Plain Old Tele

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Not many case when you watch a Marvel movie that you would be able to name the director if they would have not said is name, just by watching a segment with is recognisable visual style, is usual theme, etc..

Sure but that's not necessarily Marvel limiting the directors as much as who they're picking in the first place. The strengths of Joss Whedon, James Gunn and Shane Black aren't in their visual storytelling as much as their dialogue and their use of humor and subversion. But in saying that those three I mention definitely in their Marvel films have much in common with their previous work outside the MCU.

And frankly this is all assuming that one singular vision = good and collaboration = bad. The truth is very much in between. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Sure but that's not necessarily Marvel limiting the directors as much as who they're picking in the first place. The strengths of Joss Whedon, James Gunn and Shane Black aren't in their visual storytelling as much as their dialogue and their use of humor and subversion. But in saying that those three I mention definitely in their Marvel films have much in common with their previous work outside the MCU.

And frankly this is all assuming that one singular vision = good and collaboration = bad. The truth is very much in between. 

The point is, you can do it the Marvel way or you can do it the DC way.

The Marvel way, de-risks every movie by turning them into comedies, the DC way lets every movie live or die on its directors vision.

...and DC has had some spectacular failures.

There is nothing wrong with the Marvel way, it makes enjoyable movies

But at the end of the day, this meme pretty much sums it up

Avengers-money-vs-Joker-oscar.jpg?auto=f

5 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Leaked DCEU document about the current state of affairs at WB Headquarters:

900x900px-LL-e4bc2449_DH-QUzzUMAEzCTO.jp

What I hate the most about WB's incompetence on the movie side is how it damages the entire DC brand. Which sucks cuz DC is killing it right now with their comics, video games and tv shows

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

What I hate the most about WB's incompetence on the movie side is how it damages the entire DC brand. Which sucks cuz DC is killing it right now with their comics, video games and tv shows

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

dRyxsbi.png

The other studios would love this level of incompetence.

I agree.

With allegedly "bad" films (except for Wonder Woman, which everyone seemed to love), WB still kills it at the box office with their DC properties.

16 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

dRyxsbi.png

Look, you ALWAYS use this phony ass excuse, and I'm not gonna deny that the DCEU has been incredibly successful at all. But apart from Wonder Woman, none of the 1st three movies in the franchise achieved their full potential. Did they do a shit ton of money? Absolutely. Could've they done a WHOLE OF A LOT MORE than they did? 100% absofuckinglutely. Ok, maybe not MOS as it did have good legs and competition was too strong, but... could've it not stretched itself to 300M w/less mixed and more positive wom? And BVS and Suicide Squad could've reached way, way higher stratospheres than they did to say the least. That's creative incompetence's fault that audiences didn't respond as well to those films and didn't drive them close to the massive ceilings that they totally had. MOS met the expected range, the following two underperformed (everybody says SS was an overperformer but I wholeheartedly disagree), and WW was the 1st one that reached that high end potential. Bottom line.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

dRyxsbi.png

Those BvS numbers are embarrassing to look at

WB left a good 200m on the table domestically

Edited by DlAMONDZ

45 minutes ago, DlAMONDZ said:

Those BvS numbers are embarrassing to look at

WB left a good 200m on the table domestically

So it should have made 530 million. Are you freakin insane. Not even CW did close to that either. All your posts here are just hate upon hate and trolling. You really want to be Kevin nr 2 don't you ?

Those believing in Jett are completely out of touch with reality. Of course the DCEU will be SHARED UNIVERSE like they always wanted. There is noway in hell after JL all their movies will be self contained. That would be preposterous and the Reeves Bats trilogy will also be part of the DCEU. Noway Warner is gonna go back to the days after they now created this and many movies waiting in the pipeline. Incl A Man of Steel sequel rumored to be helmed by Matthew Vaughn, WW 2, Shazam, Aquaman, Flash, SS2, Gotham Sirens.

All this clickbait to discredit DCEU is a freakin witch hunt. Jahns is right this shit is getting out of the hand. We can enjoy BOTH instead of this pettiness

• Astonished 1

6 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

That your projection, never said anything of the sort, long list of classic from Gone with the wind, Casablanca, etc... are studio/producer products Empire Strike Back also, the subject had little to do with good or bad (or that was not explicit to me).

But for that your are right, a lot of it is saving money and not having a fight out of a director style by hiring people without a strong voice or style. 

Edited by Barnack

4 hours ago, DlAMONDZ said:

What if I told you I had waited for ages for someone at BOT to say this ? So beautiful...Thank you...

mm1-e1429271504595.png

2 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Man, honestly don't know how you guys have the energy to do this day after day! I'm done with this whole thing.

I'm guessing some sort of illegal drugs help :P 

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Look, you ALWAYS use this phony ass excuse, and I'm not gonna deny that the DCEU has been incredibly successful at all. But apart from Wonder Woman, none of the 1st three movies in the franchise achieved their full potential. Did they do a shit ton of money? Absolutely. Could've they done a WHOLE OF A LOT MORE than they did? 100% absofuckinglutely. Ok, maybe not MOS as it did have good legs and competition was too strong, but... could've it not stretched itself to 300M w/less mixed and more positive wom? And BVS and Suicide Squad could've reached way, way higher stratospheres than they did to say the least. That's creative incompetence's fault that audiences didn't respond as well to those films and didn't drive them close to the massive ceilings that they totally had. MOS met the expected range, the following two underperformed (everybody says SS was an overperformer but I wholeheartedly disagree), and WW was the 1st one that reached that high end potential. Bottom line.

Every movie could have made more money. Things like "ceiling" and "potential" are very subjective. Literally every movie could have made as much money as Titanic and any franchise could be as popular as Star Wars.

I will leave that for the imagination, I'm more interest in facts. And fact is every DCEU movie have grossed more than $290 million domestic, and their next two movies, Justice League and Aquaman, are certainly reaching $300 million too. This is objectively not incompetence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Every movie could have made more money. Things like "ceiling" and "potential" are very subjective. Literally every movie could have made as much money as Titanic and any franchise could be as popular as Star Wars.

I will leave that for the imagination, I'm more interest in facts. And fact is every DCEU movie have grossed more than $290 million domestic, and their next two movies, Justice League and Aquaman, are certainly reaching $300 million too. This is objectively not incompetence.

Agreed. Each and every DC movie have increased from the previous (DOM wise) and will continue come Nov..... can't say that with many franchises.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Oh yeah, that fact is a strong, well-telling one. Like I said, the DCEU is very successful. But the "every movie could have made more money" excuse is BS, man. I'm sorry but it is. It may be technically true, but you know deep down in your heart that that is apologism at its finest. Can you honestly tell me that a Get Out or a Boss Baby could have ever made Avatar money? No, and if even if you tried, nobody would ever buy into that. Not even Jurassic World, which crushed and doubled even the loftiest of expectations, made that much money. And guess what? Nobody judges those movies for that, because they made as much money as one could ever dream a movie like that would make. For their standards, those numbers were gigantic. But for the realistic standards - not even dream standards, which could've pushed it to 600M+, straight up realistic - of a movie like BVS, a movie that absolutely could have made 450M+ if everything had gone right or maybe even just decently well (500M was a good target), it made less than 350M. That's a lot of money left in the table, man. And ultimately, that big amount of money left in the table is down to creative incompetence, because the movie could have and should have made way more than it did, but audience wom just wasn't up to snuff. It didn't even double its opening weekend (and it still did 330M, which is scary, but also sad due to the potential unmatched). It may not be business incompetence, but something failed there, zero question.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2