Director: David Fincher

Writer: Eric Warren Singer

Producer(s): Steve Zaillian and Garrett Basch

Production Company: Chernin Entertainment/Film RItes

Distributor: FOX

Setting: Contemporary Russia

Starring:

Rooney Mara

Story: State intelligence officer Dominika Egorova struggles to survive in the cast-iron bureaucracy of post-Soviet intelligence. Drafted against her will to become a “Sparrow,” a trained seductress in the service, Dominika is assigned to operate against Nathaniel Nash, a first-tour CIA officer who handles the agency’s most sensitive penetration of Russian intelligence. The two young intelligence officers collide in a charged atmosphere of trade craft, deception, and inevitably, a sexual attraction that threatens their careers and the security of America’s valuable mole in Moscow. Dominika winds up seeking revenge against her soulless masters, and living a fatal double life after she is recruited by the CIA to ferret out a high-level traitor in Washington. She also hunts down a Russian illegal buried deep in the U.S. military and, against all odds, to return to Moscow as the new-generation penetration of Vladimir Putin’s intelligence service.

______________________________________________________________________________________

NEWS

Darren Aronofsky In Talks For Fox Espionage Tale ‘Red Sparrow’

UPDATE: An individual close to RED SPARROW tells TheWrap that while Darren Aronofsky is the choice to direct, he has not received an offer.

Fox Taps ‘American Hustle’ Scribe For ‘Red Sparrow;’ David Fincher, Rooney Mara Circle

FROM MOCKINGJAY TO “RED SPARROW,” JENNIFER LAWRENCE IN TALKS FOR FOX’S SPY THRILLER

http://www.tracking-board.com/tb-exclusive-from-mockingjay-to-red-sparrow-jennifer-lawrence-in-talks-for-foxs-spy-thriller/

Academy award winner Jennifer Lawrence is in talks to reunite with Hunger Games director Francis Lawrence on 20th Century Fox’s spy thriller RED SPARROW. Based on the novel by Jason Matthews, the story centers on a Russian spy and a CIA agent assigned to compromise the other, but soon find themselves in a charged duel of wills, skills, and forbidden romance. If talks pan out, Lawrence will take on the starring role of the Russian spy, Dominika Egorova.

Rooney Mara was previously announced to be in talks for the role, though sources confirm to The Tracking Board that those discussions didn’t pan out. Mara was circling back in 2014, around the same time that David Fincher was eyeing the project. Red Sparrow has long been a priority at Fox, who picked up rights to the novel in a high seven-figure deal in 2013, amidst a studio bidding war. Darren Aronofsky was also attached to direct at that time.

Francis Lawrence was reported to be nearing talks to direct this past July, and our sources confirm that those negotiations have pulled through. There’s also heavy-hitters behind the scenes, with Peter Chernin producing via his Chernin Entertainment shingle with Jenno Topping, while Steven Zaillian and Garrett Basch produce under their Film Rites banner. David Ready is overseeing for Chernin and Kira Goldberg is shepherding for Fox.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 1

Do you have doubts that It will be a success? We're talking about the Queen

Let teh Queen sign on first. But yeah, if she does then bye bye thunder of Natasha solo films. Pity because the concept has glaring similarities to BW's backstory, including being forced to serve as a [animal] codenamed agent. I'm sure the novelist was partly inspired by Natasha's story.

• Like 1

Well, I concur with what several have said so far. Although films with similar storylines have certainly been able to coexist before, the backstory of this character is so similar to Natasha's (jeez, even the name sounds like a superheroine codename!) that, if it gets made and becomes a hit, I doubt that a potential BW film isn't seen as a blatant rip-off by mainstream audiences not weaned on comic books.

Oh, well...

Edited by cochofles

Yeah,  I guess it is coming out Nov 2017.

I wonder if it was suddenly put 'on track' after Sony bought the rights to 'Blonde Bond' (the last goodnight) and said Jen was their first choice to play the part?  It didn't really seem to be going anywhere before that, and there are definite similarities in the story lines. 

Although, Fox's announcement that they are putting it out in Nov 2017 didn't specifically mention Jen, Francis Lawrence mentioned her being in his 'upcoming project' Red Sparrow, in a recent article.

Edited by trifle

20 minutes ago, Otakusai said:

Jennifer Lawrence headlining anything is an easy no look pass for me. 

Talk about an un-engaging actress.

Lucky for her there are billions of people in this world, I guess.

And I disagree to the point where I find that statement humorous, fwiw.

• Like 2

this Monday (sept 14) morning tidbit thatJennifer Lawrence may be “orbiting” (original verb used in relation to this story) a role in Red Sparrow. The Fox movie is an adaptation of Jason Matthews’ spy novel, and will be directed by Francis Lawrence, who also directed The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Parts 1 and 2. According to Deadline, the role is being specifically developed for Jennifer Lawrence, although it was originally offered toRooney Mara, back when David Fincher (of course) was interested in it (Darren Aronofsky also was interested in the movie for awhile).  In another JLaw connection, Justin Haythe is being brought in to rewrite a script by American Hustle’s Eric Warren.

read more

Funny they even mentioned Marita :) 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

read more

Funny they even mentioned Marita :) 

I'd prefer it if Aronofsky were doing it with Jen, tbh.  And isn't Marita supposed to come out in 2017 as well?  If this does, I kind of doubt that will happen since Jen will have her current Aronofsky project and then this one in 2017. 

8 minutes ago, trifle said:

I'd prefer it if Aronofsky were doing it with Jen, tbh.  And isn't Marita supposed to come out in 2017 as well?  If this does, I kind of doubt that will happen since Jen will have her current Aronofsky project and then this one in 2017. 

There's not a release date for Marita yet. 

52 minutes ago, trifle said:

Lucky for her there are billions of people in this world, I guess.

And I disagree to the point where I find that statement humorous, fwiw.

I find her fanclub humorous as well as well as her various attempts at acting.

You enjoy the movie (if she lands the role) and I'll enjoy not seeing it.

10 minutes ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

There's not a release date for Marita yet. 

Marita is kinda a spy one, too, and Sony wanted/wants her for this:  http://pagesix.com/2016/04/10/jennifer-lawrence-front-runner-to-play-blonde-bond/

Way back when it was first announced some site (I think Variety) said they were aiming for 2017 for Marita.  I think the date is clearly slipping, though.

Edited by trifle