Kalo

Best Actor predictions-2016

I know this is really early, but I just saw "Risen" last week, and was shocked by how good Joseph Fiennes was in it. now given that fact that it's a February release and a film the academy likes to ignore and that fact that there is still A lot of movies to be released, he probably won't get a nom. but I thought it's worth talking about, especially for a film opening so early in the year.

other strong possibilities so far.

Michael Fassbender - The Light Between Oceans, just from the trailer you could tell he was giving his all. 

Adam Driver or Andrew Garfield - Silence, forgive me if I'm wrong, Liam Neeson is playing a supporting role in the film I believe? and I think Andrew is the lead, and considering it's a Scorsese Film and that I think it's just a matter of time before either actor gets a nomination I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were for Silence.

Birth of Nation is getting a lot of buzz too, I don't know much of anything about Nate Parker though

Casey Affleck -  Manchester by the Sea lots of positive buzz. Casey is a very underrated actor imo

Tom Hanks - Sully.

Thats pretty much all I can think of at the moment. thoughts?

Edited by Kalo

Casey Affleck - Manchester By The Sea

Christian Bale/Oscar Isaac - The Promise

Andrew Garfield - Silence

Michael Keaton - The Founder

Nate Parker - The Birth of a Nation

some alternates

Warren Beatty - untitled Howard Hughes

Joel Edgerton - Loving

Ryan Gosling - La La Land

Michael Fassbender - The Light Between Oceans

David Oyelowo - A United Kingdom

Brad Pitt - War Machine

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

Casey Affleck, Manchester By The Sea

Joel Edgerton, Loving

Michael Fassbender, Light Between Oceans

Andrew Garfield, Silence

Nate Parker, Birth of a Nation

but that all looks a bit too young there needs to be at least one oldie in there.

Yes we need at least one old bloke!

Really I think Affleck is the oldest one listed on yours! (I have to check)

Edit: Just checked, Edgerton edges out Casey Affleck by being 14 months older at the ripe old age of 41! Yes such a old bloke! (if you are 13 years old that is :P)

16 minutes ago, Kalo said:

Well the 2015 awards should have ran about 25 years younger so we'll see. lets hope there is no Treblay level snubage this year (but that's probably is too much to ask for)

This year's nominees aren't really young

Cranston: 59

Damon: 45

Leo: 41

Fassbender: 38

Redmayne: 34

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This year's nominees aren't really young

Cranston: 59

Damon: 45

Leo: 41

Fassbender: 38

Redmayne: 34

that's not what I was saying at all. I'm saying Jacob Tremblay gave one of the best-if not the best actor performance of the year and didn't even get nominated. thus should have Been. Eddie Redmayne (youngest) 34 - Jacob Tremblay's age 9 = 25. 

Edited by Kalo

On 2/26/2016 at 11:10 PM, Impact said:

Deadpool for the win ;)

I think Ryan Reynolds will have a real shot at Best Actor in a Comedy at the next Golden Globes for Deadpool.

Anyways, my picks for the Oscars thus far:

Casey Affleck (Manchester by the Sea)

Tom Thanks (Sully)

Michael Keaton (The Founder)

David Oyelowo (A United Kingdom)

Michael Fassbender (Light Between Oceans)

On February 26, 2016 at 10:28 PM, Kalo said:

that's not what I was saying at all. I'm saying Jacob Tremblay gave one of the best-if not the best actor performance of the year and didn't even get nominated. thus should have Been. Eddie Redmayne (youngest) 34 - Jacob Tremblay's age 9 = 25. 

The director's nomination was probably their way of recognizing the difficulty it likely was getting that kind of performance out of a very small child. But the actor categories have always been much more difficult for those under 30 to get nominated in compared to the actress side, unless your movie is a top 5 Best Picture contender (Brokeback Mountain, The Social Network).

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The director's nomination was probably their way of recognizing the difficulty it likely was getting that kind of performance out of a very small child. But the actor categories have always been much more difficult for those under 30 to get nominated in compared to the actress side, unless your movie is a top 5 Best Picture contender (Brokeback Mountain, The Social Network).

Exactly why are younger woman so much more likely to be nominated then younger men? one of the many problems with the oscars. 

1 minute ago, Kalo said:

Exactly why are younger woman so much more likely to be nominated then younger men? one of the many problems with the oscars. 

Because young women are faced with more challenging roles than young men when it comes to meaty material (like the Brie Larson role in Room). As much as people like to say that Hollywood is unfair to women (a stance that I won't disagree with), they're also kinda limited in terms of rich material for younger men too: the "meaty" roles for that age group are limited to comedies (mostly raunchy college/high school-set ones) and action/blockbuster films, and the rest for the most part is simply being there in a supporting role as either the son to an established star or some other part of the ensemble (ex: in the past year, Sebastian Stan was Meryl Streep's son in Ricki and the Flash and was part of The Martian's ensemble).

But it's mostly because females mature 10 times faster than males do. True story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Because young women are faced with more challenging roles than young men when it comes to meaty material (like the Brie Larson role in Room). As much as people like to say that Hollywood is unfair to women (a stance that I won't disagree with), they're also kinda limited in terms of rich material for younger men too: the "meaty" roles for that age group are limited to comedies (mostly raunchy college/high school-set ones) and action/blockbuster films, and the rest for the most part is simply being there in a supporting role as either the son to an established star or some other part of the ensemble (ex: in the past year, Sebastian Stan was Meryl Streep's son in Ricki and the Flash and was part of The Martian's ensemble).

But it's mostly because females mature 10 times faster than males do. True story.

I can't argue with that, although I'm not sure I would say 10 times faster haha. you could also argue that older woman have it harder than younger woman too. it's all quite unbalanced. 

I have pointed this out before-but looking at the 10 youngest for actor and actress winners you will see a huge difference in age.

Just consider this:
Youngest lead actor win: Adrian Brody at 29 years, 343 days.

10th youngest lead actress win: Vivian Leigh at 26 years, 116 days.

To put it more in perspective:
Reece Witherspoon is the 31st youngest winner for lead actress, at the time of her win, she was 3 days younger then Brody was at the time of his!

Neel Sethi did one of the best Mowgli interpretations ever in the Jungle Book. I think he might be in the running for a nomination. Serious.

Neel Sethi was basically acting by himself in the movie, but not only did he be himself and allow his personality to be displayed, but he also demonstrates very good emotional acting. It's not a normal suggestion by any means, but I think he deserves it.

Edited by slambros
Added a word