CaptainJackSparrow

The Jungle Book | 543.1m Overseas | 885.6m Worldwide

International Forum Rules

01) Tentpole franchise film releases (Essentially sequels to proven films with strong OS BO performances) are allowed discussion threads up to 12 months in advance. There should be no requirement to be any earlier for International Rollouts.

I am expecting at least 600 mil overseas, what say you all? Will it be at Alice levels, or all they way down to Oz levels?

Edited by CaptainJackSparrow

On 28/3/2016 at 5:00 PM, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Hmm? How high can this live-action "The Jungle Book" do?

I mean the 1967-animated one made like $64M OS.....and it was one of the few animated films from the classical decades that got an OS-gross.

I have serious doubts with that $64m OS figure of the original film. The film was absurdly gigantic in some European countries and I think the official OS figure should be quite higher than what BOM reports.

In Germany it is the most attended film ever BY FAR. It sold 27 million admissions in 5 releases (for the record, Titanic, which ranks second, sold 18 million admissions). Applying average ticket price of each year we have this:

1968: 7.6m admissions * €1.63 = €12.4m

1979: 9.1m * €3.05 = €27.76m

1987: 5.47m * €3.86 = €21.1m

1993: 4.17m * €4.58 = €19.1m

2000: 1.0m * €5.41 = €5.41m

Just applying average ticket price of each year, not by inflation, those amounts sum €85.77m just in Germany. Even considering that German Mark had half value in 1968 relative to Dollar than now, I have the feeling that the $64m figure just applies to the original release.

In France we have a similar case. The Jungle Book ranks #9 in all time admissions list, on par to Avatar, for example, with 14 million admissions.

In Spain, it is not a record film, but with 3.8 million admissions registered is on par, for example, to Up, Inside Out or Toy Story 3.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, peludo said:

I have serious doubts with that $64m OS figure of the original film. The film was absurdly gigantic in some European countries and I think the official OS figure should be quite higher than what BOM reports.

In Germany it is the most attended film ever BY FAR. It sold 27 million admissions in 5 releases (for the record, Titanic, which ranks second, sold 18 million admissions). Applying average ticket price of each year we have this:

1968: 7.6m admissions * €1.63 = €12.4m

1979: 9.1m * €3.05 = €27.76m

1987: 5.47m * €3.86 = €21.1m

1993: 4.17m * €4.58 = €19.1m

2000: 1.0m * €5.41 = €5.41m

Just applying average ticket price of each year, not by inflation, those amounts sum €85.77m just in Germany. Even considering that German Mark had half value in 1968 relative to Dollar than now, I have the feeling that the $64m figure just applies to the original release.

In France we have a similar case. The Jungle Book ranks #9 in all time admissions list, on par to Avatar, for example, with 14 million admissions.

In Spain, it is not a record film, but with 3.8 million admissions registered is on par, for example, to Up, Inside Out or Toy Story 3.

Yeah. I agree.

That OS gross for the 1967 animated "Jungle Book" should be a lot higher than that $64M. Kinda odd that BOM haven't noticed that, at all.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

I believed this will be a huge breakout OS, especially in Europe, earlier and these early reviews have made me feel definite that it will. They give support to every single reason I had for thinking that way. The original has one hell of a legacy and was massive in lots of countries. This also has game changing visual effects under its hat which means asia could be quite, quite big for it. To top it all off, this seems to have pulled off the story very well too. I'd call 200m$ as the definite low end combined total from China+India+SK alone. 40m from Japan. 250m from Europe. 150m from Latin America. Some more elsewhere for a near 700m OS total (this is unless it really breaks out big). I am giving this near 300m in US. That adds up to a final WW total quite near to a WW total that's quite near to a Billion. Overall I see a Billion WW to be entirely possible and not even improbable for this.

• Like 3

The Jungle Book:

~ $250+ million in the US + Canada

~ $250+ million in Japan, China, and South Korea

~ $430+ million from other markets (half of that should be from the European markets alone)

TOTAL: $930+ million WW

This has a definite chance of reaching $1 billion if audience reception and resonance with the masses clicks.  Seems Disney has another hit on their hands! :D 

Edited by CelestialFairyIX
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Heretic said:

According to BFI, The Jungle Book had 19.8m admissions in the UK in 1968, the 7th highest of all time. Europe should be huge.

So, adding the 3 big European markets (UK, France and Germany), Jungle Book sold about 60 million admissions... How much would be that today, about $600m? it is unbelievable. Of course, this adaptation will not sell that amount, but you are very right saying this should be enormous in Europe. The billion talk is not that crazy.

Jungle Book has always been huge in europe... Everyone knows the book/movies ect. Young and old..

And this movie looks to be done right so the potential i huge WW. 

I would'ent be surprised if it hits 1B WW

• Like 2