ddddeeee

Film scores 2016

10 hours ago, Blank Panther said:

Presuming you're talking about its reprisal of the Sherman Bros songs, funnily that's one of the reasons I liked it because I felt like even though it was there, it was subtle (with the exception of two moments) and not often used compared to other films using the similar method.

then again different strokes for different folks

One of the main themes is note for note Jerry Goldsmith's Star Trek Voyager theme. It's the most blatant piece of plagiarism in film music in a while.

• Like 2

Gotcha. I'll admit I'm pretty score-illiterate, so I didn't notice that. I can imagine that'd be annoying, but ignorance is bliss? At least in my case haha

But I can see where you're coming from for sure.

Debney score to Passion of the Christ is amazing, but he is part of that huge group of composers almost forgotten by Hollywood. I would love to listen more things from Trevor Jones or David Arnold.

What about James Newton Howard being the composer for Fantaastic Beasts? That increased like x100 my interest for that movie.

From what I have listened, TJB is competent, X-Men is notable, BvS is a mess with a few interesting themes (Wonder Woman), and CW is functional and forgettable.

A thought about IDR score

One of the biggest missed oportunities in a while. After the bombastic great score David Arnold wrote for ID, we have a formulaic generic score that barely uses the great motifs of the original film.

Poor Arnold. Being replaced by lame Kloser...

:puke:

3 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

BFG isn't really doing it for me yet, I'll keep trying.

Secret Life of Pets is a lot of fun.

Finding Dory is lovely but lacking a strong theme to anchor it like all the best Newman scores.

I still think that Finding Dory can get a nom. The music made the movie, in my opinion.

BFG theme is growing as I listen to it

Dory is magic, but as @ddddeeee says, there is not a new poweful theme attached to it.

Some of the best cues this year can be found in X-Men Apocalypse score (The Transference / The Pyramid collapses / You're XMen).

BFG has really grown on me. One listen really isn't enough to appreciate all the complexity of a Williams score. I remember was so disappointed with TFA during my first listen and now that's my favorite score of the millennium. 

Granted, BFG is still a notch below Alice Through the Looking Glass and maybe The Jungle Book for me.

The Monkey King 2 is out now and I couldn't be more excited for that score.

I was just tuning in to the Q3 earnings broadcast from Disney, and they started playing music from recent Disney movies. I noticed that there was some instrumental piece. At first I thought it might be Star Wars, but then I realized it was Zootopia. This track:

Caught me off guard. It's quite nice.

Finding Dory's is hauntingly beautiful. I don't think standout themes would have really worked with it, it just creates the perfect atmosphere each scene is going for. Repeated themes from Nemo are used really sparingly as well, so I'd be shocked if this wasn't at least a nom.