TalismanRing

Meet "Jane" - She's Hot

Ross Putman

@femscriptintros

Producer. These are intros for female leads in actual scripts I read. Names changed to JANE, otherwise verbatim. Update as I go. Apologies if I quote your work.

• Like 3

Of course, apart from the blatant sexism and objectification of the characters, it's plain poor writing. It's telling instead of showing. We should figure out these women are "beautiful" or "adorable" through describing their physical features and actions, not because the writer says they are.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Of course, apart from the blatant sexism and objectification of the characters, it's plain poor writing. It's telling instead of showing. We should figure out these women are "beautiful" or "adorable" through describing their physical features and actions, not because the writer says they are.

Seriously you are clutching at straws now, I was expending to read far worse than this. Its just a typical guy writing these scripts, its hardly 'depressing' or 'disgusting' like you people are making out. You guys are reading way too much into this.

Basically to stop this you really want more women writers out there.

I don't find this particularly shocking. +100 000 scripts are written each year, 99% of which will never result in an actual movie and 99% of the writers will never become professional writers, so it is not surprising to find this type of language in at least some of them. You'll probably find similar type of ridiculous descriptions for other groups as well, like Asians, Arabs or blacks.

• Like 1

Putman says he's doing this not because it's amusing but because it's systemic, that it's what he's seen time and time again in the over 4,000 - 5,000 scripts he's read.

http://mashable.com/2016/02/10/female-script-introductions-twitter/#7IDK6aIxZqqh

"Women are first and foremost described as "beautiful," "attractive," or—my personal blow-my-brains-out-favorite, "stunning." They're always "stunning" in a certain dress or "stunning" despite being covered in dirt because they're a paleontologist—or whatever," he wrote in an email to Mashable. After reading many scripts (and maybe complaining a little on Facebook) he decided to keep track of them via Twitter.

"I plan on posting every one that I read, and there are plenty that aren't offensive, but honestly, most of them have some element—subtle or overt—that plays into latent objectification," he wrote.

Putman also clarified that using the name "Jane" in the tweets wasn't only to protect the writer's anonymity. "I didn't want anyone to be able to pinpoint a specific script or screenwriter largely because the point here is that it's a systemic problem, not an individual one; my goal isn't to shame individual screenwriters about existing work," he wrote, adding "Changing the names to JANE for me...demonstrates how female characters are often thought about in the same, simplistic and often degrading way. Giving them all the same name, I hope, emphasizes that."

Putman hopes that these tweets encourage all writers in the industry — both male and female — to think differently about how they're approaching their female characters from the very beginning of their scripts. He wrote, "it's something that absolutely needs to be talked about."

• Like 6

5 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Seriously you are clutching at straws now, I was expending to read far worse than this. Its just a typical guy writing these

Uh, yeah. That's the problem

• Like 1

Devils advocate: some of those could easily be written by women. Women talk like that too. For instance, how do we know Jane is not Rebel Wilson's character in How to be Single? Or Rebel Wilson's character in anything? How do we know Ross Putman isn't Rebel Wilson?

Well now I know why Megan Fox and Jessica Alba get so many roles :P 

Out of interest, are there many examples of how lead actors are introduced to scripts in their opening 2-3 lines?

My assumption would be action film scripts maybe talk about rugged good looks, but dramas possibly delve into personality more (Or is this just actually an issue with bad scriptwriting regardless of gender?).

At least I now have a formula for the opening scene of my new screenplay, How about:

Her double D tits spilling out of her mega low cut sexy black minidress, Jane is sobbing profusely as she stares at the Baywatch actress-like figure of her dead sister lying voluptuously, neigh suggestively in the coffin beneath her...

I smell a $150M opening week...

• Like 1

Homework assignment #1: dig up some scripts written by women and see how they write their character descriptions. 

(They're far less interested in describing the physical hotness of the characters.)

It's also worth seeing what pro screenwriters are tweeting about this. Most are a bit rueful that they've been lousy at this at some point or another, and there's some good discussion about what these character descriptions are actually used for. 

• Like 3