut from the film with the gain of fleshing out the stock figures already at the park. I know Spielberg = kids, but they're only loosely and clumsily tied to BDL and they're not good actors at all.

The dialogue, all of it, grating to listen to and entirely robotic.

BDL's character-- no empathetic qualities yet she's the lead of the film and falls for Pratt's sexism for no evident reason in the script or the action. Shame in a pretty progressive summer this film's got a huge women problem.

Every character-- some lesser versions of JP, some just constructed horribly from the start. The antagonist's first scene is him wanting to get dinosaurs in the military. Amazingly enough he only gets worse from there.

Pratt's an incredibly capable actor who was not right for the material.

The product placement

The CGI

The lighting

The filmmaking

The movie

What works:

Jake Johnson, but only kind of, because he's charming and not his horribly written wisecracks.

Uh.. uhh... uhhh... some arial shots looked... nice...

Indy was a better fourquel than this.

D+

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 2

I think it's gross how the film tries to satirize corporate culture when this is the safest, least joyful, most highly calibrated blockbuster itself, complete with previs-ed action scenes that hardly have anything to do with the rest of the film's 'plot'. It felt like some executive wrote the script.

Edited by Gopher

I love a surprise and this is definitely one, better than 2 and 3.

Liked the humor, it is actually works and it didn't overwhelm the story.

The actors and its characters were decent. The kids weren't horrible, that's a plus, but they were a bit melodramatic at parts. IMHO, Claire was the best character in the film (not saying much though), she had a nice character development.

The beginning is rushed, it feels like that we go from point A to point B with no rhythm, the bad sound editing makes it even worse. Fortunately, It improves greatly after i-Rex escapes, it captures that tense scenes envolving dino and humans that Spielberg knew to do so well.

People applauded 3 times in my showing, when the boys jump in the river (clip released a few days ago), when BDH and Pratt characters kiss and the Godzilla moment.

I also didn't like the overly violent, sadistic way that they killed Claire's assistant, she did nothing to deserve that. The dino geek was fucking annoying, all I wanted was to punch him in the face. The climax was super dumb. I wasn't super bothered by the product placement.

75/100

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2

I swear to GOD, I literally lol'ed at the part when the I-Rex is about to kill Pratt at then end and then you hear a raptor call and see the slow-mo shot of Blue running in to save the day.  Unintentional hilarity at it's best.

Jesus, there is almost nothing that works in this movie, is there? 

• Like 7