CJohn

Fantastic Four (2015)

Grade It  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It

The most overriding feeling I had coming out of the movie was what a shocking mess it was. It's rare to see an obviously troubled production actually feel that troubled as you're watching it. Nothing can disguise it's problems.

The film is two or three different tones rolled into one, with an insulting structure that is so inept even Joe public is going to notice.

Case in point....the film spends a solid half hour building up to the big experiment. It's all very TV pilot but kind of passable. Taking itself quite seriously and then showing you the horror of their exposure when it all goes wrong. Fine we think....this is going to be a film about them coping with their powers. We're going to see them struggle to come to terms, but ultimately make them their own.

Only the movie incredibly jumps a year and the Thing is already helping the army. Sue and Johnny have learnt to use their powers. All is gravy!! Aside from Reed who is missing.

It's like you've jumped from a season pilot to the fifth episode in a flash.

The final act when they decide they'd probably better show us some, you know, fantastic four action - it's as hammy and full of bad dialogue as the original films. Totally at odds with everything that has come before and deeply unsatisfying.

Performance wise you have good actors here who are never given any kind of character to play with. It's not their fault. The film just does not work in any way, shape or form.

The Thing looks pretty cool, even if he's as miserable as sin like the rest of the bunch. We knew it looked semi-serious but even I was taken aback by just how little humour ended up in the piece.

It all looks very drab too. It's no exaggeration to state that 85% of the movie takes place in the lab. This, I repeat, is a Fantastic Four movie. One which barely breaks out of four walls.

At least this will be the last roll of the dice at Fox before the foursome return to Marvel. A return that cannot come soon enough.

• Like 12

Ok. Here in my country, we have this mall chain that lets its customers avail a 'movie' card that gives patrons a free ticket after watching five different movies. However, we can only use that free ticket anytime between a movie's second weekend and its final run. So I thought, maybe I should just wait next week and use my free pass to see this. But I really wanted to know what this movie is like so I decided to watch it today. I made the wrong decision. lol

First, this felt like a long episode of Power Rangers with touches of a sci-fi documentary. It was like an experiment being done in front of your eyes. I don't know lol.

Some visuals were ok but the others were just all over the place especially that forest fight that we've seen in the trailer and that exploding tank that magically disappeared. Had some serious green screen issues as well.

It also dragged and the 'origin' part took like almost an hour of the movie. This is one of the worst things that can happen to a reboot. MOS was greatly marketed and at least to me, was exciting. I can say the same thing about TASM despite its issues. This however was like it's happening in its own world.

Teller was ok as Reed but was just terrible as Mr. Fantastic. Every time he spoke, there was just no feeling whatsoever. Like ok, I'll do this I'll get paid anyway kind of thing. Jordan was ok and so was Bell, who obviously didn't have much to do. I thought Mara was the best. Doom was wasted just like in the previous iteration.

It's a tragic thing that a studio that gave us FIRST CLASS and DOFP made something like this. I seriously doubt that rumor regarding Vaughn taking over this because I didn't see anything Vaughn here. I actually kinda liked the more sci-fi approach but it was just bereft of excitement. I have been very vocal that I like the past X-MEN films and I hoped FF would be treated the same but it just wasn't.

I don't know what Fox is gonna do next. I guess the best thing to do right now is cancel part 2 and have someone with a vision take over. Yes, I still want Fox to do this because I am really looking forward to that X-MEN-FF Universe.

It's just one wasted opportunity. Really disappointing. And yes, comparing this to ANT-MAN and AOU would be unnecessary. There is no need for that. This is in a league of its own.

03.75 | 10.00

I am expecting a run ala TERMINATOR GENISYS.

• Like 8

I wanted to like this. The trailer made me excited for it, actually.

But overall, I was disappointed. I think the 2 reviews above mine echo a lot of my thoughts about the movie already, but I just wanna add a few things.

Its hard to feel any chemistry between a team when said team doesn't actually spend a lot of time dealing w/ situations together.

The stakes didn't feel high at all especially since they formally introduce Doom as the villain so very, very late into the film. The climax almost felt like a second act culmination rather than an actual finale.

But for some positives..well the cast clearly worked with what they had, and the visuals were good in some scenes (not all though..)

Plus I noticed a lot of stuff from the trailers got cut out. The money shot of Thing raising his fist, him getting dropped from an airplane..its all gone.

If I'm in a good mood, 2/5. If not...even lower.

Edited by kaijukurt
  • Like 1

The dialogue is awful. The acting takes a nosedive in the second half. The CGI is amongst the worst in a modern superhero movie. The motivation for them to go to the other dimension with absolutely no training is laughably pathetic. The jokes aren't funny. The cast are way too old to be playing high schoolers. It switches up from lite Sci fi romp, to PG rated horror, and then to under budgeted superhero battle. Doctor Doom is flat out garbage, and he really didn't need to be in this movie. Doctor Doom isnt evil hes just a douche. The last battle looks and plays out like something out of a Power Rangers video game. The Four are also not even together until the last 10 minutes. The re dubbing on Kate Mara's lines is way off. The movie has long periods of nothing happening. The movie skips 1 year ahead in the middle of the movie, literally wiping away any character development at all. I cant even begin to describe the plot of this thing.

3/10 FUCK THIS MOVIE.

• Like 5

i'm just gonna copy paste what i wrote in numbers thread  but basically goes in same overall direction as previous reviews here 

F4 was actually ok , a bit too serious , i guess i like my superheroes with a side dish of humour which original F4 had , everyone in it was like dreary oh so serious and tight , dunno it was still ok except for that doom guy (pff downgrade casting original was so hot ugh dude from nip/tuck and charmed) who came up with the visual concept for him   :huh: ?    the others powers came off ok ( not one of them was drool worthy ).

so yeah ok good but extremely forgettable ! 

giving this a B-

i lol at one point when they went back to doom planet and i'm like you guys managed to land perfectly at same spot on some weird planet that looks unstable , reminded me of an episode of TOS they at least had excuse of having to make do with fx of the 60s

thumbs down at the time jump....
Edited by Antsy for RDJ Tony Stark

8 PM-8/6/15

RPX Showing--8 people total

Trailers:

The Man from U.N.C.L.E--this was a Regal Exclusive Look, so it was a mix of a trailer with clips of interviews from the cast hyping the movie

No Escape

Point Break

Goosebumps

The Martian

Deadpool

Movie:

Epic fail. No romantic chemistry at all between Sue and Reed. I bought into Toby Kebbell as a douche, total prick personality. Got a little gruesome with the head explosions. Now I thought Johnny Storm was supposed to be this bad ass, plays by his own rules type of guy. So he's cool enough to street race, but when in the other "dimension", he's the one who chickens out to scale down the rock wall......ooookkkk. Jamie Bell isn't a backup, bodyguard-ish type of guy. The Thing's voice was atrocious. 

At least it's only 100 minutes

3/10

Plus I noticed a lot of stuff from the trailers got cut out. The money shot of Thing raising his fist, him getting dropped from an airplane..its all gone.

If I'm in a good mood, 2/5. If not...even lower.

Wow that's surprising. It happens frequently I guess that stuff from trailers are not in the movie but those shots of Thing got decent amount of focus. I thought if they wanted to make a movie lazily, they would do the opposite and show a lot of the Thing cause it would be cool.

• Like 1

Ugh.

btw it's not even that kind of bad anyway. not sure what you expect to get out of this.

I feel where he's coming from. I'm planning on finally seeing MI5 this week. If there's a show right after, I'm sneaking into this shit. It's all about watching a horrific car accident (without paying for it).