JJ-8

Fantasy Box Office - 2016 Discussion Thread | FBO 2016 Geekfreek Awards .... Winner is announced - see the thread.... Congratulations to all on a game well played!

U can start 1 month prior to the release date.

So on the 8th December both families and the forest come available.

The on the 15th dec. so on and so on.

Kung fu panda won't be avail until 29th dec.

Once available u can choose to invest right up until it's release date.

Of course don't forget, some movies will be more popular than others. So some will go quickly (first in first served. ). Word of wisdom. U need to invest in smaller films to be able to afford those big budget blockbusters. But be careful because if u pick a flop .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

So when is a movie considered "taken"? If I invest 100% in say 13 hours, does that mean that no one else can? Or can muliple people invest in the same film. If I go 50% in can (for example) CJohn go in 75% investment? 

Investments are as follows.

Assuming u have enough money in the bank to purchase.

Each player can invest up to a max of 100% of any film within 1month from release.

The max total for most films will be 200%. Which means that u could get a 50%, 75%, and another 75% in a single film. I'm allowing double to make there is enough investments to go around.

I should note I will identify prior to be available 'blockbusters' which have a max of 300%. The first being Kung fu panda 3 of course. I am open to discussion on what is a blockbuster but once it's available that status will not change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

18 hours ago, DAJK said:

Also, sorry, just one more question. If a movie gets pulled from its release date after we've made the investment, do we get our money back or does it depend on the timeframe?

typically it would be unlikely for a film to be pulled (unless it's extemely limited which most would be unlikely to invest in anyway), that close to the release date.

If moved - it will depend on the move... if the move is within the 1 month window then no change (obviously).  to outside the 1 month window or pulled completely your money and % will be refunded (no loss or no gain as a result.)

• Like 1

Is it just me, or is anyone else already planning ahead?

"Oh, no WAY am I investing anything in Gods of Egypt" or "SIGN ME UP FOR FINDING DORY!"

My "dilemma" is idk if I want to invest in any of the horror pictures from the first week.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grey ghost said:

I just saw a trailer for Fifty Shades of Black. No way that cost only 5 million.

The budget looked much higher.

Wikipedia lists its budget as 5M, but its source says " Open Road won a bidding war for U.S. rights to the film, with a price tag pegged by sources at around $5 million." IMDB estimates 30M.

Edited by lucasbenica
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lucasbenica said:

Wikipedia lists its budget as 5M, but its source says " Open Road won a bidding war for U.S. rights to the film, with a price tag pegged by sources at around $5 million." IMDB estimates 30M.

as we get more info those budget estimates will  be updated until it's available.  it's still the best information we have right now.

just remember we do revise budgets at release up or down also.  (it's in the rules).  though if we get it way wrong in the game, i do have allowances for that and take a final game budget somewhere between the final actual and what we had for the game.

As the saying goes.. nothing is ever easy :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DAJK said:

Is it just me, or is anyone else already planning ahead?

"Oh, no WAY am I investing anything in Gods of Egypt" or "SIGN ME UP FOR FINDING DORY!"

My "dilemma" is idk if I want to invest in any of the horror pictures from the first week.

one thing to remember with horror - no doubt one of these 2 will make between 10m and 20m OW and with budgets estimates of 5m and 15m the chances are both or at least one of those 2 films will be making Money back by the 10th already. also the only impact really is during january... so remember buying a film means you can buy bigger films in feb and on it goes.. assuming u make a profit.

Also don't forget if u don't want the film but don't want to lose money on it by cancelling it you able to offer to sell it to someone else before release.  especially if the film is sold out quickly and that does happen from time to time.  I have seen users previously buy 50% of a film for 50m say and then on sell it to someone else for 80m making a tidy a profit as a result.  so it does happen.. ask Alfred or Townzy, they were both masters of this process!

PS - if you do buy and decide you want to offer it up for sale you create a new thread in the forum itself to avoid any clutter in here.  in that thread you can then negotiate the price with whoever is interested.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lucasbenica said:

IMDB is 20m - as such i've moved the budget to 20m as a result.  I'm more trusting of IMDB's number than Wikipedia.  I also agree that it doesn't look like a 5m type of movie.  that 5m as noted is just the distribution rights alone.

• Like 2

Updated Budgets (The Masked Saint has been added to the wide releases for 8th Jan)

Release Schedule

Available for Investment

Budget Source

January 2016

Nothing is available

Not Available (Available 1 month prior to Release)

Budget Source

January 2016

Friday

New in Theatres

Budget

% Available

Theatres

The Forest

$15m

200%

Wide

Estimate

The Masked Saint

$3.5m

200%

Wide

IMDB

Families

$5m

200%

Wide

Micro Budgeted Horror

Friday

New in Theatres

Budget

% Available

Theatres

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

$50m

200%

Wide

Wikipedia

The 5th Wave

$75m

200%

Wide

Estimated based upon previous scifi

Norm of the North

$40m

200%

Wide

Estimate

The Nut Job 2

$60m

200%

Wide

Estimate (Nut Job ~ 42m)

Ride Along 2

$40m

200%

Wide

Estimate (Ride Along ~ 25m)

Friday

New in Theatres

Budget

% Available

Theatres

The Boy (2016)

$20m

200%

Wide

Estimate - Horror

Dirty Grandpa

$20m

200%

Wide

Estimate

Friday

New in Theatres

Budget

% Available

Theatres

Fifty Shades of Black

$20m

200%

Wide

IMDB

The Finest Hours

$85m

200%

Wide

Wikipedia

Kung Fu Panda 3

$140m

300%

Wide

Wikipedia

Lights Out

$20m

200%

Wide

Estimate

Bank Accounts

17 Players have now signed up and your accounts have been setup.

Bank Accounts - 2016

TW

Investors Title

Movie Count

Total % Active

Total $ Invested

Bank Account Total Gross

Jajang

0%

$0

$100,000,000

WrathofHan