Blankments

Blank's Top 100 Films Of The 21st Century! (FINALLY COMPLETE!)

CaptainPhillipsTomHanks.jpg

Release Date: October 11, 2013.

Director: Paul Greengrass.
Starring: Tom Hanks and Barkhad Abdi.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 107.101M
RottenTomatoes: 93%
Average BOT Reviews: 91% (43 votes)

Sometimes it’s easy to forget just how well Tom Hanks can act. After all, he’s such a familiar presence nowadays, you always know when you’re watching a Tom Hanks movie, right? Well, actually Captain Phillips is astounding as Hanks delivers a performance that is unrecognizable after the first five minutes. He truly embodies Phillips, and proves that he has a master class actor. It helps that the rest of the film is great too, as Greengrass’s direction perfectly fits the story, giving tension and thrills, and yet also delivering the great catharsis at the end, when Tom Hanks also delivers some of the best acting of his career. It’d also be remiss to not mention Barkhad Abdi, who gives the best debut performance in recent memory. His Muse is both terrifying and sympathetic, and he accurately portrays the role with such pathos that he stands with Hanks as a fantastic actor. Captain Phillips is the historical thriller that others should aspire to, as it does not do a single thing wrong.

• Like 6

21-jump-street-movie-poster.jpg

Release Date: March 16, 2012.

Director: Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.
Starring: Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum, and Brie Larson.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 140.419M
RottenTomatoes: 85%
Average BOT Reviews: 89% (42 votes)

This is the film that really put Lord/Miller on the map. Although Cloudy is enjoyable, this showed their own true subversive style and use of visual comedy in American filmmaking. Much like the sequel (which I’ve already spoken about), the film has a very strong duo at the core of Tatum and Hill. Their chemistry owns everyone else in the current field of comedy (yes, that means I think they’ve got a better bromance than Franco and Rogen), and they both equally are funny. This film is also strengthened by the supporting actors, as Dave Franco has a star-making role as that kid who wants to go to Berkley. Riggle is excellent too, and I think Ice Cube, although overrated, is decent. It’s just a consistently funny comedy that has a heart to it. It mixes improv and orchestrated scenes to great effect and it’s just hilarious. I can’t say anything bad about it, as I’ve seen over ten times and I laugh every single time. It’s a worthy comedy and an excellent film.

• Like 2

w6m6p8gnFofC59C1u0llcrMIHxb.jpg

Release Date: October 7, 2005.

Director: George Clooney.
Starring: David Strathairn, Patricia Clarkson, and George Clooney.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 39.751M
Average BOT Reviews: 100% (3 votes)

The only film of Clooney’s directorial work I’ve seen, Good Night, and Good Luck is a harrowing film about McCarthyism, which has always been a part of history I’m fascinated by. The living in pure paranoia is ingeniously caught by Clooney in this film about Edward Murrow fighting the injustice done during Senator McCarthy’s witch hunt for communist. There are two genius performances in it, the first being David Strathairn’s career best performance as Murrow. Thanks to his general anonymity, Strathairn becomes Murrow in a way we rarely see in historical films, and we feel empathy easily for the tough position he is put in, along with cheering for him as he goes along his quest to expose the truth. The other great “performance” is that of Joseph McCarthy, playing himself. Despite the possible limitations, Clooney’s decision to only use archive footage of McCarthy pays off beautifully, as it makes the film feel like a documentary from the era, along with the black and white filmmaking. Good Night, and Good Luck is a tremendous achievement and an incredibly fascinating film.

• Like 3

Grooveposter.jpg

Release Date: December 15, 2000.

Director: Mark Dindal.
Starring: David Spade, John Goodman, and Eartha Kitt.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 130.714M
RottenTomatoes: 85%
Average BOT Reviews: 100% (5 votes)

There are maybe two comedies in the world that have so many outrageously funny jokes, I can’t possibly remember them and thus, each time I watch the film, it’s just as funny as the first time. One of those is yet to be posted on this list, the other is The Emperor’s New Groove. This animated film is packed with so many great jokes; it doesn’t feel like a Disney movie at all. This is definitely David Spade’s best role, and Goodman makes a great scene partner for their odd couple friendship. Kitt is genius as voice-acting for Yzma, and Warburton became a star for Blank personally with this role. Everything in the film looks gorgeous; the hand drawn animation works as good as you’d expect, and there are a few experimental animation sequences that are also a delight to look at. As I already mentioned, the movie is packed with jokes and all of them hit. I laugh about twice a minute with this flick. It’s one of the few DACs that actually deserve the title of “Animated Classic,” even if it does feel notably un-Disney.

• Like 3

densha_otoko-poster.jpg

Release Date: September 22, 2006.

Director: Shosuke Murakami.
Starring: Takayuki Yamada and Miki Nakatani.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: Not tracked on BOM.
RottenTomatoes: 100%
Average BOT Reviews: Does not have a review thread on BOT.

