kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

• Like 1

The original adjusts to a rather mind boggling 700m domestically. And it could be argued that it's second only to The Wizard of Oz in terms of films that have been so passed on to kids each generation. Makes this a real wild card at the box office. Maybe it only does something like 150-200m, but it could also go way way higher. The level of family competition next holiday season is the biggest possible detriment to it. 

Edited by MovieMan89

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:13 PM, MovieMan89 said:

The original adjusts to a rather mind boggling 700m domestically. And it could be argued that it's second only to The Wizard of Oz in terms of films that have been so passed on to kids each generation. Makes this a real wild card at the box office. Maybe it only does something like 150-200m, but it could also go way way higher. The level of family competition next holiday season is the biggest possible detriment to it. 

I think it depends on how good it is. It's a long delayed sequel to one of the most beloved films of all time;people who saw it as a kid are now watching it with their grandkids.

This means the potential audience is great, but it turns out not to be very good, or even just OK, the backlash could be huge. When you a follow up to a much loved classic,that is the chance you take: Just OK will not be good enough.

Emily Blunt is a great choice for Mary, but the script and songs are an unknown quantity. I think a case of Blunt being good,but struggling with a mediocre script or mediocre songs ,could damage the film.

Edited by dudalb

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:22 PM, The Futurist said:

In my country, nobody cares about Marry Poppins.

It is certainly NOT a pop cultural icon at all.

Just sayin' ...

I could say the same thing about Valarien and Laurentine in the US and the UK....

Interesting that Blunt was originally cast as The Black Widow in Iron Man 2,but had to drop out due to pregnancy,and was in serious negotiations for Captain Marvel but had too many scheduling problems.....

Edited by dudalb

17 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Interesting that Blunt was originally cast as The Black Widow in Iron Man 2,but had to drop out due to pregnancy,and was in serious negotiations for Captain Marvel but had too many scheduling problems.....

I thought she dropped the Black Widow role because she was contracted to film Gulliver Travels and couldn't break from it.

Edited by CoolEric258

On 7/15/2017 at 4:22 PM, The Futurist said:

In my country, nobody cares about Marry Poppins.

It is certainly NOT a pop cultural icon at all.

Just sayin' ...

Did France audience didn't get the reference in Guardian of the Galaxy 2 ?

She certainly is in the UK/US market, the same can be said Beauty and the beast 1991 was not big in France (a rare market that didn't had it in it's top 100, versus other Disney classic), the remake was not really big their either but that didn't affected it's world result much.

• Like 1

My problem with predicting things like 700 million or thinking it's going to get anywhere near that number because of old ticket sales is that the film isn't starring the same people. It's one of those recast sequels to an old movie and last I checked Superman Returns didn't exactly over perform.