AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

10 hours ago, Baumer Fett said:

It doesn't fit.  There are plenty of obvious hints in the film that she is Luke's daughter.  And why would reincarnation be introduced now?  It's never been mentioned before in the SW universe.  And Anakin did bring balance to the force like the prophecy said, he killed the emperor.

I think it fits like a glove.  Immaculate conception was introduced in Episode I.  Why not reincarnation with Episode VII?

There are certainly hints she's a Skywalker, I'll agree.  But none of them necessitate that she's Luke's daughter.  I'll grant you that they don't necessarily mean she's Anakin II, either.  But I think Star Wars, as a nine movie series, works better as a story about the Chosen One.  It feels more coherent and thematically consistent. 

Remember, the very first dialogue in the movie has a blatant statement that there still isn't balance in the Force, and that the Jedi need to return to restore it.  The prophecy of the Chosen One has yet to be fulfilled.

This Skywalker reincarnation idea strikes me as really fascinating. I would not have a problem with that, if they would really go down this lane storywise.

As for Finn vs. Ren... well, at first this seems very problematic since he nearly had been beaten to a pulp by TR-8R roughly half an hour ago. But once you realize that Finn desparately wants to protect the girl he has fallen for and Kylo, arrogant, insecure prick that he is, obviously thinks he could play himself a nice game of cat & mouse with his new found prey dispite being heavily wounded... well, then it works. At least for me. Kylo recognizing his arrogant mistake in due time and switching from Mrs. Poppins to Jigsaw mode does help too.

Rey vs. Kylo... this has already been discussed through from every angle. Kylo plus wookie blaster wound plus being somewhat physically and mentally exhausted from bleeding out, sparring and patriciding seems to be in no condition to tap into his potential powers. Rey nonetheless seems to tap into her darker side, into the wrong side of the force, since she clearly strikes out against Ren in fear and anger (which, as we all know, will lead to suffering). This plus the evidence or specks that hint towards her being somehow connected to the force already is enough for me to accept the outcome of his fight.

Does this make Ren a weak villain? To a degree, yes. However, Kylo Ren is not Vader. Heck, he isn't even on par with Maul. However we don't know if this isn't intentional. As for now, he comes across like a spoiled, easy to manipulate bratt who taps into forces he doesn't really understand. Maybe that's a flaw of the script. Maybe it's intentional and necessary for the next two movies. Just because Rey brings Luke his light saber, that doesn't necessarily mean that she is the good one in this story and just because Kylo Ren kills off his father and orders to slay hundreds of innocents, that doesn't necessarily mean he will stay the main villain (besides Snooker and his Nazi General that is). Yes, I realize that this may be a far cry from the future outcome, I am just spinning thoughts there.

What did not work for me? Knights of Ren. Or better said, the absence of them. Given the whole "YAY! Knights of Ren! Look at this photos! YAY! Bleedin' cool!" mambo-yambo beforehand, I was deeply dissatisfied with their screentime (or should I better say non-existence onscreen?). And sacrificing a character like Phasma for a cheap fanservice jokel is no-go-land (coughdarthmaulcough).

Last but not least: the death of Solo. Parental advisory: explicit lyrics coming in!

Spoiler

Fuck them. Fuck them all. I am still pissed beyond words. I don't give a shit that this is mostly seen as a bold move storywise that builds tension for the next two pictures as NO ONE IS SAVE! Fuck that! Kill of her highness. I'll shrug my shoulders. Kill of womp rat boy. I'll snark. But Solo? FUCK YOU JJ! Rot in hell!1! Killing off my most beloved charakter from the original trilogy for cheap thrills comes nothing short of a war declaration, plain and easy. It is the one and only reason I refuse(d) to watch the movie again during its cinematic run. Call me stupid, call me names, even call me IronSolo all you want, but that was a dick move that I won't forget, let alone forgive. It has simply broken my heart. From the moment Solo looked at his boy on the bridge I was like "Nonononononononononononono! Don't you dare to go there, don't you even dare to think about it!"... *sigh* "Movie makers"... they have no heart for the elderly. Or elderly fanboys that is. Shitheads!

Well, I guess my point about Solo's death became clear.

Despite that small flaw it was a highly enjoyable movie. But my wife still likes only Avatar when it comes to SciFi.

Well, at least she likes Harrison Ford.

Edited by incognitoo
correcting typos

1 hour ago, incognitoo said:

This Skywalker reincarnation idea strikes me as really fascinating. I would not have a problem with that, if they would really go down this lane storywise.

As for Finn vs. Ren... well, at first this seems very problematic since he nearly had been beaten to a pulp by TR-8R roughly half an hour ago. But once you realize that Finn desparately wants to protect the girl he has fallen for and Kylo, arrogant, insecure prick that he is, obviously thinks he could play himself a nice game of cat & mouse with his new found prey dispite being heavily wounded... well, then it works. At least for me. Kylo recognizing his arrogant mistake in due time and switching from Mrs. Poppins to Jigsaw mode does help too.

Rey vs. Kylo... this has already been discussed through from every angle. Kylo plus wookie blaster wound plus being somewhat physically and mentally exhausted from bleeding out, sparring and patriciding seems to be in no condition to tap into his potential powers. Rey nonetheless seems to tap into her darker side, into the wrong side of the force, since she clearly strikes out against Ren in fear and anger (which, as we all know, will lead to suffering). This plus the evidence or specks that hint towards her being somehow connected to the force already is enough for me to accept the outcome of his fight.

