Sunshine, Light, and Joy

This is a post that I've been thinking about for awhile. Recently, I opened up the discussion to other members of the staff to get their feelings on the matter, and their opinions generally matched mine, which is this:

Within the last year or so, there's been a steady increase of negative posts in movie threads. We've always had some heated discussions for some movies, but recently things have not only gotten more histrionic in those threads (generally speaking, the CBM ones), but they've started to spread to other franchises and other movies as well. I'm not talking about out-and-out trolling, I'm talking about members feeling they have to consistently shit on a movie (or studio, or star) simply because they aren't interested in the current project or projects. With every piece of news about a movie, it's now a virtual guarantee that there's a flood of people rushing to say they think it sucks, they don't like the current trailer/tv spot/actor/actress/director/concept. And I get it -- we all have movies we don't like, movies which we think are bad ideas, industry people that just don't appeal to us. But there's a fine line between expressing your opinion about this and doing it so often, with such consistency, that the collective emphasis of all of it basically brings down the entire thread and thus the entire forum.

There's no easy answer to this. We don't want to crush freedom of expression here. But at the same time, the spirit of this forum is for people to have fun talking about the movies they love and the box-office runs they love.

To have fun.

And while it may be fun -- in a sense -- to personally vent about a movie, or to vent at people who dare to enjoy something you don't, it doesn't bring fun to our community. In fact, it generally drags down the overall fun for everyone else. We've had people repeatedly mention to us over the last several months or so that in some cases they don't even bother going into some threads -- even for movies they're curious about! -- because they just don't want to deal with the overall mess those threads contain. And frankly, that matches the personal opinion of most of the staff as well.

So this post is both a request and a warning. 

The request: Next time you feel like taking a dump on a movie (or a topic) for the dozenth time, take a moment to consider whether it's really worth it. People probably already have a good idea of what your attitude about the project is. Maybe just put your posting energy into a movie that you enjoy and love or are excited about.

The warning: The staff is going to be taking a closer look at some of these threads and we'll be more active with temp thread-bans if we think it'll help the overall vibe of the forum. I'd rather we don't have to, but it's not going to constrain any of you too much if you aren't allowed to post about a movie you supposedly don't care about anyway.

Remember the words of Bill and Ted: "Be Excellent to Each Other".

They're just movies, guys. It's about having fun.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Water Bottle

The Classic Conversation Thread: The Sequel

75,167 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, PRESIDENT BKB said:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/03/19/tim-allen-says-being-conservative-in-hollywood-is-like-living-in-1930s-germany.html

Tim Allen responds to ABC and his show "Last Man Standing" being cancelled.. Well, he's not exactly wrong you know?? You do have to be careful with everything you say nowadays.. The real question is: Will Allen be blacklisted or blackballed from his Peers preventing him from getting another sitcom?? :bourne:

Patricia Heaton is a well known Republican conservative and yet The Middle got renewed for a ninth season.

7 people like this

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Patricia Heaton is a well known Republican conservative and yet The Middle got renewed for a ninth season.

Who keeps watching this show? 

Just now, AJG said:

My parents for one haha. 

I catch it every once and a while and it's not too bad. It's a nice show.

36 minutes ago, PRESIDENT BKB said:

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/05/17/americas-favorite-burger-chain-is-no-longer-in-n-out.html

Well, In and Out Burger is, well, out and Five Guy's Burgers is in as the New Burger favorite in the U.S.. Do you all agree??? :thinking:Personally, I prefer "Fuddruckers" over Five Guy's Burgers, though, both are similar especially when it comes to price$$$ 

Fuck In-N-Out. They should expand out of California

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

Me. I love The Middle. Fantastic little show. This season wasnt as funny but I got so many feels.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Robertman2 & Knuckles said:

They have? There's INO in Texas now. They have a certain business model and they have a desire to stay a private company. Their logistics is why the food is apparently so good, and their loyalty to the west helps them keep a strong fan base, like Chick Fil A and the south. You can't just suddenly start throwing locations all over the place. That effects the food and defeats the purpose of the company's mission.

Edited by jandrew

7 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Clint Eastwood is doing just fine as well. 

