AndyLL

Derby & Derby Game Feature Requests

@Shawn and I designed the base game design and look & feel.

The beta testers ( Staff and Premium users ) offered a lot of feedback on the base game.

Now it's your turn.  What features, functionality and changes would you like to see in the Derby and related sub-games?

I'll use this 1st post to track all features I expect to add:

Base Game

• Weekly Game Charts - These charts visualize the data for a weekly game.  Right now I am displaying: Avg Pred/Actual/You, Difference from Average, and the $ break outs of alll 10 movies by Avg Pred/Actual/You
  • Overall Charts - Not finalized but will contain comparisons between you, the average, and any other player. Also some type comparison against the actuals.

Tournaments

• Display a comparison of you and your opposites predictions.

• Like 1

Here is a list of functionality I'm thinking of putting in the Game.  On all of these I'd love feedback on the best way to do it.

Notifications

It's challenge for people to remember to play every week.  Especially those that don't like to put in predictions until later that week.  I've tried different ways to remind people with various degrees of success.  Here are the options I can think of right now.

1. Forum announcement ( like last week ) on the final day of predictions.
  2. An email when predictions open.
  3. An email before predictions close ( the # hours before configurable by you )

Before I do any of these I'd like feedback from the players on what would work.

Data & Charts

I'm always willing to put in more views of the data and charts to visualize the data.  However people need to let me know what they want to see

Top performers and statistics

At both a weekly/overall level - Top total %, new %, holdover %, all players against actuals, # wins, # top 10s... 

Derby Fantasy League

I'm thinking of doing a Derby Fantasy League over the summer season.  In it's simplest form it would be 10 players per league who would play round-robin matches against each other throughout the summer with a tournament for the top 4 at the end of the season.  Or instead of just you against 9 other players in a league allow people to put together a team of 2-4 people and complete against 9 other teams.  Or likely some combination.

Let me know if there is any interest.

• Like 1

My thoughts: 

Notifications - a forum announcement (preferably a banner message or similar) a day before is a must.  Would the system be capable of generating an optional pop-up notification when the Derby opens and on the day before predictions close?  Looks like we have a lot of players who don't even enter predictions until late Thursday, while many others have posted they totally forgot.  I also think a configurable e-mail reminder is great, too - perfect for those who need it but can be disabled for those who don't.

Stats - it would be neat to show how many Derby victories a player has.  Aside from that, I think what we have now is great.  There's been some suggestions about streamlining how we can view information about our Tournament opponents and anything to this end would be welcomed by most players.

Fantasy League - I like the idea of the Round Robin, probably no more than 10-12 players per league.  My suggestion would be to hold off on this until the Spring (or even start of Summer) until players can get situated playing the traditional Derby/Tournament.  I'm working to recruit more players (who will be complete rookies at this) and giving them and everyone else time before Captain America kicks off Summer in May would be helpful.

Thanks for all your hard work!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 8wombi7 said:

i don´t know if its possible or too much work but i remember back then there was a personal history where you could see all your weekly scores and rankings. i liked having that kind of summary.

So basically what we seen on the Weekly Scores but only yours for all games played?

Should be doable... I'll look into it.

15 hours ago, 8wombi7 said:

i don´t know if its possible or too much work but i remember back then there was a personal history where you could see all your weekly scores and rankings. i liked having that kind of summary.

Added.  It's on the weekly scores page... the 4th tab

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JMorphin said:

Is it possible to have access to some kind of scoring calculator to project our score before the final results?

It isn't particularly complicated scoring so you can do it yourself, or you can use this scoring calculator I made for myself: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1F-ePtMPLGuoFDN8Q70UTvrzSeROsg2gPog8xZeDSc6w/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 1