CaptainJackSparrow

Skull Island | 258 mil OS - 392 mil WW

On 21/02/2017 at 8:24 AM, John Marston said:

200 million in China? :rofl:

It's hardly unprecedented for films to that don't have a history of big numbers in china to explode like this. XXX came out of nowhere and is already over 130M and still making a lot. It's hard to tell how much Skull island will make before at least pre-sales start, but I don't think that thinking it will make 200M is worthy of mockery.

Edited by Tower
  • Like 2

The only reason why I'm hesitant to jump on board even the $100m+ club for China is because Peter Jackson's King Kong was released almost 12 years ago. That was a long time ago, and things are different.

But like others have said, the market's been strong, so who knows? Still, I'm very skeptical of the $200 million prediction.

On 21/2/2017 at 7:13 PM, Tower said:

It's hardly unprecedented for films to that don't have a history of big numbers in china to explode like this. XXX came out of nowhere and m\and is already over 130M and still making a lot. It's hard to tell how much Skull island will make before at least pre-sales start, but I don't think that thinking it will make 200M is worthy of mockery.

This. I do not know if it can be able to make tons of money in China, but it is undeniable that this is the kind of film that has a chance to breakout. IMO, over $100m is quite likely.

• Like 1

In Germany the first trend (insidekino.de) says Kong:Skull Island will have around 325k admissions this weekend which would be a little bit over the expectations.
And a lot over the expectations I had looking at its reservation numbers in several theaters yesterday.
But Kong is definitely a film for walk-ups and not so much reservations.
Normally this source (insidekino.de) is very reliable but the first trend is often a little bit better than the second.

Yesterday Kong had 36k admissions (actuals) here in Germany, was #1 and earned around 380k Euro/400k US$ (what a terrible exchange rate).
Logan stayed strong with 28k admissions.

And according to cbo-boxoffice.com Kong stayed #1 yesterday in Paris-Periph./France.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 3

http://deadline.com/2017/03/kong-skull-island-opening-tom-hiddleston-international-box-office-1202040085/

‘Kong: Skull Island’ Rises To $27.5M After Three Days At International Box Office

UPDATE, SATURDAY: With 20 markets added on Friday, Warner Bros/Legendary’s Kong: Skull Island elevated its international box office to $27.5M. That’s factoring in $15.5M yesterday on about 20K offshore screens. All overseas markets (65) are now open, save China and Japan which come later in March. Ahead of the weekend, we had an international opening range of $65M-$85M. Some rivals had even considered a start closer to $100M, although that seemed — and still does — a high-end......

• Like 5

10 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

frankly poor opening in international markets. I believe 2005 Kong opened to 80+ in its 1st weekend in overseas markets without china and japan.

You were saying? It opened to 81m overseas!

• Like 1

On 2017/2/22 at 2:13 AM, Tower said:

It's hardly unprecedented for films to that don't have a history of big numbers in china to explode like this. XXX came out of nowhere and is already over 130M and still making a lot. It's hard to tell how much Skull island will make before at least pre-sales start, but I don't think that thinking it will make 200M is worthy of mockery.

Actually,King Kong once was a hit in China.It's 5th highest film In 2006.It's the 4th foreign film to cross ¥100M,right behind True Lies,Pearl Harbour and Titanic.Few films can hit ¥100M at that time.It's a Big number for China 10 years ago.It's a fast developing market.

Kong's release date is perfect.One week after BatB,most imax screens can keep.One week before Qingming Festival.There will be a holiday benefit on 2nd weekend.$150M now is likely.$200M is not impossible.presale is strong

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 6