Sunshine, Light, and Joy

This is a post that I've been thinking about for awhile. Recently, I opened up the discussion to other members of the staff to get their feelings on the matter, and their opinions generally matched mine, which is this:

Within the last year or so, there's been a steady increase of negative posts in movie threads. We've always had some heated discussions for some movies, but recently things have not only gotten more histrionic in those threads (generally speaking, the CBM ones), but they've started to spread to other franchises and other movies as well. I'm not talking about out-and-out trolling, I'm talking about members feeling they have to consistently shit on a movie (or studio, or star) simply because they aren't interested in the current project or projects. With every piece of news about a movie, it's now a virtual guarantee that there's a flood of people rushing to say they think it sucks, they don't like the current trailer/tv spot/actor/actress/director/concept. And I get it -- we all have movies we don't like, movies which we think are bad ideas, industry people that just don't appeal to us. But there's a fine line between expressing your opinion about this and doing it so often, with such consistency, that the collective emphasis of all of it basically brings down the entire thread and thus the entire forum.

There's no easy answer to this. We don't want to crush freedom of expression here. But at the same time, the spirit of this forum is for people to have fun talking about the movies they love and the box-office runs they love.

To have fun.

And while it may be fun -- in a sense -- to personally vent about a movie, or to vent at people who dare to enjoy something you don't, it doesn't bring fun to our community. In fact, it generally drags down the overall fun for everyone else. We've had people repeatedly mention to us over the last several months or so that in some cases they don't even bother going into some threads -- even for movies they're curious about! -- because they just don't want to deal with the overall mess those threads contain. And frankly, that matches the personal opinion of most of the staff as well.

So this post is both a request and a warning. 

The request: Next time you feel like taking a dump on a movie (or a topic) for the dozenth time, take a moment to consider whether it's really worth it. People probably already have a good idea of what your attitude about the project is. Maybe just put your posting energy into a movie that you enjoy and love or are excited about.

The warning: The staff is going to be taking a closer look at some of these threads and we'll be more active with temp thread-bans if we think it'll help the overall vibe of the forum. I'd rather we don't have to, but it's not going to constrain any of you too much if you aren't allowed to post about a movie you supposedly don't care about anyway.

Remember the words of Bill and Ted: "Be Excellent to Each Other".

They're just movies, guys. It's about having fun.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Water Bottle

The Classic Conversation Thread: The Sequel

75,167 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, THE PHENOMENAL BKB said:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/05/15/petiton-calls-for-abc-boycott-over-last-man-standing-cancellation.html

So a Petition has been generated to boycott ABC for cancelling the sitcom "Last Man Standing" despite having high ratings.. Many feel it's about the injection of Politics in the show's episodes... Now, I've never even seen 1 episode of this show.. Any good??? If anything, NETFLIX will probably pick it up unless another network does...:popcorn:

THe previous seasons are already on Neltflix    The show is okay.  I've seen a few episodes it elicits a chuckle or two but nothing that hasn't been seen before.  And certainly not anything worth saving or having a petition over.

28 minutes ago, AJG said:

God yes. Leak the shit.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi coming to a torrent site near you in July.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

"5 minutes then in 20 minute increments until Disney pays" sounds pretty fucking weak. Either leak it all or don't leak anything.

Not that bad of a plan, the second the leak it all they cannot get one dollar for it, it is over (what would be the point, sound like a terrible strategy).

It show they have it and the ability to leak without being caught, better take that chance to make it sure you get nothing.

Aren't these hackers the same people as the Orange is the New Black folks from a few weeks back?

So just set my email, phone and IM at work for the length of time that I'm going to be out.  It felt really weird to say I'm going to be out that long.

47 minutes ago, THE PHENOMENAL BKB said:

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/05/15/mars-voyage-will-include-one-year-layover-in-moon-orbit.html

So in the Future, if you want to go to Mars, you'll have a 1 Year layover in the Moon's Orbit until heading for the Red Planet.. I wonder how many people will actually be down with something like this, especially since it's a 1 way trip??? :thinking:

It makes sense to a degree to use a moon base as the staging area for a Mars mission, since instead of launching the large Mars craft from Earth you can get it assembled by the Moon and have to use less fuel for the launch.

1 person likes this

So I hurt a associate's feelings at work because their manager (my direct report) came over to talk to me. 

I just stated a fact but I guess I could have been nicer about it and not be so flippant. Bah. 

I guess it bothers me because I used to be in that situation back in the day and I promised myself I wouldnt do shit like that to my folks. 

2 people like this

32 minutes ago, DAR said:

THe previous seasons are already on Neltflix    The show is okay.  I've seen a few episodes it elicits a chuckle or two but nothing that hasn't been seen before.  And certainly not anything worth saving or having a petition over.

Is your surgery over?

The prehistoric documentary genre peaked way too early. Makes me sad that no one really takes a serious crack at it these days.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

The prehistoric documentary genre peaked way too early. Makes me sad that no one really takes a serious crack at it these days.

it's because no one went to see...

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's because no one went to see...

That's because it bastardized the good name of the Walking With franchise. Which is also sad.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

MY. GOD. this week Leftovers was just out of this world good. We're not worthy.

giphy.gif

Edited by Goffe
1 person likes this

I must say I can't wait for the new Lorde album. Green Light is awesome but Liability... my god Liability is amazing  

Man...they make this Irish lamb stew...it's heaven...

I need to somehow take it back to Boston when the time comes...

Just got into a discussion with my mom about my hairline @MrPink @aabattery Image result for mrpink hairline site:boxofficetheory.com

5 people like this

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Just got into a discussion with my mom about my hairline @MrPink @aabattery Image result for mrpink hairline site:boxofficetheory.com

XQYfrQ3.png

Gonna have to rename the Pink Collection to the WrathOfPink Collection.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Is your surgery over?

It's tomorrow