department store basement

[Poll] Which films from 2015 will be well remembered in 10 years?

Which films from 2015 will be well remembered in 10 years?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which films from 2015 will be well remembered in 10 years?

• Ant-Man
    • Avengers: Age of Ultron
    • The Big Short
    • Bridge of Spies
    • Creed
    • Ex Machina
    • Fifty Shades of Grey
    • Furious 7
    • The Hateful Eight
    • Inside Out
    • Jurassic World
    • Kingsman: The Secret Service
    • Mad Max: Fury Road
    • The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
    • The Martian
    • Minions
    • Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
    • The Revenant
    • Room
    • San Andreas
    • Sicario
    • Southpaw
    • Spectre
    • Spotlight
    • Spy
    • Star Wars: The Force Awakens
    • Straight Outta Compton
    • Terminator Genisys
    • Tomorrowland
    • Other (list your pick in the comments)

It's that time again. Which films from 2015 do you think will be well remembered by the GP and film fans in 10 years? Remember, this isn't about your opinion.

If you wanted to know how I chose the films in this poll:

Spoiler

To make this list I looked at a number of major 2015 releases and gave each film considered a percentage value based on how well I think the film will be remembered due to its genre, box office, and acclaim (though there are sometimes other factors). I used patterns in the most remembered films from 2000 to 2005 to come to my conclusions. Every film that got above 20% (except for three listed below) are included in this poll. The others considered are as follows, in order of descending percentage value.

20%+

Chappie

Everest

Focus

15-20%

Black Mass

Cinderella

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2

Insurgent

The Intern

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials

10-15%

The Age of Adaline

Crimson Peak

The Gift

Home

Pitch Perfect 2

Run All Night

Ted 2

Trainwreck

5-10%

The Danish Girl

Entourage

Get Hard

Project Almanac

Steve Jobs

Taken 3

Vacation

The Walk

<5% (none of these have any chance but they were all on my original list so I'll list them anyway)

American Ultra

Beasts of No Nation

Brooklyn

Burnt

Carol

Dope

The DUFF

The Good Dinosaur

Goosebumps

Hotel Transylvania 2

In the Heart of the Sea

It Follows

Joy

The Last Witch Hunter

Legend

The Longest Ride

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Mr. Holmes

No Escape

Paddington

Paper Towns
Self/Less

Trumbo

The Visit

The Wedding Ringer

Woman in Gold

Edited by department store basement

The Force Awakens, Inside Out, Mad Max, The Martian, and Spotlight (which is honestly one of the worthiest Best Picture winners of the last several years).

Depending on where Queen Brie goes from here, Room will also go down as an especially important (if not the most important) point in her career.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, department store basement said:

YA is dying, superheroes aren't.

(As for Genisys it came 28th in percentage; Mockingjay 2 came 34th)

So... people are likelier to remember a poorly-received box office bomb from a franchise that has been deader than disco for years, but not the financially-successful (albeit not as enormous as expected) concluding chapter in a series that generated a solid amount of audience goodwill? I'm sorry, but the logic just doesn't make a lick of sense.

• Like 2

2015 will forever be remembered as the year that star wars came back, a film doesn't have that kind of hyped. gross nearly a BILLION DOLLARS! domestically and just get forgotten. 

Mad Max will probably be remember for a long time and make any best action films of all time lists for years to come.

Inside Out will be remembered like Toy Story and Finding Nemo are. those are the three that will probably be remembered most. Ex Machina, Creed and The Martian will probably be remembered too. JW will be remembered for it's insane gross. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Webslinger said:

So... people are likelier to remember a poorly-received box office bomb from a franchise that has been deader than disco for years, but not the financially-successful (albeit not as enormous as expected) concluding chapter in a series that generated a solid amount of audience goodwill? I'm sorry, but the logic just doesn't make a lick of sense.

He has a point, MJP2 may not end up being in the top 5 most remembered films of 2015. but the impact that HG has had on cinema the last 4 years is insane. and the conclusion to that sega will surely be remembered better than the fifth Terminator bomb, or Southpaw, San Andreas.. TOMORROWLAND! :kitschjob:

• Like 1

To @Webslingerand @Kalo:

Spoiler

I based my rankings for this poll on patterns from previous years. Tomorrowland (which came dead last in my percentage rankings among the 29 in the poll) was included because ambitious sci-fi movies are often well-remembered even if they flop (unless they're terrible) - see A.I., Equilibrium, The Butterfly Effect, The Island, and Serenity.

While Rise of the Machines and Salvation are definitely better remembered within the Terminator fandom than outside, I'd put them in the top fifteen most remembered films of their respective years. I highly doubt Genisys will be remembered that well due to its domestic underperformance but there's still a decent chance it'll be well-remembered.

Mockingjay 2 on the other hand is a bit more complicated. While the first two Hunger Games movies are among the most remembered of their respective years, I wouldn't even put Mockingjay 1 in the top twenty for 2014 (although it's only been a year). That movie really split the fandom (the fact that it was based off the most divisive book in the series didn't really help matters). Also, YA franchises suddenly died as a trend last year. I can't see Mockingjay 2 being that well remembered.

Edited by department store basement

1 hour ago, The Panda said:

Realistically?

Star Wars

Inside Out

Jurassic World

Spotlight (simply for being a BP winner)

and maybe Mad Max

Othere on the list will still be remembered but likely not as well as the ones above

I actually agree with you, although I'd put The Martian, The Revenant, and maybe Age of Ultron and Furious 7 (since they made so much money) up with the ones you mentioned.

28 minutes ago, department store basement said:

I actually agree with you, although I'd put The Martian, The Revenant, and maybe Age of Ultron and Furious 7 (since they made so much money) up with the ones you mentioned.

Nobody remember Ultron one year after the release, let alone in 10 years, the only mention to this in future will be: "this was the movie that started the decline of Marvel"

25 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Nobody remember Ultron one year after the release, let alone in 10 years, the only mention to this in future will be: "this was the movie that started the decline of Marvel"

I don't know Marvel had two misses with Iron Man 3 and Thor 2, and then along came The Winter Soldier and GOTG. Civil War's early buzz is extremely positive too. have a feeling it could turn the tide. 

Edited by Kalo

On 6/3/2016 at 1:18 AM, department store basement said:

No way. It's the 7th highest grossing film of all time.

Yeah but in 10 years it will be just one of 30 MCU movies. Most of those movies will be muddled in public memory despite being huge hits and only the best ones will be properly remembered. Ultron made WW what GOTG and Winter Soldier made combined, but in 10 years I bet both of these two will be more remembered.

• Like 3