Blankments

Blank's Top 100 Films Of The 21st Century! (FINALLY COMPLETE!)

Return%2Bto%2BMain%2BPage%2Bfor%2BScott%

Release Date: August 13, 2010.

Director: Edgar Wright.
Starring: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and Kieran Culkin.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 33.269M
RottenTomatoes: 82%
Average BOT Reviews: 85% (32 votes)

I’m one of those members who was heartbroken when Edgar Wright left Ant-Man, leaving a soulless dull Marvely Marvel movie in its wake. I think he’s a visionary in comedy despite having only seen two of his movies. The better of the two is Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, coincidentally his only adaptation. I’d like to take this time to say that those who complain that he needs to direct a Star Wars movie that he already has in the third act of this. His manic energy and creative comedic setpieces are a joy to watch always, and they come to a head in this movie, still the “biggest” he’s made so far.

The entire cast is fun, although Anna Kendrick is kinda wasted. Kieran Culkin should’ve become a much bigger star from this movie as he steals the show without any sense of effort. All the Evil Exs are entertaining but a special shout-out to Brandon Routh, who has the absolute best scene in the film. The fights are a joy to behold, as the choreography is astounding, and Wright’s playing with aspect ratios and the way the screen is presented is always fun. It’s just a fun, hyperactive movie that’s consistently funny and just joyous. Wright’s greatest so far.

• Like 5

Spirited_Away_poster.JPG

Release Date: September 20, 2002.

Director: Hayao Miyazaki.
Starring: Daveigh Chase, Jason Marsden, and Suzanne Pleshette.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 14.274M
RottenTomatoes: 97%
Average BOT Reviews: 93% (26 votes)

I’ve been told again and again that Miyazaki is a genius filmmaker.  I actually can never prove to myself that he is a great filmmaker, as I’ve only seen a couple of his films. One of them, Ponyo, is a film I considered complete trash. Although I might be kinder to it today, I still don’t think it’s a good movie.  Spirited Away though… I completely understand why it’s a considered a masterpiece; as it’s completely magical and totally entertaining.

There are some points in Spirited Away when I think it’s a bit too cartoony, but then I realize, it’s okay to be cartoony, it’s about spirits. It does feel totally different world but not really in a scary way; in a magical way. I guess the best comparison would be Narnia except that Spirited Away is infinitely better than any Narnia film. The English voice acting is pretty good for a dub, especially since they don’t go for any big names, instead sticking with seasoned voice actors (although I always found it odd how Chester from The Fairly OddParents is a major supporting role). It’s a movie made for children that I saw when I was older and still loved the magical fairy tale vibe. Good show.

• Like 6

G3RLfvV.jpg

Release Date: October 10, 2014.

Director: Damien Chazelle.
Starring: Miles Teller, J.K. Simmons, and Paul Reiser.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 13.409M
RottenTomatoes: 94%
Average BOT Reviews: 93% (44 votes)

I remember being absolutely desperate trying to get to see this film. It never seemed like it’d be going wide or at least hitting a theater by me. A couple days after finished my top of 2015 list, it managed to hit my local college theater to my great surprise. I saw it in an empty theater and absolutely loved it. It’s hard to single out my favorite part of a movie frequently, but for once, Whiplash exceeds greatly at one aspect: the editing. I can hear Tele cringing now, but I don’t care; the editing aligns perfectly with the jazz theme, and the entire competition between Fletcher and Neiman is also personified via the quick back and forth of the editing and cinematography working in tandem.

The script is a lot of fun, featuring a lot of amusing lines. I’ve already written quite a bit on my thoughts of Damien Chazelle’s stellar direction, which you can read here. Obviously, Simmons is perfect in the role of Fletcher, being utterly terrifying in every scene. The real unsung hero of the film is Miles Teller, as his role requires a much more subtle performance but also intensely physical. It’s a film that also manages to be deeply personal to me thanks to its portrayal of competitive arts, a world rarely seen in cinema. Whiplash is an electric film that’s impossible to turn your eyes away from once you start watching it.

• Like 2

Return%2Bto%2BMain%2BPage%2Bfor%2BScott%

Release Date: August 13, 2010.

Director: Edgar Wright.
Starring: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and Kieran Culkin.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 33.269M
RottenTomatoes: 82%
Average BOT Reviews: 85% (32 votes)

I’m one of those members who was heartbroken when Edgar Wright left Ant-Man, leaving a soulless dull Marvely Marvel movie in its wake. I think he’s a visionary in comedy despite having only seen two of his movies. The better of the two is Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, coincidentally his only adaptation. I’d like to take this time to say that those who complain that he needs to direct a Star Wars movie that he already has in the third act of this. His manic energy and creative comedic setpieces are a joy to watch always, and they come to a head in this movie, still the “biggest” he’s made so far.

The entire cast is fun, although Anna Kendrick is kinda wasted. Kieran Culkin should’ve become a much bigger star from this movie as he steals the show without any sense of effort. All the Evil Exs are entertaining but a special shout-out to Brandon Routh, who has the absolute best scene in the film. The fights are a joy to behold, as the choreography is astounding, and Wright’s playing with aspect ratios and the way the screen is presented is always fun. It’s just a fun, hyperactive movie that’s consistently funny and just joyous. Wright’s greatest so far.