Before I talk about Train Man, let me talk about two other Japanese films that maybe should’ve made this list but I completely forgot about them when compiling them: Shinobu Yaguchi’s Waterboys and Mamoru Hosoda’s Summer Wars. Both of them are excellent films I was introduced to in my Japanese class, and should definitely be seen. However, my favorite movie ever shown to me in Japanese class is Densha Otoko, or Train Man. It’s a simple dramedy about an otaku who gets help from online friends to win over a girl. It owes a lot to American romcom conventions but manages to infuse a lot of Japanese culture and a really witty script. The two lead performances are great too, and the way the online text is portrayed is surprisingly cinematic and heartwarming compared to most other films that would take on this subject matter. Train Man is a delightfully charming film that I know many have never even heard of. Hopefully a few more of you check it out after me advocating for it.

• Like 1

selma.jpg

Release Date: December 25, 2014.

Director: Ava DuVernay.
Starring: David Oyelowo, Tom Wilkinson, and Carmen Ejogo.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 52.077M
RottenTomatoes: 99%
Average BOT Reviews: 90% (27 votes)

A good movie by Martin Luther King Jr. in today’s filmmaking climate shouldn’t have happened. Movies like The Butler show that people want to make epic spanning biopics that don’t work out well, or movies like Lincoln take on a minor event but fill it with meandering subplots, all while glorifying its subject. Selma does neither, taking a sharp concise look at three months of MLK’s life, and the Civil Rights movement mainly. Although King is clearly the main character, the film is more interested in the machinations of the Civil Rights Movement rather than his personal life (although his personal life does feature in the film a little bit). Oyelowo’s King is perfect, feeling like an actual human being rather than just an impersonation of a famous leader. DuVernay’s direction is perfect, with many scenes managing to show the graphic violence that resulted of the movement with a clear emotion to this violence. Oh, and the film is PG-13! Selma is a spectacular work, and one that should’ve certainly been recognized more at awards time. Oh well, wouldn’t be the first time they fucked it up.

• Like 3

spiderman2_1800_1396893797.jpg

Release Date: June 30, 2004.

Director: Sam Raimi.
Starring: Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, and James Franco.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 488.489M
Average BOT Reviews: 96% (41 votes)

Spider-Man 2 was the first PG-13 movie I ever saw in theaters. I remember begging my parents for weeks on end to let me see it and finally, a month after its release, I remember seeing it in still a packed crowd, and I absolutely loved it. Now, I can still rewatch the movie and see the greatness in it. Raimi’s cheese is still there, but in a more controlled manner. It never gets in the way of the story’s depth, which is truly a character study of Peter Parker, played brilliantly by Tobey Maguire. The film also has one of cinema’s best comic book villains, Alfred Molina’s Doc Ock, the only villain in superhero movies to redeem himself by the end, I believe. All the supporting players come in and do admirable work too, and Raimi’s action direction has never been better. Spider-Man 2 is a film that legitimized superhero movies once and for all, and captured little Blanky’s Spider-Man love for all time. And yet… it was not the best superhero film of 2004

• Like 8

Spider-Man 2 is still arguably my favorite superhero film of all time. need to rewatch it again to know for sure. it just handled character development soo well, was super funny without feeling forced unlike some of the more recent MCU films. and at the same time is really emotional and almost heart-breaking at parts. 

• Like 3

safetynotguaranteedposter.jpg

Release Date: June 8, 2012.

Director: Colin Trevorrow.
Starring: Aubrey Plaza, Mark Duplass, and Jake Johnson.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 4.129M
RottenTomatoes: 90%
Average BOT Reviews: 88% (17 votes)

I’ve often described this movie as “Silver Linings Playbook, but with time travel instead of mental illness.” I probably shouldn’t describe it that way though, seeing how it’s a much better film than Silver Linings Playbook. All the actors have great chemistry, and Plaza leads the film in a way that plays just to her sensibilities. I’ve never liked her as much as I do in this movie. This film also introduced to me to wonder that is Jake Johnson, and he digs into his comedy relief role with relish. Trevorrow’s direction is on point, perfectly capturing the paranoia and wonder of the two main characters, and the script is repeatedly clever and full of splendid misdirection. It’s a truly great film.

• Like 3

sTinWeS.jpg

Release Date: June 27, 2008.

Director: Andrew Stanton.
Starring: Ben Burtt, Elissa Knight, and Jeff Garlin.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 253.109M
RottenTomatoes: 96%
Average BOT Reviews: 93% (47 votes)

First off, that lunch teaser is so gutsy in a kinda stupid way haha. Alright, now let me talk about why I love WALL-E. The first half hour is some of the best Pixar has ever made, with clever visual storytelling and an overall great sense of character between WALL-E and EVE. Everything else in the film pales in comparison, but it’s still good material. The stuff on the Axiom is exciting; it’s just not as focused on romance except for a few moments. It’s still a gripping tale though, and the ending brings it back down to Earth and to the romance that makes this film absolutely lovely. Thomas Newman’s score is gorgeous, and Stanton has a great visual eye for what makes space in this movie absolutely beautiful. WALL-E is a flawed Pixar masterpiece, but it is still a masterpiece.

