CJohn

Show Your DVD/Bluray Collection!

I hope I don't come across as condocening, this is meant as a genuine question of curiousity.

Serious dvd/blue-ray collectors (100+ titles), do you actually watch what you own?

I do have a theory that since a movie is really just a experience (watching it), having the phyiscal media helps trigger memories of that experience. Putting my psyco babble aside, what are your viewing habits of what you own? Is there a certain number of views of a title that cecoup your return on investment? Are there titles you own that are meant for display only?

Thanks in advance.

On 11/6/2020 at 8:37 AM, AndrewEscobar said:

I hope I don't come across as condocening, this is meant as a genuine question of curiousity.

Serious dvd/blue-ray collectors (100+ titles), do you actually watch what you own?

I do have a theory that since a movie is really just a experience (watching it), having the phyiscal media helps trigger memories of that experience. Putting my psyco babble aside, what are your viewing habits of what you own? Is there a certain number of views of a title that cecoup your return on investment? Are there titles you own that are meant for display only?

Thanks in advance.

I buy movies for 4 different reasons (plus a few as presents, but as those are not part of ‘my’ collection...):

1. I have sometime in the past read something about it that made me curious, and if I see it as an offer... I’ll buy it to watch it at a time I am at home more than usual. Means I binge-watch sometimes quite some of those ‘will watch in the future’ titles, but it can take in a few cases a few years toll I watch those. The most of them I watch faster.

2. I have sometimes younger viewers with me (12y to 17y olds) who like to watch something they do not knew or... for those I like to have a few movies in reserve I am not interested in, in case they wont like the ones I am interested in. If I watch those at all depends on how they react to what... = only a small part of my collection

3. movies I love and love to rewatch, plan to rewatch. I am old, I love a lot of movies, I am an insomniac,... lots of time to do it. Sometimes (if its at hand as a disc or I also own it as a digital version) I only rewatch a part of it, like for a discussion or for a project.

4. One of my family members wants to watch a certain title, I am the one who usually buys those too (including for the husband) for reasons like I am more up-to-date where to get those for a reasonable price, or where to get it fast.

I own way over 2000 movies and TV-series titles (one season/series = one title)