You have to see Hot Fuzz, have to have to! it's by far his best film. 

• Like 1

lilo-stitch-original.jpg

Release Date: June 21, 2002.

Director: Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois.
Starring: Chris Sanders, Daveigh Chase, and Tia Carrere.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 210.536M
RottenTomatoes: 86%
Average BOT Reviews: 100% (7 votes)

This is the last movie that will appear on this list as one that’s solely a childhood memory flick, but damn is it a good one. And heck, it still holds up today. Even more of important note, it’s the last traditionally animated film to make this list, and I think that just might say more about the medium of animation in this decade than anything. DuBlois and Sanders are helped by the 2D domain as the character designs are infinitely more charming in this than in How to Train Your Dragon. As for the film itself, it’s a quirky little fun movie, featuring a heartwarming message and a lot of bizarre humor.

Lilo and Stitch are a great combination of leads. The former is a weirdo and the latter was created weird. It’s interesting how Daveigh Chase voices the lead of both the best 2002 animated films, at least in America of course. The rest of the voice cast does pretty well, but to name highlights would just end up me listing every character and voice actor; however, I feel comfortable mentioning Sanders’ Stitch as also being a major highlight of the film. It’s just a movie I’ll always look back on fondly as a good film from my childhood, in addition to today being one of the more fun, out-there, Disney films.

• Like 3

Gravity.jpg

Release Date: October 4, 2013.

Director: Alfonso Cuaron.
Starring: Sandra Bullock and George Clooney.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 276.348M
RottenTomatoes: 97%
Average BOT Reviews: 93% (117 votes)

Gravity is the only Alfonso Cuaron film I’ve seen. Yes, I know this needs to be corrected since Children of Men looks excellent, but Gravity is an amazing tour-de-force in filmmaking. It’s a roller coaster of a film that’s exciting in every form, on any screen size. That said, it’d be great if you did catch it on the world’s biggest screen (not that I did, but IMAX 3D was indeed pretty sweet). Speaking of 3D, this movie probably has the best 3D of… any movie actually. I feel comfortable saying that because it has the right mix of gimmicks and deep space used, and none of the gimmicks stick out in a 2D watch.

But the movie itself. It’s a brisk 90 minute thriller with utterly gorgeous effects. To be honest, I don’t see the effects will ever be outdone in any type of cinema; it’s stellar in every way. Sandra Bullock gives her best performance ever, harrowing and emotional in the best way. George Clooney is decent too, making the most of his brief screentime. Obviously Lubezki gives his best work yet in it, working with Cuaron to make a bunch of thematically concerned one-takes and gorgeous shots. Steven Price’s score is fantastic too, with many tracks being infinitely re-listenable. Cuaron directed the shit out of Gravity, and it shows as it’s the greatest sci-fi film of the new millennium (that I’ve seen).

• Like 3

grand_budapest_hotel_sm.jpg

Release Date: March 6, 2014.

Director: Wes Anderson.
Starring: Ralph Fiennes, F. Murray Abraham, and Mathieu Amalric.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 60.279M
RottenTomatoes: 92%
Average BOT Reviews: 93% (50 votes)

Two in a row of a director where I’ve really only seen one work of his, but it’s so good, it takes the list extremely high. I realize I need to see more Wes Anderson films, with this being essentially the only one I’ve seen (I saw Fantastic Mr. Fox in 280p Freshman Year in high school so I don’t really count that). It’s super charming but also quite heart wrenching at points. Every time I rewatch Budapest I notice something different, and the melancholy grows too with every rewatch.

It has the best ensemble of 2014, or really of any movie this half decade. Ralph Fiennes leads it brilliantly in a snubbed performance by everywhere but here. Desplat’s score is brilliant too, having ample charm to spare. It fits the entire film, which is hilarious and well-made thanks to the directorial touch of Wes Anderson. It feels like a storybook at times. Fittingly, I’ll keep this one short, as The Grand Budapest Hotel is as short and sweet as one of Mendl’s desserts.

• Like 4

HER_PROMO_ART_4C.jpg

Release Date: December 18, 2013.

Director: Spike Jonze.
Starring: Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams, and Rooney Mara.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 26.898M
RottenTomatoes: 94%
Average BOT Reviews: 92% (54 votes)

2013 was the first year I really got into watching adult dramas (aka R-rated dramas), and there’s a film under that category from that year that is, in my opinion, the best film of 2013. You might’ve guessed it’s Her, and you’d be right! I’ve only seen it once, despite being tempted to rewatch it several times. It’s a film that eventually influenced me to do something really stupid, but I hold no resentment against the film because of it; I just think the movie is brilliant in how it depicts relationships. It uses the inherent dichotomy of earnestness and falseness of Samantha to reveal the hope behind the idea of love.

