Ionut Alexandru Tita

Romania Box Office

Ok, it looks like I was wrong.

- Fifty Shades Darker had an insane opening, the third biggest ever in admissions, with 150.501 tickets sold for the three day weekend (only behind Fast and Furious 7 and Star Wars: The Force Awakens). It actually managed to beat Fifty Shades of Grey's 145.702 adm debut (currently the 5th biggest ever). In USD, Darker was slightly behind Grey ($692k vs $711k), but that is only because of the ER. In local currency, Darker opened bigger. Even applying the same terrible legs 50SOG had, 50SD should still be able to easily break the 300.000 adm border. In USD, I expect somwhere around $1.35-1.4m).

- The other opener of the weekend, Lego Batman, also managed to exceed it's predecessor's opening, debuting with 31.671 adm and $146k. The Lego Movie had some pretty bad legs, especially for an animation, but I expect Lego Batman to hold a bit better. A total north of $400k should happen methinks. 

- In other news, Assassin's Creed nears the $1.4m border, xXx has the $1.2m one in sights (and it should easily go over $1.3m), Why Him? looks to end up with about $1.1m (major surprise) and Rogue One will close it's run soon enough with barely over $1.3m (60% down from TFA).  

• Like 5

Well, I'm a little bit disappointed with this numbers. I was expected to break 200k adm. and $1M...or at least to beat SW7 in adm. Still, 150k adm it's a good/great start, and there's no reason why 50SD couldn't fly past $1.5m and 350k adm. Tuesday will be HUGE! 

btw: I'm sure FF8 will be the first film who will destroy this 2 records. and I'm serious start thinking if FF8 can manage to break 250k adm in ow. 

James - spune-mi te rog ca nu delirez :D 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thunder storm said:

Well, I'm a little bit disappointed with this numbers. I was expected to break 200k adm. and $1M...or at least to beat SW7 in adm. Still, 150k adm it's a good/great start, and there's no reason why 50SD couldn't fly past $1.5m and 350k adm. Tuesday will be HUGE! 

btw: I'm sure FF8 will be the first film who will destroy this 2 records. and I'm serious start thinking if FF8 can manage to break 250k adm in ow. 

James - spune-mi te rog ca nu delirez :D 

You know, I actually don't know lol. I though 50 Shades will fall from the first one. It didn't. Just think that it fell pretty much everywhere except here. It actually increasing is beyond huge. When it comes to FF8, again, I think it will rather drop because the Paul Walker element will be gone. I for one went to see FF7 in theaters only for him, as did the 2 guys who were with me. Neither of us will go for FF8.

Either way, we'll have a new champion in May and that is POTC5. I bet all my money on that one. I am so certain of it I am ready to call 200.000 adm OW a lock, which is insane. So if FF8 takes the crown from FF7, it won't hold it for long. 

On 2/14/2017 at 1:39 PM, Quigley said:

This report says that 12.00M admissions were sold last year in Romania, up 7.5% from the 11.17M admissions sold in 2015. Admissions are up 84% since 2010. The gross in ROL was 228M (50.23M€), up 10.2% from 206.9M (45.73M€) in 2015. The gross is more than double compared to 2010.

http://www.mediasalles.it/ybk2017/index.html

Pretty much all those numbers are wrong and Cinemagia confirms it. Over 12.7m tickets were sold last year. The cause of the mistake is ForumFilmRomania, one of the main distributors, stopping to report regular admission figures. Te figure in Euros is over 53m (same explanation). 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, thunder storm said:

300k adm. for Grey after 2 weeks and $1.3M. that's HUGE!

probably will finish with 420k+ adm. and $1.8M

Yep, it's holding much much better than the first one! But the biggest new of the week is John Wick 2's insane debut: 65.467 admissions and $312k. It just came out of nowhere and I think it has a shot at $1m.

Rings also did well for a horror movie (23.444 adm and $99k), while A Cure For Wellness bombed (still, can't wait to see it!).

• Like 4

An other Thread that hasn't been updated wuite a while...

1 97.600* --- 97.600 1 The Beauty and the Beast
2 37.402 -50 139.963 2 Kong
3 20.832 -49 190.836 3 Logan
4 19.212 --- 19.212 1 Sleepless
5 15.613 -43 77.863 3 Ballerina
6 11.350 --- 11.350 1 Silence
7 5.341 -49 91.197 4 Fist Fight
8 2.952 -54 12.387 2 Alibi.com
9 2.893 -60 167.157 5 John Wick 2
10 2.867 -47 28.205 4 Rock Dog

So BatB couldn't get to 100k on OW but this seems to be a great OW - James would know better...

