kayumanggi

HIDDEN FIGURES | 12.25.16 | Fox | Stage musical in the works

On 11/25/2016 at 10:09 PM, tribefan695 said:

Call me ignorant / insensitive, but this looks like "Racism for Middle Schoolers... in SPACE!!!"

If the three women starring in the film were white, would it seem to you like Feminism for Middle Schoolers... in SPACE!!!? Why can't the film just be about a story they want to tell? 

If the three women starring in the film were white, would it seem to you like Feminism for Middle Schoolers... in SPACE!!!? Why can't the film just be about a story they want to tell? 

Yes, it would. Because it looks like it's hitting the same shallow, didactic beats any dime a dozen made for TV movie does. The women are the most capable people for the job, the system keeps them down, Octavia Spencer's sassy black woman rallies everyone together to overcome the odds and provides broad one liners along the way, and the audience cheers and unh huhs. No attempt at nuance or trying to seriously understand the other side.

Now, maybe I'm wrong, but coupled with the PG rating I'm not optimistic
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Yes, it would. Because it looks like it's hitting the same shallow, didactic beats any dime a dozen made for TV movie does. The women are the most capable people for the job, the system keeps them down, Octavia Spencer's sassy black woman rallies everyone together to overcome the odds and provides broad one liners along the way, and the audience cheers and unh huhs. No attempt at nuance or trying to seriously understand the other side.

It is allegedly a true story. Maybe the women were indeed the most capable for the job. Also, I think calling Octavia's  character a "sassy black woman" is quite problematic and probably says more about your perception of black women than about her performance.

This is not meant to be a sharp, auteur-driven treatise on the human condition; it seems like they set out to make a heartwarming triumph-of-the-spirit crowd pleaser and nothing more. Which is fine, if you ask me.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

What other side?  Sexism and racism?  We've heard from those sides enough.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

It is allegedly a true story. Maybe the women were indeed the most capable for the job. Also, I think calling Octavia's  character a "sassy black woman" is quite problematic and probably says more about your perception of black women than about her performance.

This is not meant to be a sharp, auteur-driven treatise on the human condition; it seems like they set out to make a heartwarming triumph-of-the-spirit crowd pleaser and nothing more. Which is fine, if you ask me.

"allegedly"

Do you guys know who Katherine Johnson is? Please look her up. She is not a joke. 

• Like 3

Also this is based on a book by someone who did extensive research and actually knows these women and their families. I've read  it and it's quite interesting. At first I thought the film looked a little shallow and it might be but I'm definitely looking forward to it. It will definitely be a hit. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, ban1o said:

"allegedly"

Do you guys know who Katherine Johnson is? Please look her up. She is not a joke. 

She's literally just had an episode-stealing role on the TV show Timeless being played by Nadine Ellis lol

I kept thinking of this movie the whole time I watched that episode! Yes, it's a silly TV show but now I'm really looking forward to this movie for some reason.

• Like 3