kayumanggi

LOGAN LUCKY | 08.18.17 | trailer on page 2

Interesting distribution stuff from the EW piece

So this is your critique of studio distribution and an attempt to simplify it.

My feeling is that it’s gotten way too expensive to release a film wide, and the way that the economic structure of a studio is set up, if you’ve what we’ve done on this movie — which is everybody’s worked for scale — you’re too far away from your money. That’s why there is no middle man. There is no one talking a cut. The money is coming directly back to the creative pool.

This sounds like a much larger version of what Shane Carruth did on Upstream Color, which he released entirely by himself.
If it works, it’s a lane for people like myself to drive in. We formed Fingerprint Releasing to do this and to be able to export this to other filmmakers. So if someone like Alejandro Iñárritu, Alexander Payne, or Sofia Coppola wants to use this model that we’ve set up, it’s sitting there ready to be used.

Is there any kind of short explanation for what the plan is?
There’s no one component that hasn’t been done before, but I think it’s a combination of components. There have been advancements in technology that make it a lot easier to get a movie out in 3,000 screens than it was even two years ago. The economic model is pretty simple. You sell the foreign to cover the cost of the [film] negative. We sell the non-theatrical rights to cover the cost of the [prints and advertising], and that’s it. It’s really simple. People have done this before. The distribution part is only a little different because we control it in a way that you normally don’t get to control distribution.

Question, how long will distributors being paying for "prints" in a digital model?  I heard there was still costs attached to pay back for the digital upgrade in theaters - when does that end?

• Like 1

I know May's been shit but this summer actually looks pretty good to me, even the superhero movies look fun. And then you got smaller stuff that won't perform at the BO but should be worth a watch like this and Dunkirk

• Like 6