CJohn

Everest (2015)

Grade It  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It

I was pretty blown away by it.  I really hope Gyllenhal filmed this before Southpaw as he is skinny here.  

To me the stand out is Clarke.  He absolutely floored me.....floored me.  He hits all the right notes and had me close to tears in some spots.  I thought the rest of the cast was terrific as well.  Worthington was subtle but brilliant and Brolin was terrific as well.  The mountain scenes were incredible. 

I'd love to see Clarke get some oscar consideration.

9/10

• Like 4

From Camp IV to the summit of Everest is a little over a mile's walk.  The group had roughly 13 hours to climb one mile!  It's crazy how the extreme conditions in that altitude can drain the body so quickly. 

Btw, how did the Japanese lady die? I thought the Russian guy came back for her and carried her off?

From Camp IV to the summit of Everest is a little over a mile's walk.  The group had roughly 13 hours to climb one mile!  It's crazy how the extreme conditions in that altitude can drain the body so quickly. 

Btw, how did the Japanese lady die? I thought the Russian guy came back for her and carried her off?

That was someone else. The lady and Beck were left over to the side once they collapsed and they were essentially triaged by the others.

Debilitating effects of the death zone are so great that it takes most climbers up to 12 hours to walk the distance of 1.72 kilometres (1.07 mi) from South Col to the summit. Achieving even this level of performance requires prolonged altitude acclimatization, which takes 40–60 days for a typical expedition. A sea-level dweller exposed to the atmospheric conditions at the altitude above 8,500 m (27,900 ft) without acclimatization would likely lose consciousness within 2 to 3 minutes.

I really liked it. All the acting was good and I enjoyed how it was shot. Lots of great mountain & scenery shots. Only negatives are that the score was just alright & that for some reason I didn't get emotional at all.

I would give it a.......

B+(88)

The film was very well shot and it made me feel as if I were on the mountain itself.  I really enjoyed the film, the performances worked (they weren't great, with the exception of Clarke, but weren't bad) and the story was surprisingly moving.  Clarke was especially strong, he had the most emotional moments, I would have liked to see more of Gyllenhaal's character though, and I would have liked to see more development of the Texas guy so his saving could hit the emotional chords stronger.  The film just didn't hit you hard enough on the emotional moments, or create enough tension in the suspenseful moments for it to warrant an A.  B+

I also really loved the score as a side note, it was simplistic, thematic, and moving in the right moments.  The Epilogue piece is really nice, one of my favorite scores so far this year.

Edited by The Panda

I would have liked another 10-15 minutes in the first two acts to give some more development to Beck, Fischer, Boukreev (The Russian guide working for Fischer who is the only one on the ball when the storm hits and who comes up to save a couple of the people stranded with Beck), and Krakauer.

It's a big cast and the film kinda feels thin when it tries to show what is going on with everyone but not enough time really fleshing them out.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

Good movie, manages to keep away (most of the time) from the tear-jerker traps and takes you right up there. There were some compromises, for instance how often they took their protective glasses of - which is maybe necessary for a movie. I hope it serves as a warning to all those "tourists" not to throw their lives away ...

I'm with 4815162342 in that I found it a bit too short

Posted by Netflix X-files TVnovelas on 22 September 2015 - 05:56 PM in Box Office Discussion

so i watched everest tonight , great breathtaking visuals but the entire movie i was wondering what's up with jake gyllenhall i vaguely remember reading while raving about his performance in southpaw someone said wait he's got a meattier role in everest , so i'm looking fo him and he only pops up 30mn in and is hardly in the movie .

i wonder if i'm not confusing roles and he's got something better coming up , everest ending was kinda rushed and unsatisfying !

Watched in IMAX, looked great and very well acted. Also story felt real. Only complaint is it was hard to keep up with all of the characters like who was left, who died, who was lying in the snow covered, where everyone was.

8/10

• Like 2

After watching it I can understand why it petered out at the boxoffice. I was expecting something like Perfect Storm on a mountain, but nor the drama nor the survival suspense did anything for me. It was all around underwhelming.

C.

Probably should have caught this lifeless IMAX ad at the cinema.

5/10

Yeah, that comment is probably too harsh but the film never built up to anything and all the important scenes fell flat due to poor editing and a chronic lack of pace.

Not bad and could've been better but for the most part it was well done. The effects were decent but the acting I thought was great, especially for Jason Clarke. What I really liked is there were two deaths, one of a main character and in each they could've gone overboard with a sweeping, overly dramatic score and some over-stylized shot of them falling but instead they simply fell off and were gone. No major production which made it all the more eerie.

One complaint I did have, there were some characters I couldn't discern from others and the dialogue was a bit difficult to understand to the point I wish I turned on the subtitles.

So although I liked it, this is certainly NOT a movie I'll probably ever revisit.

***½/*****, (B, 7.2/10, 3/4)

Edited by TheMovieman

I highly enjoyed. I wish I would have seen it in theaters. The acting all around was good. I wish the film was about 10-15 minutes longer just to flesh out the characters more and add more to their stories.  The film looks so beautiful as well.

Surprinsgly low on tension and very uneventful. Moments that would have a lot more fanfare in any other movie is treated like a transition scene. When the actual climbing starts, I was confused whether it was the real thing or yet another training. When they reach Everest's peak, goal of these characters,  but the movie treats like another point in the mountain. 45/100

Edited by Goffe