Blankments

Blank's Top 100 Films Of The 21st Century! (FINALLY COMPLETE!)

Chicago_ten.jpg

Release Date: February 29, 2008.
Director: Brett Morgen.
Starring: Hank Azaria, Dylan Baker, and Nick Nolte.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 0.201M
RottenTomatoes: 80%
Average BOT Reviews: 100% (1 vote - mine!)

Here’s one I suggest everyone see: Chicago 10 is a striking documentary with a fascinating visual style. Re-enacting through motion capture animation the transcripts of the famed trial, this works as a biopic in addition to the documentary aspects. It’s an evocative film that most people have never heard of. I can’t really blame them seeing how indie it is. Let me put it this way; if I could actually find a copy of this to rewatch, it’d probably be significantly higher up in the countdown. Still, Chicago 10 is one of the best documentaries I’ve seen, both in entertainment and in emotion.
  • Like 2

hnz61x7q6LGknGD3kCOMO2KQLRv.jpg

Release Date: July 20, 2012.
Director: Christopher Nolan.
Starring: Christian Bale, Michael Caine, and Gary Oldman.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 467.724M
RottenTomatoes: 87%
Average BOT Reviews: 87% (194 votes)

Christopher Nolan makes the first of many appearances of this list with this controversial Batman entry. The Dark Knight Rises is a flawed movie; it has Nolan’s worst tendencies of exposition, and the action isn’t great… once again, as usual for Nolan. The thing it has going for it is a strong emotional backbone that I’d argue both the other Nolan Batman lacks. There is a real feeling of resolution with The Dark Knight Rises, and the final five minutes appropriately makes Blank emotional every time with goosebumps galore. Hardy and Hathaway are excellent additions to the franchise, the former’s performance being so good, you don’t think about “Eh, I wish this was about the Joker instead” once during the runtime, and the latter having a lot of fun with the role. It’s a nice, entertaining Batman movie with all the Nolan problems with it. It’s extremely enjoyable… for me.

• Like 10

Zodiac was awesome. I'd have to tie it with Prisoners as my favorite Jake Gyllenhaal movie (Note: I have Nightcrawler on Blu-Ray but have yet to watch it). Jarhead is also a really good one.

Zodiac is leagues better than Nightcrawler but Jake's performance is much better in the latter. In terms of acting Zodiac is mostly about RDJ and Ruffalo.

• Like 1

Marigold should be higher

TDKR should be in the trash can

Up is not right

Prisoners is a terrific film.

Carry on.

• Like 1

Personally I do find Avatar just as enjoyable at home

To be fair, Avatar hasn't been watched at home for quite a bit; mostly because I find watching long movies at home a futile practice. If I had rewatched it, it might be up higher or it might've not made it. Anyway...

argo.jpg

Release Date: October 12, 2012.
Director: Ben Affleck.
Starring: Ben Affleck, Bryan Cranston, and Alan Arkin.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 137.585M
RottenTomatoes: 96%
Average BOT Reviews: 93% (60 votes)

The first Best Picture winner arrives on this list, and it’s a pretty good one. Spoiler alert: Argo is not the best film of 2012, but it is one of the better ones. It’s all thanks to one man, Ben Affleck. The directing on Argo is astounding, making you forget the cheesy aspects of the scripts and go along with the tense atmosphere. It’s a lean thriller, and the third act, although a bit hackneyed at points, is one where you’ll sit on the edge of your seat the entire time. The cast is overall good, but lacks stand-outs, and the humor is well-utilized throughout the film. It’s hard to Argo and complain about this film winning, as it’s a pretty great movie in a phenomenal year.
  • Like 8

poster_1.jpg

Release Date: July 8, 2011.
Director: Seth Gordon.
Starring: Jason Bateman, Charlie Day, and Jason Sudeikis.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 120.210M
RottenTomatoes: 69%
Average BOT Reviews: 76% (15 votes)

The first time I watched Horrible Bosses, I was alone in my house and did a double feature of it and Pulp Fiction. I actually enjoyed Horrible Bosses more, and although I won’t say it’s a better film than Pulp Fiction, it is a much funnier film. This film is better than The Hangover because all three of the stars are hilarious, and Spacey, Foxx, and Aniston add to it too. It’s got a manic energy to the dark comedy proceedings that I find it hard to imagine anyone being disappointed with. Seriously, this is one of my favorite comedies ever, and it made me fall in love with Charlie Day. Win win!
Edited by Blankments
  • Like 6