K1stpierre

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation (2015)

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

Absolutely loved it. The Swedish chick stole the show. An incredible cinematic experience, perfect popcorn fun. Yes, the story has flaws and the villain is a miscast, the character is good, but he just doesn't have a great screen presence. Cruise is amazing, the stunts were great, but I was more impressed with the handfights. Must say the water stunt was a bit underwhelming expected the camera to be on him a bit longer. Loved the opera sequence and the music choice. It's a very stylish film, the reviews were right it feels like a Bond film. Best bit? Motorcycle chase. 10/9

• Like 1

Yeah, it's really good and can't decide between this and Mad Max. I didn't like totally love any movie this summer but Rogue Nation is very entertaining (maybe the best M:I movie yet) and Rebecca Ferguson was amazing.

8/10

A ton of fun. At least as good as the fourth one, maybe even better, because the third act isn't noticeably weaker than the middle, and Rebecca Ferguson's character and performance are much more engaging than those of any of the previous female leads. Like Ghost Protocol and the last couple F&F movies, it's basically three enormous, very elaborate set-pieces stitched together with the bare-bones plot and exposition, but all of them are hugely entertaining. The opera scene is the most stylish and my personal favorite; sadly, Robert Elswit doesn't get a whole lot to do afterwards, and for all its thrills, MI5 doesn't feel very distinctive from other huge action movies, which is one of its weaknesses along with a lot of just-go-with-it plotting and a villain who's somewhat effective but ultimately feels like a much less memorable or threatening version of Philip Seymour Hoffman in MI3. 

• Like 2

In regards to the ending, was Alec Baldwin's character the secretary of IMF the whole time or did he take over the position, similar to how Gareth Mallory took over as M in Skyfall?

He took over once Hunt/Brandt convinced him the IMF was still useful (so between capturing Solomon and the final hearing scene at the end)

Very good, very fun.

Edited by 4815162342

Yeah, wow, Rebecca Ferguson. Starmaking performances are rare, but this is one if I've ever seen it. 

The whole MI series epitomizes the success of Cruise's career: working with top directors, recognizing his strengths as a star (and the persona he has created for himself), and generally making the most fun movies possible. This along with Edge of Tomorrow are an apex. McQuarrie has made the best MI movie, with the tightest plot and characterization of the inevitably convoluted spy drama and the most jam-packed visual storytelling. There's not a frame wasted here (I enjoyed F7 plenty but there's way less fat here), sequences like the opera house and the spinning tank fit in seamlessly and are executed wonderfully, and Elswit continues to prove why he's one of the best DPs out there. 

• Like 12

Well... First thing first thing first this is not Ghost Protocol or any of the other films in this franchise for that matter. This is definitely its own film.

The action here definitely isn't as exciting as Ghost Protocol here. There is no Burj Khalifa stunt, there is no chase through the sandstorm, there is no Fight in the parking garage. The thing is though that the film relies very minimally on action sequences.

Ghost Protocol is practically built around having wonderfully intense action sequences. This film instead brings the characters in a new direction fleshes all of them out a little more and form the first time one begins to question: Does Ethan really know what he's doing?

Brandt and Benji both also receive a different look and more conflict with in themselves.

Rebecca Ferguson is a nice add. She's not as insanely likable as Paula Patton but she plays a major part in the films story and is incredibly appreciated non the less.

Oh yeah the villain if fucking amazing. He and Ethan feel like they have a similar connection to Batman and the Joker in TDK, except its cooler because Ethan is cooler than Batman.

All in all its much smarter than the previous M:I instalments and can actually be quite thought provoking....

• Like 1

It's good but I'm not over the moon about it like everyone seems to be.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but after 5 movies, 2 is the only one where Ethan isn't disavowed or directly going against the IMF isn't it?

1 - he has to go rogue to find the mole and clear his name

2 - he is given an assignment by IMF and carries it out

3 - another mole in IMF, and he is a fugitive, goes rogue to steal something for the bad guy

4 - entire IMF is disavowed via "ghost protocol" he and his team are all on their own to clear the name of the IMF.

5 - the entire IMF is shut down and he goes rogue to stop the rogue nation

Maybe it's just me, but come on!

• Like 7

It's good but I'm not over the moon about it like everyone seems to be.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but after 5 movies, 2 is the only one where Ethan isn't disavowed or directly going against the IMF isn't it?

1 - he has to go rogue to find the mole and clear his name

2 - he is given an assignment by IMF and carries it out

3 - another mole in IMF, and he is a fugitive, goes rogue to steal something for the bad guy

4 - entire IMF is disavowed via "ghost protocol" he and his team are all on their own to clear the name of the IMF.

5 - the entire IMF is shut down and he goes rogue to stop the rogue nation

Maybe it's just me, but come on!

I agree to some extent (there is absolutely nothing wring with a simple spy mission for Christ sake) but if they keep delivering great movies I can live with it

• Like 1