kayumanggi

MOANA | 394.6 M overseas ● 643.3 M worldwide

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

99% chance of not making half of Frozen in Japan. Zootopia should be the benchmark for Moana's Japan performance.

I think it will make a bit more than Zootopia. It really was a brilliant move by Disney to move it out of the way of FB and RO. And by the time it opens, the great reception around the world will boost it even more. Japan doesn't have piracy issues anyway.  

8 minutes ago, James said:

I think it will make a bit more than Zootopia. It really was a brilliant move by Disney to move it out of the way of FB and RO. And by the time it opens, the great reception around the world will boost it even more. Japan doesn't have piracy issues anyway.  

Well, it's not brilliant as much as it is routine for Disney. March is also where The Good Dinosaur and Frozen went in Japan.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Moana will be huge, in the US people already cry after seeing it because it's so moving :shades:

You'll see, even the Chinese won't be able to resist :worthy:

Presales for Your Name are on par to Moana even coming 7 days later. Fantastic Beasts this week and Your Name next one are too much competition. I do not see big things for Moana in China...

2 minutes ago, peludo said:

Presales for Your Name are on par to Moana even coming 7 days later. Fantastic Beasts this week and Your Name next one are too much competition. I do not see big things for Moana in China...

Presales aren't important, WOM is :worthy:

I have a slightly unrelated question for @Olive, I know China has some kind of a quota system or whatever for importing films, but had China ever had a ban on Japanese movies or animes?

Korea, due to the colonial experience, placed a ban on Japanese movies and it only started to be lifted gradually in the late 90s'/early 00s', starting with the ones with the major international award winners. 

5 minutes ago, peludo said:

But Moana is not Frozen. Your Name is Your Name :P

What I mean is that Frozen was even bigger than YN in Japan but it was far from being the same success in China. ^^

And you can't be sure Moana's WOM in China wouldn't undermine YN.

BO is not so easy to predict, you should know it now ;)

Just now, yjs said:

I have a slightly unrelated question for @Olive, I know China has some kind of a quota system or whatever for importing films, but had China ever had a ban on Japanese movies or animes?

Korea, due to the colonial experience, placed a ban on Japanese movies and it only started to be lifted gradually in the late 90s'/early 00s', starting with the ones with the major international award winners. 

Yes, of course, we the relationship between the governments are not good, movies from Japan are difficult to pass the censorship.

But this year we have released more than 10 Japanese movies, for comps, zero korean movie(Chinese government are not pleased about the THAAD deployment ).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

What I mean is that Frozen was even bigger than YN in Japan but it was far from being the same success in China. ^^

And you can't be sure Moana's WOM in China wouldn't undermine YN.

BO is not so easy to predict, you should know it now ;)

Of course, but given the limited schedules for each film in China, unless you get incredible WOM, the competition rules. There is nothing assured, but data tell me that Moana will have problems in China.

Edited by peludo

14 minutes ago, Olive said:

Yes, of course, we the relationship between the governments are not good, movies from Japan are difficult to pass the censorship.

But this year we have released more than 10 Japanese movies, for comps, zero korean movie(Chinese government are not pleased about the THAAD deployment ).

gotcha! shouldn't be talking about politics here but that was a rather dumb decision on us. 

Canada

23 November 2016  
USA 23 November 2016  
Azerbaijan 24 November 2016  
Belarus 24 November 2016  
Croatia 24 November 2016  
Cambodia 24 November 2016  
Kazakhstan 24 November 2016  
Portugal 24 November 2016  
Serbia 24 November 2016  
Singapore 24 November 2016  
Ukraine 24 November 2016  
Bulgaria 25 November 2016  
China 25 November 2016  
Estonia 25 November 2016  
Indonesia 25 November 2016  
Lithuania 25 November 2016  
Pakistan 25 November 2016  
Poland 25 November 2016  
Vietnam 25 November 2016  

This is Moana's first territories this week. Only China is a big territory. Singapore and Indonesia could surprise though.

Next week is interesting though :

Belgium 30 November 2016  
France 30 November 2016  
Netherlands 30 November 2016  
Philippines 30 November 2016  
Hungary 1 December 2016  
Malaysia 1 December 2016  
Russia 1 December 2016  
Slovakia 1 December 2016  
Thailand 1 December 2016  
Spain 2 December 2016  
UK 2 December 2016  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Purple Minion said:

Moana opens on 2 December in Mexico too. Only competition that week is Sully and the remnants of FB, it should have a clear slate until Rogue One opens 2 weeks after.

Frozen's 7M audience is the benchmark.

Apart from the terrible ER I think Moana will do well in Mexico :)

On 24 November 2016 at 1:38 AM, CelestialFairyIX said:

Moana:

- $325 - 350 million domestically 

- $500 - 600 million OS 

WW: $825 - 950 million 

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GROSS OVER $1 BILLION! 

This prediction looks pretty sensible to me. But yeah hopefully it does more! Especially in North America.

• Like 1