Does this make Ren a weak villain? To a degree, yes. However, Kylo Ren is not Vader. Heck, he isn't even on par with Maul. However we don't know if this isn't intentional. As for now, he comes across like a spoiled, easy to manipulate bratt who taps into forces he doesn't really understand. Maybe that's a flaw of the script. Maybe it's intentional and necessary for the next two movies. Just because Rey brings Luke his light saber, that doesn't necessarily mean that she is the good one in this story and just because Kylo Ren kills off his father and orders to slay hundreds of innocents, that doesn't necessarily mean he will stay the main villain (besides Snooker and his Nazi General that is). Yes, I realize that this may be a far cry from the future outcome, I am just spinning thoughts there.

What did not work for me? Knights of Ren. Or better said, the absence of them. Given the whole "YAY! Knights of Ren! Look at this photos! YAY! Bleedin' cool!" mambo-yambo beforehand, I was deeply dissatisfied with their screentime (or should I better say non-existence onscreen?). And sacrificing a character like Phasma for a cheap fanservice jokel is no-go-land (coughdarthmaulcough).

Last but not least: the death of Solo. Parental advisory: explicit lyrics coming in!

Hide contents

Fuck them. Fuck them all. I am still pissed beyond words. I don't give a shit that this is mostly seen as a bold move storywise that builds tension for the next two pictures as NO ONE IS SAVE! Fuck that! Kill of her highness. I'll shrug my shoulders. Kill of womp rat boy. I'll snark. But Solo? FUCK YOU JJ! Rot in hell!1! Killing off my most beloved charakter from the original trilogy for cheap thrills comes nothing short of a war declaration, plain and easy. It is the one and only reason I refuse(d) to watch the movie again during its cinematic run. Call me stupid, call me names, even call me IronSolo all you want, but that was a dick move that I won't forget, let alone forgive. It has simply broken my heart. From the moment Solo looked at his boy on the bridge I was like "Nonononononononononononono! Don't you dare to go there, don't you even dare to think about it!"... *sigh* "Movie makers"... they have no heart for the elderly. Or elderly fanboys that is. Shitheads!

Well, I guess my point about Solo's death became clear.

Despite that small flaw it was a highly enjoyable movie. But my wife still likes only Avatar when it comes to SciFi.

Well, at least she likes Harrison Ford.

I think the person to blame the most for Han's death is Harrison.  I don't think he wanted to do 3 movies and he always wanted Han to die in Jedi.  If Harrison would have done multiple movies, I'm sure he would have survived for Episode VIII.

1 hour ago, Dark 33Legend of the Sith said:

I think the person to blame the most for Han's death is Harrison.  I don't think he wanted to do 3 movies and he always wanted Han to die in Jedi.  If Harrison would have done multiple movies, I'm sure he would have survived for Episode VIII.

Hmmm. While I don't want to dismiss the possibility of this, I don't believe that Ford would still think about killing off Solo 30 Years after Return of the Jedi. Given how much money he was paid doing The Force Awakens, it is hard for me to believe he would pass on the opportunity to triple that amount within the next years. He sure is wealthy enough to pass on future Solo appearances, but then again we are talking about top dollars here. *sigh* Well, whoever is responsible for this... this... unpleasent decision, I am very disappointed with him.

I'm not knowledgeable about SW I must confess, so don't hate me for this, but two questions:

Why is everyone convinced that Kylo is a villain? He is too weak to be a baddy and the bridge scene seemed to me hinting that he might be playing both sides, otherwise the acting was bad, which wasn't the case in my book.

How on Earth did Finn hold off Kylo in the fight? Rey being a Jedi makes sense, but Finn? Don't you think that it undermined the fight between Rey and Kylo afterwards that the film was building up to?

20 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Why is everyone convinced that Kylo is a villain? He is too weak to be a baddy and the bridge scene seemed to me hinting that he might be playing both sides, otherwise the acting was bad, which wasn't the case in my book.

I don't see how you can go back after killing your dad.  I think we'll see his journey into a true darth vader type.

20 hours ago, The Dark Alfred said:

How on Earth did Finn hold off Kylo in the fight? Rey being a Jedi makes sense, but Finn? Don't you think that it undermined the fight between Rey and Kylo afterwards that the film was building up to?

I did think he held his own.  He was toying with him for a bit than when Finn got a lucky shot in he kicked his ass.

2. Nope mate, it was utter ridiculous that Finn stood a chance. It devalues the character and can't be regarded as a terrifying villain.

1. He's not Vader, nowhere near. He's facial expression hinted that he didn't really want to kill Solo. Probably Han sacrificed himself so Kylo could prove himself to his boss and get closer to him before switches sides. Otherwise it's shockingly confusing acting.

20 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Probably Han sacrificed himself so Kylo could prove himself to his boss and get closer to him before switches sides. Otherwise it's shockingly confusing acting.

That makes no sense. Kylo was intending to kill Han the entire time, he just wasn't sure he could do it.

Two main theories about who Rey is:

1. She is both the daughter of Luke and the granddaughter of Obi-Wan. i.e. Luke gave birth to Rey with Obi-Wan's daughter.

2. She is a reincarnation of Anakin or has the same origin of Anakin, created directly by midichlorian, aka a Chosen One.

I agrees with the latter one.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2015 at 9:58 AM, Haha said:

The problem for me was not the scale of the battles but that Poe was too good at everyting. He shot down 10-20 TIES with out effort and destroy the "big thing with a diffcult name" like it was a walk in the park. Anakin in the TPM came to mind and my emotional connection was lost.

Thats true but to be fair Anakin was literally the Strongest in the force but he still had to figure some stuff out as he went in TPM. As for Poe he was trained to do this for the last 20 ish years I imagine so tiefighters being no problem makes perfect sense to me. As for the ease of Star Killer Base I do agree with you there. A bit too easy and reminiscent