kayumanggi

FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM | 580.0 M overseas ● 814.0 M worldwide

The only other number he have from Europe is Sweden, which is pretty good. From that OD it should be able to do 2.2-2.3m, which would be a 75% retention retention rate from your average Potter movie, like DH2. We'll find out more tomorrow.

Edited by James

5 hours ago, peludo said:

Sure. I did not even remember to have posted that message. The difference is that China had just met its new top grosser ever when I posted that. The market has slowed down A LOT since then.

And I sincerely thought that Hobbit behaviour could be a good reference for Harry Potter, since LOTR and HP did similar figures in 2002-2004 and because DH2 already did over 400m Yuan 5 years ago. It is obvious that FB is not making 1 billion Yuan now. Maybe 500-600m is the target now.

For some reason, I thought your post was part of the more recent posts in this thread. I must have clicked on the wrong page. I wouldn't have replied if I knew you made that statement in March. :P

Sorry. 

1 hour ago, kswiston said:

For some reason, I thought your post was part of the more recent posts in this thread. I must have clicked on the wrong page. I wouldn't have replied if I knew you made that statement in March. :P

Sorry. 

Do not worry, buddy ;)

7 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

I don't see a big difference between the two of them. 

Both are part of a known brand with a completely new story and new characters. 

Not many of us expected Strange to have these good numbers, we expected something similar to Ant-Man. On the other hand many expected impressive numbers for FB.

That's all about expectations.

6 hours ago, efialtes76 said:

Indonesia scored a similar phenomenon with $480K on 690 screens for a Top 5 market share of over 75%. This is the best opening for a Wizarding World movie save for Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2.

Thank you for reporting Indonesia numbers!

In terms of admission, that is about 181k tickets sold.

A huge opening as I expected, Wednesday night looked like a weekend because of the crowd. Indonesia only have less than 1200 screens, so 690 is pretty dominant.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Not many of us expected Strange to have these good numbers, we expected something similar to Ant-Man. On the other hand many expected impressive numbers for FB.

That's all about expectations.

Only because some Potter Diehards cry for 125m openings, that doesn't make it a reasonable prediction. Seeing the trailers and the historic setting, 70-80m and 200m total was always where this was headed to and where it might go after all. 
Harry Potter was about Harry Potter, this has no connection to the Person Harry Potter at all. Especially not in that first part of the story. It's the same for Rogue One. 400m would be an amazing achievment for a movie that only has Vader as a link to the beloved SW Characters. And still there's talk about 500m being a lock. 

• Like 1

Playing with numbers, the gloomy or moderate version (depends on who you ask).

It opens with 76 mil, right about target. Then the good but not great reviews and WOM gives it a 2.6x multiplier, ending DOM with 197.6 mil. 

Asia loves it, but Europe not so much, and then there's that ER thing. A 32:68 splits gives 617.5 mil WW.

Potter opening days and weekends and totals in Greece:

Title Opening day 4-day weekend (Thu-Sun) Release date Total admissions
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone 23,846 Fri, 30/11/2001 850,000
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 26,118 Fri, 29/11/2002 650,000
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 38,168 173,800 Wed, 08/09/2004 396,000
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 20,587 178,200 Thu, 24/11/2005 443,200
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 47,378 101,200 Tue, 21/08/2007 394,301
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 42,624 94,100 Tue, 25/08/2009 312,800
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 28,867 166,211 Thu, 18/11/2010 381,400
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 50,350 104,660 Wed, 13/07/2011 351,908

Fantastic Beasts sold 16,500 admissions on its first day. Dismal opening but may recover over the weekend. At this point, a 300,000 admissions total is probably unlikely.

• Like 1