1 person likes this

There is no war on conservatives in Hollywood. That said, Hollywood is definitely a little too left leaning now, and you can see it with shows, movies, and general attitudes. I'd like to see things slide away from the edge a little bit.

2 minutes ago, jandrew said:

They have? There's INO in Texas now. They have a certain business model and they have a desire to stay a private company. Their logistics is why the food is apparently so good, and their loyalty to the west helps them keep a strong fan base, like Chick Fil A and the south. You can't just suddenly start throwing locations all over the place. That effects the food and defeats the purpose of the company's mission.

Eh, I'm annoyed I can't get it. Same with Chic-Fil-A.

The Middle is solid background entertainment.

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, Robertman2 & Knuckles said:

They have a few locations here :cloud9:

Just now, jandrew said:

There is no war on conservatives in Hollywood. That said, Hollywood is definitely a little too left leaning now, and you can see it with shows, movies, and general attitudes. I'd like to see things slide away from the edge a little bit.

I dont know. I wouldnt go around Hollywood claiming to be conservative (although I am more moderate now) or that I used to be a Republican.

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Clint Eastwood is doing just fine as well. 

That's debatable

clint19n-1-web.jpg

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

I really like the added scenes to the Aliens directors cut.

That scene where Ripley comes across the Alien's layer and finds Dallas and Brett being slowly morphed into eggs was great.  I think it should've been left in but I think people prefer the bug queen idea.

Edit: oh, didn't see you were talking about "Aliens"

Edited by Ozymandias

Just now, Water Bottle said:

I dont know. I wouldnt go around Hollywood claiming to be conservative (although I am more moderate now) or that I used to be a Republican.

I've noticed a general tendency from some liberals to dogpile, and where if you don't agree with X you're a bigot. I'm far from conservative, but I've noticed it

2 people like this

5 minutes ago, franfar said:

They have a few locations here :cloud9:

:depp:

27 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

ABC almost renewed it but when they decided to abandon multi-cam comedies and their Friday night comedy block, they decided it didnt fit their schedule or direction. It wasnt a simple matter of "cost" or "salary" seeing as how it was ABC's number two comedy.

Exactly because he prefers 0.7s and 0.6s (which is what Once and Shield will do) on Friday instead of 1.0-1.3 which was LMS's range. I love how you eat all the shitty spin the network bosses send out.  It was not ABC's number two comedy either. It was the 7th highest rated ABC sitcom. That is very different.

1 person likes this

I'm gonna pay dearly tomorrow with a nice hot blistering sunborn, but I just can't help but sitting out on such a nice day. 😎😍

1 minute ago, Robertman2 & Knuckles said:

:depp:

There are two within a 4-mile radius, and five within a 10-mile radius.

:sparta:

I bet they'll expand more in the near future

Somewhat tangentially related to this forum: http://deadline.com/2017/05/national-cinemedia-prepares-content-driven-noovie-pre-movie-ad-show-replace-firstlook-1202095867/

Get ready to take a last look at FirstLook, the pre-movie ad bundle that National CineMedia provides for more than 1,600 theaters in 187 markets.

Late this year NCM will replace it with the more entertainment-focused program Nooviethe company told advertisers at an upfront presentation today.

The new offering will be a “digital ecosystem delivering entertaining content, purposeful commerce and interactive gaming opportunities,” CEO Andy England said. “Most importantly for NCM and our brand partners, Noovie gives movie audiences a reason to arrive early to discover what’s next.”

That’s important: Many buyers are questioning the effectiveness of cinema ads as theaters increasingly sell assigned seats. That enables ticket buyers to show up at the last minute — after the commercials —  without worrying that they’ll end up sitting too close, too far or at an awkward angle to the screen.

The company hopes to engage audiences with in-theater and digital games. They include a trivia contest, Name That Movie, and a fantasy sports-like box office prediction game called Fantasy Movie League.

The game’s co-creator, Matthew Berry, says that fantasy players “are more brand aware, they’re more brand loyal and they’re stickier than non-players, which is great news for advertisers. The Fantasy Movie League playing audience is also much more gender balanced than fantasy sports, and younger — 60% of our players are 35 or less.”

1 person likes this