• Like 3

mud-poster.jpg

Release Date: April 26, 2013.

Director: Jeff Nichols.
Starring: Matthew McConaughey, Tye Sheridan, and Sam Shepard.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 21.590M
RottenTomatoes: 98%
Average BOT Reviews: 92% (15 votes)

The McConaissance is a well-documented phenomenon, but unfortunately, I haven’t seen a lot of the work McConaughey put into it. True Detective Season 1, Dallas Buyers Club, Killer Joe, Magic Mike – all of them products I haven’t seen. I guess I saw Tropic Thunder, but I’m not exactly sure that counts. However, I did see Mud, which is a fascinating coming-of-age story with a simple premise. What if E.T. was a convict instead of an alien? Now, I doubt the film was pitched with that question but it is an interesting way to look at the film.

Tye Sheridan takes the lead in a performance that makes you realize just why he is the best young actor working today. His Ellis gives you the feeling of being a child in a great, beautiful way, with all the confusion and frustration that comes with the age. We see him grow up rather quickly over the film, and Sheridan conveys it astoundingly. McConaughey is incredible as Mud, keeping the perfect combination of mystery and warmth to the character. It makes sense that Ellis and Neckbone want to hang out with Mud despite the danger, as McConaughey embodies the role with empathy. Jeff Nichols’ direction and script is astounding, and the overall film is a modern classic. Mud is incredible.

• Like 4

14485605871_4826dfddd4_o.jpg

Release Date: March 26, 2010.

Director: Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois.
Starring: Jay Baruchel, Gerard Butler, and Craig Ferguson.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 222.234M
RottenTomatoes: 98%
Average BOT Reviews: 96% (45 votes)

I honestly think it’s a shame I can’t find the initial trailer for this movie, because I definitely remember it being some of the worst advertisements for an animated movie in recent memory at the time of its release. I was gonna skip it in theaters until it got such rave reviews, so eventually, I decided to go check it out in 3D. Wow. How to Train Your Dragon is the premiere 3D movie, by the way, much better than Avatar or Hugo in its use of the effect, but more importantly, How to Train Your Dragon is the masterpiece of DreamWorks Animation, and one of the best CGI films of all time.

DuBlois and Sanders bring their sensibilities from Lilo and Stitch to this stellar film, which only signs of DreamWorks’ stereotypes come from the celebrity voice casting. Considering Baruchel gives his best performance ever in this film though, that’s a-okay. The real star of the show is Toothless, whose character animation is top-notch and instantly endears himself to you, whether you’re a dog or cat person. The story is simple, but sprawling, and always enthralling. Butler gives a great vocal performance as well, and the ending of the film still packs great dramatic heft. The sequel may be slightly disappointing, but the original How to Train Your Dragon is still one of the best animated films in recent memory.
Edited by Blankments
  • Like 9

AqIMYFbGcapdoAOToCU70I2IWHA.jpg

Release Date: September 30, 2011.

Director: Jeff Nichols.
Starring: Michael Shannon, Jessica Chastain, and Shea Whigham.
Adjusted Domestic Box Office: 1.794M
RottenTomatoes: 91%
Average BOT Reviews: 86% (7 votes)

With just a coming-of-age animated film separating his two films, Jeff Nichols returns to this list. I didn’t talk much about Nichols in that blurb because I was saving it for this one. Take Shelter is a spectacular second film, although I’ll admit I haven’t seen Shotgun Stories. Nichols plays with both sides, with his script AND his direction, and you never quite know if Curtis is insane or receiving visions. The ending is jaw-dropping, but the characters are always emotionally grounded with plenty of realistic drama. Mud is similar in this sense; a slow-moving epic character film, but Take Shelter is the superior film, but that’s no fault of Nichols. The fault, dear readers, lies with Michael Shannon.

Shannon’s performance in Take Shelter is mind-blowing. I’ll admit, I had never heard of Shannon before this film, and that probably helps with his ability to blend into the role of Curtis, but he never overacts in this film. It’s quite surprising really, when the script would allow for easy ham, but Shannon keeps it restrained. Even his blow-up near the end is restrained, and you can tell Curtis is doubting his sanity every step of the way. Chastain is good too, but the show belongs to Shannon, one of the best lead performances ever. The cinematography and score are splendid too. Take Shelter is fascinating in many ways, and it definitely earned its spot in this list.

• Like 2

Definitely the former, the second one is actually decent. First one is an awful edit.

I remember I disliked the first trailer so much I almost didn't see the movie, until it starting get rave reviews.

• Like 1