kayumanggi

INDEPENDENCE DAY RESURGENCE | 286.5 M overseas | 389.7 M worldwide

Box office was quite different back when ID4 was released. Not a lot of huge CGI blockbusters on the scale that we have now. I don't think the OS number will double but should see a nice increase due to China. Enough to hit $1 billion WW but probably not much higher in my opinion. 

• Like 1

This is so hard to predict. Tough call. It's a sequel to a well loved film. ++ Emerich in his domain. ++ No smith from one of his iconic roles -? 20 years since --? Maybe? Was massive in 96 but the market is so different these days. It's Sfx in its day were so impressive. The one liners. Gonna be a hard act to follow. But I think it can overcome things. As long as it doesn't go too campy. Early predict of 750 OS. Domestic should pull it above 1b WW.

Is it mainly because they're afraid that China don't want a Hollywood release to dominate over a local one or what?

July to august is local protection period, that's the time when domestic movies to take charge of summer holidays.

10 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

I think this could be in the running for highest grossing OS hit this year. The first did huge, plus this seems like it will deliver on huge disaster scenes.

Probably all depends on China whether this can be the highest grossing title of the year (and the other OS-markets have to deliver too)