grim22

The Hunger Games Franchise: What went so right (THG, CF) and then so wrong (MJ1, MJ2)

@water THG and CF were way more popular with white audiences, the movies reached the minorities later, that's why the "white gross" decreased and the "black/latino/others gross" didn't.

In Hungary every installment increased in admissons, and there are a lot of racist people. :lol:

No sane person is against social Justice.

Social Justice Warrior is a term used to describe someone who makes everything into a social and racial issue, however the actual words SJW don't actually mean what we define the concept. 

Pretty much SJW trivialize the whole concept of Social Justice.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

No sane person is against social Justice.

Social Justice Warrior is a term used to describe someone who makes everything into a social and racial issue, however the actual words SJW don't actually mean what we define the concept. 

Pretty much SJW trivialize the whole concept of Social Justice.

Well everyone has a different opinion how justice is aplied to these divisive situations. But alot of the SJW debate is over political correctness. Some people want racism to stay taboo at all cost, some want to protect free speech cost, and then others just want society to be openly racist/misogynist/homophobic again.

I, myself, hope for a careful balance between taboo racism and free speech. But fuck the people who want to turn back the clock to 1930's.

• Like 1

well i think we can all agree that no one's opinion has budged in the slightest, and this has all been a colossal waste of time and energy. you'd think i would have learned by now not to bring up SJ stuff on here. so let's put these theatrics away for safe keeping until star wars comes out, i'm sure we'll all need them!b49700a3.gif

auFihfd.gif

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, water said:

well i think we can all agree that no one's opinion has budged in the slightest, and this has all been a colossal waste of time and energy. you'd think i would have learned by now not to bring up SJ stuff on here. so let's put these theatrics away for safe keeping until star wars comes out, i'm sure we'll all need them!b49700a3.gif

What's your opinion on my theory?

15 minutes ago, water said:

auFihfd.gif

SW has a lack of black characters. :ohmyzod:

1 hour ago, water said:

auFihfd.gif

I'm fine with your speech, by why put this GIF of Whoopi Goldberg?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 75live said:

I look at it the the first one benefited coming out after HP and Twilight.  That audience was going to be starved for a new place to go and THG was the answer so it exploded the first movie.  The second movie did what a some breakouts do, the GA looks around and goes what the heck was that movie that made so much money and decide to give it a try, so the second film goes up.  However, what tends to happen is some of that GA that saw the second one goes "well that wasn't anything special" and they fall away so the numbers go down on the third one and it continues to fall.  

However with this one, I think the fanbase didn't go as much either so that is why the bigger drop than before.

This is an interesting point. The first came out right after Potter ended. The second came out right after Twilight ended. By the third, a lot of that young adult audience probably moved on and didn't need the quick replacement anymore. And now, mentally a lot of people have moved on to Marvel/Star Wars. 

• Like 1

The first two movies were sold on the promise of the games themselves. The trailers (and in particular the trailer for CF, still bloody awesome) made a huge big deal out of NOT showing anything from the games, turning that aspect of the films into a must see event.

Without the games, these movies have no hook to a mainstream audience. The Twilight and HP franchises kept a very consistent audience because the films themselves were tonally naratively consistent. Go back and watch THG and it feels a million miles away from MJ2.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2015, 5:36:00, water said:

thanks for that math! big help for my argument

NEW QUESTION (in addition to what made white audience drop 30% while non-white audience dropped 0%?): what made white attendance drop TWICE MORE than black and asian attendance?

Maybe the white people thought that the movies after CF were mocking a white guy named Jay.

However, if the drop from CF to MJ1 had something specific to do with white people, then the drop from MJ1 to MJ2 would have stabilized. But it did not.

I go with the 'no games' theory (No games is why I waited and watched MJ1 on TV, when I was channel surfing and accidentally came across it. Had watched CF twice in theaters).

In THG, the premise of forcing independent YAs to compete with each other in a realistic virtual environment with innovative traps set by authoritarian sadists attracted a lot of non-reader audience. CF also had those games and was a great movie. But the climax of CF in some ways and MJ1's marketing clearly conveyed that  the third 'Hunger Games' didn't have any hunger games.

Haven't watched MJ2 or read the books, but going by the trailer it too did not seem to have the official games in the manner that THG and CF had. The trailer does have the "welcome to the Xth hunger games" line

Spoiler

but I got the feel that the "games"/traps pitted the rebels against the Capitol for a short while, and did not pit independent YAs against each other extensively, as they did in the first two movies.

MJ1 and MJ2 both seemed disconnected from the basic premise - i.e the hunger games - that attracted so many people who hadn't read the books or weren't fans of it if even if they did read it.

Edited by a2knet

19 hours ago, water said:

Serious question, what makes you think this? I'm not joking either, I genuinely want to know what I have said or done that makes you think I'm not serious. Everything I say as an "SJW" is completely normal and makes sense. Your view of the world is troubling if you think anything I say isn't legit. Not to mention how people gang up on me and make me look like the crazy one when I actually have an argument based on numerical fact, and 10 people can be like "no you're wrong" but when I ask "ok what's your answer to this question then" none of them have one. If anything, the people that argue against me seem more like anti-SJW parodies, but sadly they're not, people really are like that.

TELL HA !

bey-yaass-o.gif

9 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

This is why MJ1 did not do well 

Leader of the Rebels: "This Revolution is about everyone!"

Katniss: "Then you should have saved Peeta wahhhhhhhhhh" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Katniss goes from a strong character to just so annoying and unlikable in Mj1.

I blame that on the director. In the book, it was clear that the reason she didn't want to participate is because after her entire district was bombed, she concluded that anything she does against the Capitol ends up with more people dying on her shoulders, just like in District 8. Peeta was one of the main ones she felt sorry for, though. I guess the script writers focused more on the Peeta aspect. Didn't like how they did the D8 scene either, the camera angle made it look like she crashed the plane into the hospital, plus in the book, she shot rounds of planes, not just one. Oh well. 

I think Part 1 was more of a combination of poor marketing, and it being the part 1 of the franchise.

Part 2 had to do with a mixture of poor marketing (about as bad or worse than MJ1) and MJ1 sucking.

Audiences clearly weren't interested in the story MJ1 was telling and saw no need to show up for part 2.

• Like 1