Joaquin Phoenix gives my favorite performance of his ever in this role of Theodore Twombly. Again, the pathetic lovability works extremely well and it’s impossible not to smile when he tries to woo Samantha. Johannsson’s voice work and Adams’ performance are both astounding to hear/see too. Jonze’s script is heartfelt, funny, and just a masterpiece of melancholy. If I had rewatched it, it’d probably be much higher (case in point: Foxcatcher would’ve been in my top 30 if I had rewatched it before making this list). It’s just an astounding film on every level.

• Like 6

from_indesign.jpg

Release Date: November 23, 2011.

Director: James Bobin.
Starring: Jason Segel, Amy Adams, and Chris Cooper.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 94.863M
RottenTomatoes: 96%
Average BOT Reviews: 92% (21 votes)

Jason Segel’s love letter to all things felt and furry clocks in here at #15 and also the best film of 2011. It’s just so fun, and the passion project feel behind it is strong. Segel realizes he can’t sing or dance that great, but who cares? It’s the Muppets, and he’s charged himself with bring them back (if you wonder why I credit him over Bobin and Stoller, it’s because I’m not a fan of Most Wanted at all, but I digress). This is one of the funniest Muppet movies, consistently getting laughs out of me with jokes packed in every frame, and the music is just lovely.

One of the real reasons I love it though is that it champions idealism over cynicism. I know that’s kind of the point of The Muppets, but at the time when it came out, all the franchise revivals for younger audiences were made exclusively for kids; the Muppets are meant for all ages, and this film realizes that. It has enough heart and whereas the idea that “fans can save the world” could be problematic in another film, in this, it just feels like the Muppets, and that’s appropriate for it. It even made me cry the first time I saw it. The Muppets is how you make a family film in today’s filmmaking climate, and it’s obviously one of my favorites.

• Like 4

Battle_Royale-japanese-film-poster.jpg

Release Date: December 16, 2000.

Director: Kinji Fukasaku.
Starring: Tatsuya Fujiwara, Aki Maeda, and Taro Yamamoto.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: N/A
RottenTomatoes: 86%
Average BOT Reviews: 96% (11 votes)

This is a movie that’s hard for me to talk about. Fun fact: it’s the highest ranking film on this list that I’ve only seen once. It’s a harrowing experience while also managing to be a witty satire. All the actors in it are great, along with the direction. What I really love though is how it frames its story. This is just the way things are in this world. It may be unfair but it is what it is. There’s no rebellion and no people teaming up to try to get out their predicament. This is war and war is hell.

The action is good for what it’s meant to be, but what’s really impressive is how every character (except for one) has sympathetic qualities. A far cry from The Hunger Games (sorry-not-sorry for the comparison), where the only people you care about are the leads. It’s an interesting morality film that’s hard to talk about. It’s a lot of style over substance, but when the miniscule substance is still thought-provoking, that’s okay.

• Like 1

Movie_poster_zoolander.jpg

Release Date: September 28, 2001.

Director: Ben Stiller.
Starring: Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, and Will Ferrell.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 66.557M
RottenTomatoes: 64%
Average BOT Reviews: 85% (13 votes)

But why male models? Ben Stiller’s comedic masterpiece, Zoolander, answers this question with a different question: But why male models? I wasn’t that impressed the first time I saw Zoolander, but I did watch at 1 in the morning after a New Year’s Eve party. However, I then caught it three more times with six months and every consecutive time it got funnier and funnier. I think it might just be my favorite comedy ever. Stiller’s energetic direction works for his energetic characters, and there are moments when I think of a scene and just burst out laughing because of the memory.

Stiller assembled a great cast too for this comedic masterstroke. Owen Wilson has never been funnier than Hansel, who is still hot right now. Will Ferrell is brilliant too as Mugatu, and every supporting character works well within the film. Stiller plays Zoolander wonderfully, and it’s a true miracle that he directed and starred in one of the best comedies ever made. I know there’s a sequel coming out next year, but I just gotta hope that it’s good. If it’s not, its okay; I can just rewatch this for the millionth time and it’ll be even funnier than the last time.

• Like 2

eaZXZHz.jpg

Release Date: February 7, 2014.
Director: Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.
Starring: Chris Pratt, Will Ferrell, and Elizabeth Banks.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 269.509M
RottenTomatoes: 96%
Average BOT Reviews: 93% (72 votes)

I remember when I first saw the trailer for The LEGO Movie on my computer and was worried there was something wrong with my internet. After all, it did seem to lag quite a bit. I soon discovered that was the look of the film, and I fell in love with the marketing and was heavily anticipating the film. When I saw it, it surpassed my high expectations. Everything was awesome (ha, you thought I was going to save that for the closing sentence, didn’t you?). The humor, the voice-acting, the twists and turns of the story. I was thoroughly charmed.

What makes LEGO truly great is the ending, which makes you realize that for a movie based on toys, it actually realizes it. For all the wacky madcap action behind the story, there’s a simple explanation. A wonderfully simple explanation. An explanation that makes the film Phil Lord and Chris Miller’s greatest achievement yet. For all the insanity, this is a very human, very loving film, one that you can’t watch without a smile, and frequently, without a tear. It’s the best thing to come out of the many years of LEGO products. It’s a movie that should just be a commercial, but it transcends that. It’s great cinema, and redefines what CGI animation can do in today’s filmmaking climate.

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 2