kayumanggi

STAR TREK BEYOND | 184.6 M overseas ● 343.5 M worldwide

10 hours ago, Jay Hollywood said:

Not at all 

You're a fan, but most people don't know this universe, the TV show and so that won't be huge as long as they don't know this franchise.

3 minutes ago, peludo said:

Maybe, but the truth is I have become interested on this thanks to the previous 2 films, which I think are great. I never was interested on the older one and the TV show. Said this, I wish Spain can make more than the shameful $3.9m of STiD, but I am not optimistic. I do not get why people do not give a chance to this franchise.

It's easy to understand : people don't know these characters, their adventures, there is no real background, they can't emotionally attached.

That's why a reboot would allow that, starting from zero.

In Mexico, ST grossed $3.5M, and ST2 $6.8MST3 opens on Sep 2 with few competition, even with the abysmal ER and sci-fi not being huge in this market, it should reach 100M lc (about $6M). I mean, if the Fifth Wave could do it...

Edited by Purple Minion
Editor behaving badly

37 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

You're a fan, but most people don't know this universe, the TV show and so that won't be huge as long as they don't know this franchise.

It's easy to understand : people don't know these characters, their adventures, there is no real background, they can't emotionally attached.

That's why a reboot would allow that, starting from zero.

I knew nothing about this and I became interested. I think the first part is enough to see the origins of the characters. In fact, I thought that ST09 is a real reboot.

27 minutes ago, peludo said:

I knew nothing about this and I became interested. I think the first part is enough to see the origins of the characters. In fact, I thought that ST09 is a real reboot.

Look, I thought it was really good as well. I just tell you that the BO numbers are clear : most people don't feel the same way.

Just now, Fullbuster said:

Look, I thought it was really good as well. I just tell you that the BO numbers are clear : most people don't feel the same way.

Sure, that is undeniable. For that reason I do not get that being a reboot and telling us the origins of main characters and being both very good films, they have not connected outside US.

14 hours ago, superweirdo87 said:

What about trimming the budget to thrive off of the kinds of grosses that it is seeing?

That's the sensible thing to do, I think ... Star Trek has, most times, been a character- and plot-driven kind of SF (and there were IDEAS) - sure, that's not the most profitable kind of story, but there's always been a certain demand for intellectual SF. We shouldn't forget that there were ten ST movies until Abram's reboot - you don't get ten entries in a franchise unless there's a very reliable demand.

7 hours ago, peludo said:

I do not get why people do not give a chance to this franchise.

This x100. It's a 100% modern action blockbuster. Moreover, they are quality movies, yet no one gives a shit. For some reason this franchise has such a stigma attached to it that seemingly nothing can break it overseas. Depressing...

• Like 3

Screendaily

In its second weekend of release, Star Trek Beyond phased to an extra $13m from its 40 markets for an early $54.8m.

There were three new openings, but it was the holdovers that led the way with the UK delivering $2.9m for a ten-day tally of $13.3m and Germany taking $2.6m for $8.6m to date.

The sci-fi sequel opens in France and South Korea on Aug 18 and Spain a day later on Aug 19.

• Like 4

Epic run. I hope Terminator is back on schedule by Paramount, now that this beloved franchise by critics is DEAD !

Die, Die Trek and Turtles, Terminator MUST come back !!!!

Edited by tilko