It's the second best of the year behind FSOG2 (150k) and in front of Assassins (92k). TJB had 66k, Alice2 had 17k, Cinderella had 17k

It's allready in the Yearly Top10:

1 374.628 Fifty Shades Darker
2 265.582 Assassin's Creed
3 228.677 xXx
4 190.836 Logan
5 167.157 John Wick 2
6 139.963 Kong - Skull Island
7 123.656 The Snow Queen 3
8 115.863 Collateral Beauty
9 97.600* The Beauty and the Beast
10 91.197 Fist Fight

All according to InsideKino...

Haven't updated in a while, but FF8 is coming this next weekend and seeing how all schools and unis are off and the movie will have an entire week of previews rolled in (shows starting from today), I predict it will defeat FF7 for the biggest OW ever and it will register the first ever 200.000+ admissions OW. I am thinking around 210.000!

• Like 2

There is no word to describe what happened this weekend in Romania. We have a new record (adm, lc, and usd ). F8 just shattered the previous record set by F7 (196k adm and $898k) with an AMAZING, SUPERB and UNBELIEVABLE 366.195 adm and $1.73M. Absolutely monstrous! 

no one saw this will coming. my bet was 250k adm, but this is insanity! A new King is in town. Star Wars, Marvel, DC, or any other franchise has no power here. FF is the TRUE KING in Romania

Unfortunately (but for me is good news because I'm huge fan of FF) no movie will break this record too soon. We just have to wait for 2019, when F9 will arrive. If this market will keep growing so fast, F9 can hit 500k+ adm in ow, and F10 over 800k adm. Only the sky is the limit for this franchise. 

Of course, I don't have to say: F8 will be the king of boxoffice this year in my country. Sorry SW fans, Vin Diesel is to big for Dark Vader.

#366.195adm #$1.73M #7.37M lc #new record #FFisthetrueKing

Edited by thunder storm
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, thunder storm said:

There is no word to describe what happened this weekend in Romania. We have a new record (adm, lc, and usd ). F8 just shattered the previous record set by F7 (196k adm and $898k) with an AMAZING, SUPERB and UNBELIEVABLE 366.195 adm and $1.73M. Absolutely monstrous! 

no one saw this will coming. my bet was 250k adm, but this is insanity! A new King is in town. Star Wars, Marvel, DC, or any other franchise has no power here. FF is the TRUE KING in Romania

Unfortunately (but for me is good news because I'm huge fan of FF) no movie will break this record too soon. We just have to wait for 2019, when F9 will arrive. If this market will keep growing so fast, F9 can hit 500k+ adm in ow, and F10 over 800k adm. Only the sky is the limit for this franchise. 

Of course, I don't have to say: F8 will be the king of boxoffice this year in my country. Sorry SW fans, Vin Diesel is to big for Dark Vader.

Just saw this. WTF?!!!!!!!

Oh, and as insane as it may sound, I am betting the record is going down again this year. POTC5 is coming. Even though it will be difficult. But 250k adm at least should happen.

7 hours ago, James said:

Just saw this. WTF?!!!!!!!

Oh, and as insane as it may sound, I am betting the record is going down again this year. POTC5 is coming. Even though it will be difficult. But 250k adm at least should happen.

I don't think depp has a chance to break this record. For now I'm saying "only" 190k adm and $1m ow. F8 was the perfect storm. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, thunder storm said:

I don't think depp has a chance to break this record. For now I'm saying "only" 190k adm and $1m ow. F8 was the perfect storm. 

Yeah, the bar is insanely high, but that is pretty much the only movie that has even a remote chance of doing it until the next FF. POTC set the OW record in 2011 and was the second highest movie after Avatar at that time. Even by todays standards, it did massive numbers.

• Like 1

On 24.04.2017 at 2:34 PM, thunder storm said:

You beat F8 in Poland. WOW!

Although our best OW is more than 800k adm, population ratio 1,9:1 - you have great potential so do we :)

You are waiting for first 500k and we are waiting for first 1mln considering number of people in each country :)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Pypa94 said:

You beat F8 in Poland. WOW!

Although our best OW is more than 800k adm, population ratio 1,9:1 - you have great potential so do we :)

You are waiting for first 500k and we are waiting for first 1mln considering number of people in each country :)

I am so curious to see where the growth will stop here and when will the market stabilize. The increase was between 10-20% yearly in admissions for the past 7-8 years. And with more and more screens being built every year I am sure that 500k OW is not THAT far away.

• Like 1