kayumanggi

LIFE | 03.24.17 | Sony | current gross ● 29.94 M

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I don't get why some people didn't like the ending.

I read the spoilers and I don't get it either.

Doesn't seem like a particularly egregious twist. I actually think it makes the film even more intense and heartbreaking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, filmlover said:
  Hide contents

Jake Gyllenhaal and Rebecca Ferguson are the last survivors on the spaceship and hatch a plan to ensure the alien doesn't reach Earth. Ferguson is to take the lifepod that will take her back to Earth and Gyllenhaal is to sacrifice himself heroically and lure the alien into the other pod and drift off into space. The plan works, and the pods separate. After a few Gravity-esque shots of Ferguson's pod heading straight toward the Earth atmosphere, it lands in the water near a pair of fisherman in a boat. The fisherman come over and go to the pod...which is revealed to contain Gyllenhaal and the alien which is consuming him. When then see Ferguson screaming her head off as her pod drifts away into space, taking her to a lonely, painful death. The fisherman open the pod doors despite Gyllenhaal yelling at them not to. The last shot is from above the ocean, revealing other boats coming along to help the "rescue" as ominous music plays. The film ends.

hahahaha

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

One of the worst and most jarring parts of the ending is how

Hide contents

Spirit in the Sky plays over the credits

Yeah, it was quite jarring. 

I just watched 2 of the trailers again and realised I probably hadn't seen them in their entirety. 

I just saw this today and really enjoyed it.  

Yes I would have figured out the "twist" without help, but sadly, it was made way more obvious with all the talk in all the threads about it.  Luckily it didn't ruin the film for me since I did see it coming anyway.

Still a really good film and it will probably catch an audience on Netflix or however people watch movies after the theater nowadays :P 

• Like 1

Life, the original sci-fi thriller from Columbia Pictures and Skydance, debuted this weekend in 56 markets on $16.1m. Russia was the top market on $3.1m for second place. The film expands in the coming weeks to South Korea on April 5 and Spain on April 7.

This is from Screen Daily. 

I think in terms of bigger markets it still has France, South Korea, Spain, Brazil, Japan and China. 

It pretty much flopped in all the other big markets like the UK, Mexico and Germany. 

• Like 1

Saw this just now, a 9/10 for me.

It's depressing and disheartening that LIFE will be yet another brilliant film that has toxic word of mouth and thus tanks at the box office after the OW simply because...

Spoiler

...the ending isn't sunshine and rainbows and/or typical.

General audiences really, really need to expand their horizons. Film is an art form, not just cheap entertainment meant to make them feel happy.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PDC1987 said:

It's depressing and disheartening that LIFE will be yet another brilliant film that has toxic word of mouth and thus tanks at the box office after the OW simply because...

Hide contents

General audiences really, really need to expand their horizons. Film is an art form, not just cheap entertainment meant to make them feel happy.

I'm actually baffled at how bad its doing box office wise. I don't get it. Its not like its an awful film or anything. I know not everyone has the same tastes as I do but from the people on this board and the few people I know who have seen it they all liked it or loved it. 

I really do believe this film will become a cult classic of sorts. Its just a shame that most folks will label it as a flop because of its box office run. 

I mentioned this before but the one good thing it has for it is its not super expensive so it can actually still become profitable if it gets good legs and has a good run over seas. 

*On a side note......I have actually been surprised at how many people I know who didn't even know this film existed until last week when Ryan and Jake started doing their interviews. 

• Like 1

In retrospect, expecting this to be a big hit was probably too much. It's a slasher set in space, nothing really "epic" about it. Sony was wise to keep the budget a medium level (the visuals are better than a number of movies with budgets more than twice the size anyway, reinforcing the notion that less is more).

Just now, filmlover said:

In retrospect, expecting this to be a big hit was probably too much. It's a slasher set in space, nothing really "epic" about it. Sony was wise to keep the budget a medium level (the visuals are better than a number of movies with budgets more than twice the size anyway, reinforcing the notion that less is more).

I agree. Our expectations got the best of us....well the best of me. I think this can crawl its way to $130M-140M take WW which imo would be good enough to NOT call it a failure. 

13 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Not a surprise the movie isn´t a hit, half the people who saw the trialer was probably thinking was the new Alien movie. I´m going to see it in two hours.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PDC1987 said:

Hide contents

There's nothing artful about the ending. 

• Like 1