Kalo

Best Actor predictions-2016

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

What are you talking about with Affleck?

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2010/07/casey-affleck-sued-2-million-sexual-harassment/

They settled out of court though, so it would only cost him a win instead of the nomination if it blew up. This is nowhere nearly as bad as the Nate Parker scandal.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

On 9/5/2016 at 2:03 PM, filmlover said:

The one I'm really stumped on is the Billy Lynn guy making his movie debut. The movie is really gonna have to become a frontrunner for him to have a chance given how tricky it is for under 30 actors to get into this category. Here are all the Best Picture nominees since 2000 that have had under 30 leads:

The 3 Lord of the Rings movies (Elijah Wood)

Gangs of New York (Leonardo DiCaprio)

The Pianist (Adrien Brody)

Seabiscuit (Tobey Maguire)

Brokeback Mountain (Heath Ledger along with the fraudulently-put-in-Supporting Jake Gyllenhaal)

Atonement (James McAvoy)

Slumdog Millionaire (Dev Patel, who was fraudulently campaigned in Supporting)

The Social Network (Jesse Eisenberg)

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (Thomas Horn)

Hugo (Asa Butterfield)

The Tree of Life (Hunter McCracken)

War Horse (Jeremy Irvine)

Life of Pi (Suraj Sharma)

Boyhood (Ellar Coltrane)

Whiplash (Miles Teller)

Room (Jacob Tremblay, who was also fraudulently campaigned in Supporting)

Brody (who won), Ledger (plus Gyllenhaal), and Eisenberg are the only ones out of that group to receive nominations, and all of them were in movies that were close to winning BP, so he definitely has his work cut out for him. Even though to be fair, you can easily explain why the people who didn't get nominated didn't make it: some (Butterfield, Horn, McCracken, Tremblay (SAG nomination aside), and due to the way Boyhood was made, Coltrane) were never really in the conversation due to their ages, while the others (Wood, Leo, Maguire, McAvoy, Patel, Irvine, Sharma, Teller) didn't have strong enough reviews to take out much more seasoned contenders.

That would be so awesome if a complete unknown under 30 was even nominated. I want to give the kid an Oscar just from watching the trailer. although history would point against it, I really think he has a shot, probably not a win though, even if it is the best performance, Denzel looks like a strong contender. but what about Trevante Rhodes from Moonlight? another strong young lead from the looks of it. of course depending on how much time the film spends on the younger actors, they could probably try and snag him in supporting.

32 minutes ago, Kalo said:

That would be so awesome if a complete unknown under 30 was even nominated. I want to give the kid an Oscar just from watching the trailer. although history would point against it, I really think he has a shot, probably not a win though, even if it is the best performance, Denzel looks like a strong contender. but what about Trevante Rhodes from Moonlight? another strong young lead from the looks of it. of course depending on how much time the film spends on the younger actors, they could probably try and snag him in supporting.

The Billy Lynn is gonna really need the movie to pull through and for other contenders that haven't been seen yet to fail for him to breakthrough. The Moonlight youngster isn't happening since the movie is too small.

On 06/10/2016 at 8:53 PM, ban1o said:

If Fences is good (like over 80% on RT) I don't really see how Denzel doesn't run away with this award. Like who else will win? Ben Affleck's little brother? 

I think Casey is the frontrunner unless his past scandal blows up I think. I think Denzel has won too many times to win again without a DDL in Lincoln moment. 

By the time of the ceremony, it will have been 15 years since Denzel's second win, which is a longer period than he waited between his current wins. I could also see a narrative developing around the possibility of an actor of color joining the tie for most male acting wins, which could prove too hard for voters to resist if he kills it in the film itself.

22 hours ago, riczhang said:

I think Casey is the frontrunner unless his past scandal blows up I think. I think Denzel has won too many times to win again without a DDL in Lincoln moment. 

Does one need a DDL in Lincoln moment to win a third when you're as loved and consistently reliable and completely devoid of controversy or scandal as Denzel is, though? Besides, as has already been pointed out, his wins are widely spread out.

• Like 1

Many things still to happen in this category...

Hanks missed the nomination with great performances in two big Oscar contenders, so Sully is not a sure bet.

Casey Affleck is the most probable nominated Oscar at this moment. But, does he even has a chance at a win?

Denzel Wahington in Fences? Still unseen. Diversity and lack of strong competition will help him to be nommed, but a third win? Really doubtful.

Gosling is in a BP frontrunner, but male actors in romantic musicals don't have a great trajectory with Oscars.

Andrew Garfield is a strong lead in two movies. While a nom for HR is unprobable, he might be in for Silence. But still unseen.

Joel Edgerton could be in if the Academy supports Loving. And I think they will.

Besides them, there is not much more. Gyllenhall for Nocturnal Animals. Will Smith for Collateral beauty. Ben Affleck for Live by Night. McConaughey for Gold. Pine for Hell or High Water.

Apparently The Founder is actually pretty good and Keaton is great in it. Oscar likes the guy enough he might sneak into the 4/5 spot, if Weinstein doesn't botch the release (hint: they are). I'd say Denzel, Affleck, and Gosling seem pretty locked and loaded, and Hanks seems safe at this point too. I'd say Edgerton, Garfield, and Keaton are battling for that last spot. Will need to see what gets traction once award season starts. I'd LOVE for Pine to sneak in- he's better than Bridges (who I think wins Supporting Actor, actually) and an absolute revelation. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Apparently The Founder is actually pretty good and Keaton is great in it. Oscar likes the guy enough he might sneak into the 4/5 spot, if Weinstein doesn't botch the release (hint: they are). I'd say Denzel, Affleck, and Gosling seem pretty locked and loaded, and Hanks seems safe at this point too. I'd say Edgerton, Garfield, and Keaton are battling for that last spot. Will need to see what gets traction once award season starts. I'd LOVE for Pine to sneak in- he's better than Bridges (who I think wins Supporting Actor, actually) and an absolute revelation. 

Keaton's biggest hurdle is Weinstein, who are clearly on the verge of bankruptcy.

I'm thinking 

1. Denzel Washington (Fences)
  2. Ryan Gosling (La La Land)
  3. Casey Affleck (Manchester by the Sea)
  4. Andrew Garfield (Silence) 
  5. Tom Hanks (Sully)

The field is pretty weak this year beyond the top 3, so really #4 and #5 could go to a variety of well-received lead performances. I think Gosling has the edge over Affleck since La La Land is likely to win multiple Oscars while Manchester by the Sea may only get Original Screenplay. Plus,  Denzel is a beloved, non-controversial veteran giving a powerhouse performance, and the Academy won't turn down the opportunity to have Denzel tie for most acting Oscars for a man.