chasmmi

Chasmmi's Winter Game FAQ Thread

Winter Game FAQ/Nitpick

I will endeavor to use this thread to answer any queries or specifics about the game or a particular question. Any pertinent point that is of significant importance to the game will be answered and pasted into the first post here so that there will always be a record for my stance on any particular question or issue.

I have started this off myself with answers to most of the questions I expect people to have about the game/scoring.

Q. The film I predicted in my top 15/7/10 got moved out of the release window of the game. What happens to that prediction?

If the schedule changes before the start of the game, then you are free to change this prediction to a new film. If it happens after the game begins, or you do not notice in time, then it is just hard luck. Points wise you would only score the negative 10,000 for having an incorrect placement and would not lose extra for your gross being 40M more than $0.

Q. I forgot to predict a dollar total for film / section X, what will happen to me score wise?

If you forgot a single film prediction, (e.g. you accidentally left blank a domestic total for film number 6 domestic) then you will not win/lose anything gross bonus points wise.

If you forget to predict totals for an entire section (like maybe all weekend grosses) You will score -50k for that section in relation to gross predictions.

In the event that you do not predict a section entirely (films and grosses), you will be given a score for that section equal to that of the lowest scoring actual predictor.

Q. I forgot to post a prediction for weekly questions on at least one occasion, what happens to me?

You will score zero points for that week. Near the end of the game there will be a set of makeup questions that anyone missing at least one week of questions can answer in order to claw some points back.

Q. Can a foreign film end up in the Worldwide top 10 totals list?

Yes it can, but it needs to receive a domestic cinematic release during the course of the game.

Q. What films qualify as sequels with regards to pre-season question 8?

Sequel in this game means sequel, prequel, or anything similar where characters and the such have been retained for the franchise. Essentially it comes down to the films below (as of September 15th):

Paranormal Activity
Spectre
Rings
Mockingjay
Creed

Star Wars
Alvin and the chipmunks
Nut Job 2
Ride Along 2
Maybe a Blumhouse Horror

London has fallen
Kung Fu Panda 3
Deadpool (Just has to beat Wolverine Origins)
Zoolander 2

Q. What is the January Opening Weekend Record?

Whatever Box Office Mojo says it is (which is 89M according to them).

Q. If a film opens to $100M and then grosses 150M in its second or third weekend, which weekend qualifies in the top 7 weekends list?

Due to the less predictable nature of runs over the winter season due to some big holiday periods and many more staggered releases of major films (such as American Sniper last year), it will quite simply be the largest weekend of any film that qualifies for the top 7 list.

It makes no difference when in the run a film has its biggest weekend. It makes no difference if the opening weekend was wide or limited. It is just the biggest single weekend of a film's run.

As an extra aside, a film cannot qualify for the top 7 twice, the top seven will be seven separate films.​​​​ 

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 5

If a movie is released before October 16 but makes a sizable amount of money in the game period (IE The Martian), can we count it in our Top 15?

The film needs to be released in North America on October 16th or later to qualify for any question.

• Like 3

Will Star Wars still be in the domestic top 10 at the end of the game? 

I dont understand this, everyone knows itll be number 1, r u saying will its final week gross be in the top 10

Like what do u mean by will it still be

Edited by avi

Will Star Wars still be in the domestic top 10 at the end of the game?        I dont understand this, everyone knows itll be number 1, r u saying will its final week gross be in the top 10   Like what do u mean by will it still be
I'd say he's meaning the weekend top 10. I'll let chas confirm.
  • Like 1

I dont understand this, everyone knows itll be number 1, r u saying will its final week gross be in the top 10

Like what do u mean by will it still be

The question essentially means, will Star Wars be in the top 10 for the final weekend of the game.

Will its 3 day total for that week be one of the ten best weekends of that week.  

• Like 2

if u mean this question wrathofhan

its top 10 and its saying will its final weekend of the game still be in the the top 10 basically from when it starts it have to be in every top 10 the whole time for every weekend

pretty much will it be in the top 10 for the feb 19-21 weekend

• Like 1

When you're talking about Star Wars' opening day being enough to make it in the Top 15, does that mean the Top 15 opening days or weekends?

I mean will Star Wars' Opening day gross (including previews) be higher than the total gross for the film that places 15th Domestically over the winter.

Essentially if you think Star Wars will have a $75M opening Friday, do you think that alone would beat the 15th biggest film's total for the winter even if Star Wars got randomly pulled from theaters after 24 hours of release.  

• Like 1

I mean will Star Wars' Opening day gross (including previews) be higher than the total gross for the film that places 15th Domestically over the winter.

Essentially if you think Star Wars will have a $75M opening Friday, do you think that alone would beat the 15th biggest film's total for the winter even if Star Wars got randomly pulled from theaters after 24 hours of release.  

FIVE EXTRA HOURS

Ah, thanks. Yeah, it can definitely do that. Changing my answer now.

16) Which combination of films will gross the smallest amount of money during the game?

1) Burnt, Macbeth, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
2) Rock the Kasbah, Victor Frankenstein, Point Break, Ride Along 2
3) Jem and the Holograms, Sisters, The Nut Job 2, 13 Hours: Secret Soldiers of Benzhagi
4) Trumbo, Rings, Deadpool, Daddy’s Home

Regarding the fourth one...

Rings is now scheduled in 2016 but still no exact release date.

Is it now going to be Trumbo, Deadpool, Daddy's Home or

Are you going to replace Rings with another movie?

• Like 1