84 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

I'm really surprised no one is talking about the de-aged Douglas.  That shit was really well done.

All the visuals were pretty outstanding, I'd say Ant-Man is a pretty solid contender for a best Visual Effects nomination. they were way better than AoU's cartoony looking visuals. 

Edited by Kalo

The 'drama' in this movie fell flat on its face, but some of the comedic scenes are simply priceless. The gypsy line had my whole theater laughing (seeing as Romania is FILLED with gypsies and everyone hates them)

Also the weird dog (ant) joke also had me laughing with tears.

Ugly bunny!

• Like 1

Saw this earlier today and I liked it. It was a good, fun movie. Probably the funniest MCU film as it was essentially an action comedy. All the actors did a good job. Michael Pena was the funniest part I thought. Seeing Rudd interact with the rest of the MCU actors will be fun in the future movies. I would say it is mid level MCU.

My grade would be a.......

B

That's because John Slattery played older Howard Stark in Iron Man 2.

Yeah, a friend has since informed me of that. I honestly couldn't remember who it was then. Cooper is so much more recognizable in the role, now.

• Like 1

Didn't quite work for me as well as I hoped. It's missing a clear voice behind it, and I'm not saying that voice should've been Wright necessarily. The film felt a bit tonally confused at points to me, and the humor was never as funny as I thought it could be. There's some cool weird stuff, and the third act is pretty great as the action is interesting, but it was missing a spark. None of the performances stood out to me except for Corey Stoll delivering a deliciously hammy villain in the vein of Jeff Bridges in Iron Man 1. That's what this felt like; Iron Man 1 in current MCU clothing. Unfortunately, it doesn't rise from it's derivative nature enough though. B-

• Like 2

Yeah, a friend has since informed me of that. I honestly couldn't remember who it was then. Cooper is so much more recognizable in the role, now.

Cooper also looks more like Downey JR than this guy does.

After the bigger-than-life settings of TDW, TWS, GOTG and AoU, the down-to-earth canvas of Ant-Man seems a bit jarring, to the point that if there were no mention of the Avengers and no cameo by Falcon, I doubt that the audience would have connected this to the MCU at all. And that may be this film's biggest weakness, it's different in a manner that seems to distant it from the other movies.  Taken on it's own; however, Ant-Man is a warm and funny movie that benefits from its own cleverness.  In an era of cut-and-paste plot points, this movie brilliantly, and thankfully, does nifty bait and switches with each of the tired tropes it used to move the story along, so the film never seemed like a been-there-done-that origin story.  

As with all Marvel films, the chemistry among the actors is enviable and is what really holds this film together.  Exchange any one of those actors for one that affected the connection among the whole, and some of the movie's weak points would have been glaring road bumps. All of the comedy worked, with the "expositions", especially the final one, sealing the deal.   The action scenes were fantastic and, oddly, don't seem to be getting the oohs and aahs that they deserve for their difficulty and uniqueness.  And that's a shame.  Overall, Ant-Man isn't the disaster many suspected it would be, or even hoped it would be, but continues Marvel's streak of presenting a product that the GA will enjoy on some level.

B

Edited by Ruthie
  • Like 1

pretty much paint by numbers movie, but that's not necessarily bad.  It had its moments and I had enough fun with it.  I can't point to any great scene, but just overall, it was enjoyable.

Unfortunately, my crowd was completely dead for it which may affect my score right now.  So I may have to see it again, hope for a better crowd and see if it changes my rating, but for now, I'd say a

B-

Yet another Marvel movie where they treat the audence like we're fucking stupid. That prologue like in Thor 2 almost ruins the movie from the get go.

It's not bad but it's genrtic and while it's funny is just normal blockbuster/marvel humar up a notch. Wright would have broughten his own style it wouldn't have felt so cookie cutter.

Example the villian has these moments of winking at the camera (like when he sips his cocktail) and it's like wait? Are we supposed to laugh or not? I'm confused. But with Edger it would undeable.

I action bits when he is small are cool but overall it's so mehhh. Even when he is training the camera is all shaky even though only one move is happening on screen.

Also he couldn't handle the scale, all the big scope shots just seem off a tad blurry and jumpy not so smooth.

I really wanted to like it though, Rudd and Douglas were great.

C+ (79)

Edited by Jay Hollywood
  • Like 2

Also if I'm not mistaken, asshat SHIELD dude who brokered the sale between Cross and HYDRA managed to get away with that vial of Cross Particles.

Yeah, this is something they will surely bring back in a future movie. Or they will just not care about it like they do with Incredible Hulk :lol: 

I'm pretty sure those guys at Marvel are doing these films with a checkbox list.

It's even worse than the average Marvel episode of the week because it lacks big, mildly exciting set pieces and the cinematic flair is nowhere to be found.

When Hope discovers how her mother died, there is a heartfelt moment between father and daughter ruined by a joke (that isn't even funny) made by Scotty, who, promptly, apologizes for ruining the moment. In other words, they (Feige or Reed idk) know what they're doing is wrong, but they do it anyway for a cheap chuckle.

Another thing that bothered me more than usual was Pym and Cross relationship, it should have been more fleshed out and less B&W. It would have made a much more interesting film, that's for sure.

Ant-Man is, already in the first viewing, quite horrible. The most generic Marvel picture in a library composed mostly of generic films. 35/100

Seriously, I don't even feel listing problems in Marvel films anymore, they're always the same, there's no point.

IM -85/100
TA +80/100
GOTG +75/100
Thor +70/100
TIH +65/100
IM3 +60/100
Cap TFA -60/100
Thor 2 +55/100
Cap TWS -55/100
IM2 +45/100
AM +35/100
Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

I thought it was all right. A perfectly serviceable introduction to a character who could have been very easy to screw up. The Marvel parts feel pretty shoe-horned; I can buy Pym and Janet working for SHIELD, but I wish they had either gone more into it or cut it out entirely because it does feel a bit like an afterthought. Everything else was decent enough.

Also if I'm not mistaken, asshat SHIELD dude who brokered the sale between Cross and HYDRA managed to get away with that vial of Cross Particles.

Hopefully Al Pacino 'accidentally' shoots him out in the Alaskan Wilderness.