Automatically embedding has been temporarily turned off until the Twitter bug has been fixed. This will only affect new posts made. Once the issue has been fixed, automatic embedding will return. It is possible to manually embed content I believe. If you quote a post with an embedded tweet, please delete the tweet.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Water Bottle

The Classic Conversation Thread: The Sequel

69,727 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, 75live said:

i guess they had no one else that needed to promote a big movie so they went with a record instead.  Not that she should have been named one time, let alone 5 times :P 

I wonder if any actress even now has got paid more for a movie than Julia Roberts was paid at her peak. She commanded 20M+ paychecks for each movie in the late-90s/early-2000s. She even got paid 3M for 4 days worth of work on Mothers Day. The only higher figure I can recall is Angelina Jolie getting 30M for Maleficent.

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I wonder if any actress even now has got paid more for a movie than Julia Roberts was paid at her peak. She commanded 20M+ paychecks for each movie in the late-90s/early-2000s. She even got paid 3M for 4 days worth of work on Mothers Day. The only higher figure I can recall is Angelina Jolie getting 30M for Maleficent.

Didnt JLaw get like 28M for Passengers?  lol

i actually think julia roberts is pretty underrated these days. she needs her own Big Little Lies type show or something. killed it in Mirror Mirror a few years back. (underrated flick. America pick the wrong snow white film like how they pick the wrong president. not sure which is worse)

1 person likes this

45 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

When I told my mom about the allegations last night, she was surprised but didn't deny or defend Bill. She tries to stray away from Fox because of the negativity but sticks with it because it's the only conservative network. 

Just suggest that she stop watching cable news and start reading the Wall Street Journal and/or The Economist, stuff like that.

2 people like this

i'm scared every actress of a certain age will eventually be claimed by ryan murphy. endlessly stuck rotating around in his 17 FX anthologies.

1 person likes this

41 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Possible replacments: http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/19/media/replacements-bill-oreilly-fox-news/

Moving The Five to 8 PM is the frontrunner right now. Bolling, Perino, and Gutfeld have been filling in for Bill, so instead of picking one of them to replace him, they can have all of them.

Moving Tucker Carlson up an hour and putting Bret Baier at 9 PM is the second option but looking less likely.

Jesse Watters is being looked at as well.

Fox might go with an outsider.

They should just Rush.  There audience would love it. 

40 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Possible replacments: http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/19/media/replacements-bill-oreilly-fox-news/

Moving The Five to 8 PM is the frontrunner right now. Bolling, Perino, and Gutfeld have been filling in for Bill, so instead of picking one of them to replace him, they can have all of them.

Moving Tucker Carlson up an hour and putting Bret Baier at 9 PM is the second option but looking less likely.

Jesse Watters is being looked at as well.

Fox might go with an outsider.

I do now Perino has the same type of dog my family does.  So stupid reason but there's some sense.

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, grim22 said:

There is no breakdown of who got how much but Sony paid 39.28 million in participation bonus on a movie like Salt, with a net budget above 120 million I imagine she got a 20 million paycheck + 10% gross type of deal and that she got around 30 million of those 40 paid in bonus by the studio, she got a similar bonus on The Tourist (77.6 million went in bonus, most of it split 50/50 with Depp I imagine), it look like Jolie was making around 50 million per movie in her peak. People that peaked and signed contract in the dvd bubbles probably made a lot in general.

For the nice pay day on small shoot, Jennifer Anniston made:

HORRIBLE BOSSES (good but small 8 days shoot role) 
$3.25MM fee ( 8 consec days of PP + 3 free days)
+

bo bonuses:

$250k @ DBO $85MM or WWBO $170MM

v.
Participation: 3% DP @ CB 0%

On the first Horrible boss 8 days of shoot (the copy paste mistake is like that in the sony leaked email, it was probably 250k bonus every 5 million up to 100 million domestic (or 10 WW up to 200).

With how well that movie made, maybe she got the 3% of the movie profit instead of the 1 million bonus.

Edited by Barnack
1 person likes this

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i actually think julia roberts is pretty underrated these days. she needs her own Big Little Lies type show or something. killed it in Mirror Mirror a few years back. (underrated flick. America pick the wrong snow white film like how they pick the wrong president. not sure which is worse)

She was also by far the best thing in August: Osage County. Really good in The Normal Heart too although the her big scene (where she yells at the government officials to fund her research and throws things at them from her wheelchair) made me laugh when it should've been powerful.

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Didnt JLaw get like 28M for Passengers?  lol

Will probably never know but the rumors were 20m + 30% past CB0%, but since sony sold/shared a lot of the movie revenue, maybe they had to renegotiate a little bit.

No one with a big name in Hollywood is paid only a salary, they all have participation type of deal, if a rumor of a deal is a number of million known in advance it is because the deal is not known (they tend to stay private to the public)

Edited by Barnack

oh man i hated the normal heart. i'm sure it played well on the stage and also in the 1980s when it debuted but i don't need to be screamed at about what a big deal AIDS is for two hours. i feel like your audience already knows. and ruffalo is intolerable to me when he's in ham mode. love him otherwise but that film his worst performance.

I don't think I've ever seen a Roberts performance I really liked. Need to see Closer and Charlie Wilson's War and maybe rewatch Erin Brockovich cuz Soderbergh but all the notable stuff beyond that - nope. She was okay in Money Monster recently but eye-rolling in The Secret in Their Eyes.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

Just suggest that she stop watching cable news and start reading the Wall Street Journal and/or The Economist, stuff like that.

Yeah, I'm not conservative, but those two provide pretty rational arguments from the right. I trust them. Not sure what else there is though

Edited by franfar
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Anybody know any good Stage Musicals available to watch at home? 

I fucking loved watching the Miss Saigon blu-ray the other day and kinda wanna see more.

Edited by AJG

I've only seen a couple of Roberts films, but they were old: Erin Brockovich, Charlie Wilson's War, Oceans 11 (and I think 12). She didn't really stand out to me, but it's been awhile since I've seen the first two. 

1 minute ago, franfar said:

Yeah, I'm not conservative, but those two provide pretty rational arguments from the right. I trust them. Not sure what else there is though

Bloomberg leans right too, IMO. Still worth reading for columnists like Megan McArdle. And there's even further-right stuff like The Federalist, but at least they're rational.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

oh man i hated the normal heart. i'm sure it played well on the stage and also in the 1980s when it debuted but i don't need to be screamed at about what a big deal AIDS is for two hours. i feel like your audience already knows. and ruffalo is intolerable to me when he's in ham mode. love him otherwise but that film his worst performance.

I liked it but it definitely makes a case for why some plays don't always completely survive the transition to the filmed format. Or maybe it just needed a more adventurous director than Ryan Murphy to do the job.

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

Anybody know any good Stage Musicals available to watch at home? 

I fucking loved watching the Miss Saigon blu-ray the other day and kinda wanna see more.

The version of Sweeney Todd with Angela Lansbury is pretty good.  I think it's from about 1982 I want to say.

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

I don't think I've ever seen a Roberts performance I really liked. Need to see Closer and Charlie Wilson's War and maybe rewatch Erin Brockovich cuz Soderbergh but all the notable stuff beyond that - nope. She was okay in Money Monster recently but eye-rolling in The Secret in Their Eyes.

she's such a non entity in charlie wilson's war so i wouldn't watch that expecting anything from her but she's the best part of closer. used to like Owen and Portman better because his performance kinda sucks up all the attention in how big it is and her performance gave me a boner when i was a teen but a recent rewatch told me roberts kinda sneakily steals the whole thing.

1 person likes this