Premium and Gold members please go to this thread:

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/24403-paid-perks/

Copper and Silver Accounts please PM me if you have paid past August 1st and care about the "Custom Avatar" (or really larger avatar) perk.

K1stpierre

Finding Dory #1 DOM Movie of 2016 DOM total $482M, the odds are looking good in our favor! Shout out to Mahnamahna for being the closest w/o being over!

DamienRoc    10,614

I dont have a good enough grasp on 2016 releases to put my opinion in, but I think it has a chance. I have a good idea that Suicide Squad will break out HUGE so I think that might beat this, but we'll have to see!

That's... an interesting choice for possible frontrunner.

K1stpierre    16,611

I dont have a good enough grasp on 2016 releases to put my opinion in, but I think it has a chance. I have a good idea that Suicide Squad will break out HUGE so I think that might beat this, but we'll have to see!

Suicide squad if it's marketed well could pull a GOTG and make around 350 (again, that's if all the stars are aligned like guardians was), but that won't be close to dory.

a2knet    11,303

Suicide squad if it's marketed well could pull a GOTG and make around 350 (again, that's if all the stars are aligned like guardians was), but that won't be close to dory.

Yeah. If BvS is appreciated a lot and does close to 500m, and it references SS smartly, it will increase SS's prospect significantly. Then if stars align like GotG, 350m could happen.

miketheavenger    2,842

I think this is definitely possible, but if BvS delivers quality-wise it's going above 450m and I have Dory around TS3 numbers at the moment. So for now I'm out, BUT if The Good Dinosaur is excellent and/or breaks out big in November, I'll join this club.

MrFanaticGuy34    1,550

Hmm. I'm still sticking with my $545M DOM.

1. Finding Dory: $545M

2. Captain America: Civil War: $415-465M

3. Batman Vs Superman: $405-455M

But my question is......why do people here tend to overestimate Marvel/DC movies and underestimate Pixar?

peludo    3,908

Hmm. I'm still sticking with my $545M DOM.

1. Finding Dory: $545M

2. Captain America: Civil War: $415-465M

3. Batman Vs Superman: $405-455M

But my question is......why do people here tend to overestimate Marvel/DC movies and underestimate Pixar?

Well, it is not just a matter of brands. You are taking the amount of Finding Nemo adjusted and applying 3D to give a prediction for Finding Dory. You could do the same for Batman or Iron Man films, don't you think? The last 2 Batman films average $553m adjusted without 3D. And we do not take into account the appeal of a showdown against Superman, or Wonder Woman appearance. And the 3 last Iron Man films (IM3 and both Avengers) adjust to $500m. Maybe there are other people who are understimating Marvel/DC... At the end this is just a game and each one has their own opinions/feelings.

And let's remember that the two last big Pixar sequels, Toy Story 3 and Monsters University did not match enormous expectations. Maybe Monsters Inc is behind FN in popularity, but not Toy Story. I am a big defender of Pixar films. I love nearly all of them, but to think in well over $500m for FD is a quite risky prediction. Low it $100m and we could agree. On the other side, I do not see so strange to think in $500m figures for Batman or Avengers films (CA3 is in fact an Avengers movie). Just because it has already happened...

• Like 1

Olive    23,428
1. Finding Dory: $460M
2. Batman Vs Superman: $415M
3. Captain America: Civil War: $375M
  • Like 3

Giesi    576

Well, it is not just a matter of brands. You are taking the amount of Finding Nemo adjusted and applying 3D to give a prediction for Finding Dory. You could do the same for Batman or Iron Man films, don't you think? The last 2 Batman films average $553m adjusted without 3D. And we do not take into account the appeal of a showdown against Superman, or Wonder Woman appearance. And the 3 last Iron Man films (IM3 and both Avengers) adjust to $500m. Maybe there are other people who are understimating Marvel/DC... At the end this is just a game and each one has their own opinions/feelings.

And let's remember that the two last big Pixar sequels, Toy Story 3 and Monsters University did not match enormous expectations. Maybe Monsters Inc is behind FN in popularity, but not Toy Story. I am a big defender of Pixar films. I love nearly all of them, but to think in well over $500m for FD is a quite risky prediction. Low it $100m and we could agree. On the other side, I do not see so strange to think in $500m figures for Batman or Avengers films (CA3 is in fact an Avengers movie). Just because it has already happened...

1. I don't think IM3 adjusts to $500m, maybe 415-420m.

2. TS3 was a huge success, it was the biggest movie of the year, great legs, only the second animated film to gross over $400m AND it even came out bigger than its two predecessors.

peludo    3,908

1. I don't think IM3 adjusts to $500m, maybe 415-420m.

2. TS3 was a huge success, it was the biggest movie of the year, great legs, only the second animated film to gross over $400m AND it even came out bigger than its two predecessors.

1. I said last 3 Iron Man films (Avengers + IM3 + Ultron) / 3. If you adjust the 3 films and add the amounts you have 1.5 billion. Divided by 3, you have that the average of last 3 films where Iron Man has been in adjust to $500m. I consider CA3 as a new Avengers film, so I include the 2 team-up films in the operation.

2. TS3 was a huge success and still was "just" able to manage $415m, which means $435m adjusted. That seems a quite good prediction for Dory, IMHO. @MrFanaticGuy34 is talking about $540m and I see it a bit unrealistic.

And don't get me wrong. I love Pixar. It is one of the best things that have happened to cinema in last 20 years, but I think the two main SH brands have more appealing in US than the sequel of my well-beloved Nemo. Even more when both SH films promise to show the confrontation of extremely popular characters. I just try to be realistic. That's all.

Edited by peludo

K1stpierre    16,611

Well you can't ignore the potential for bat vs sup, because it dies have wonder woman in it as well. I just don't think the legs will be high enough to get past dory, which I think will have tremendous legs because I think it'll appeal to pretty much anyone (not to mention the big family business).

K1stpierre    16,611

I just want this to beat Shrek 2's DOM gross. That movie held that record for 11-12 years. Even longer than The Lion King.

I think Finding Dory would have to be dissapointing in order for that to happen. I see it going past it for sure.

• Like 1

K1stpierre    16,611

Bumping this up, as we're past the 6 month mile. I'm officially closing this club February 1st, so it's before any knowledge of what BvS makes to make it fair.

JonathanLB    1,320
On June 17, 2015 at 11:31 PM, DAJK said:

No (and never been) but rather just a blind fanboy who is letting his bias show :P

Why would that be biased?! I would be shocked if Rogue One isn't plus or minus $75M from $450M. I can't imagine anyone seriously thinks it won't hit $400M

• Like 1

filmnerdjamie    2,863

Without question, this is the winner of the summer. But I'm not 100% sold on it conquering the year as a whole.

Maybe but Star Wars is still red hot and despite the wariness of two films back-to-back about the Death Star, I wouldn't underestimate Rogue One. On the fence here...

MrFanaticGuy34    1,550
15 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Why would that be biased?! I would be shocked if Rogue One isn't plus or minus $75M from $450M. I can't imagine anyone seriously thinks it won't hit $400M

I don't think Rogue One will be that huge this year. It'll be a huge hit....but not enough to overcome Dory, though.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34