kayumanggi

THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS | 507.1 M overseas | 875.5 M worldwide

Deadline

Pets dominated UK/Ireland box office — surely a nice alternative for families overwhelmed by Brexit — with 44% of the market. Pets won the weekend with $14.3M at 592 dates including previews. Excluding the early plays, the 3-day frame was $9M and the 4th biggest original animation opening weekend in the market. Norway took No. 1 as well, with $853K at 108 dates.

• Like 1

UNIVERSAL PICTURES INTERNATIONAL

The Secret Life Of Pets is off to an excellent start with an estimated overseas debut of $15.2m in its two launch territories of the UK and Norway.

Illumination Entertainment and Universal Pictures’ animation scored a terrific preview-boosted $14.3m debut in the UK, with its three-day $9m total marking the fourth biggest animation opening weekend in the territory.

Meanwhile, in Norway, it grossed an excellent $853k from its 108 dates and in both territories, it defeated Independence Day: ResurgenceThe Secret Life Of Petsopens in Hong Kong, Israel, Taiwan and Vietnam next weekend.

• Like 3

Excellent!!!

This isn't even going to come close 

to Minions or DM2 WW however and the marketing budgets for DM2 and Pets have to be close to the 2 largest marketing budgets in cinema history.  I wonder how long they can keep that up if grosses start dropping to the 750 million range.

For example, Minions made over 200 million more WW than DM2, yet DM2 is still Universals most profitable film ever because of marketing budgets.  They aren't going to have to worry about this with Pets, but going forward their out of control marketing budgets are going to be an issue.

Cars is actually fantastic.  I hate that Cars 2 has tainted the original so much.  Cars, like them or not, gave us 2 or the most iconic characters in animation history.

Mater and Lightning McQueen are a part of almost every American boys childhood.

So far:

UK - highest OW for a non Disney/Pix original animated film 

HK - highest OW for a non Disney/Pix original animated film, higher than Despicable Me 2

Norway - higher than Minions on OW, not sure about records

7 hours ago, Olive said:

BO-wise it has already beaten Pixar's best, but quality -wise, it won't come close in a million years.

Cars is a masterpiece comparing to Minions...

True!

6 hours ago, Planodisney said:

Cars is actually fantastic.  I hate that Cars 2 has tainted the original so much.  Cars, like them or not, gave us 2 or the most iconic characters in animation history.

Mater and Lightning McQueen are a part of almost every American boys childhood.

Really?? If that's true Cars 3 could surprise next year.

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Nah, he's exaggerating how big the Cars franchise is. I wouldn't expect Cars 3 to make much more than Cars 2.

That's what I thought. Cars is profitable, helped by toys, but the extent of its success is limited by the fact it's really a boys-driven franchise.

10 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

1st cars is decent though predictable and not great. 2nd one sucked big time. I dont think cars 3 will be received well.

I disagree, Cars 2 was the first and biggest critical disaster for Pixar and they're well aware of that, so it's possible that they put extra effort on the third entry.

Are you kidding me?  In North America Cars is one of the biggest merchandising franchises in existence.  It's MASSIVE!!!!!

Theirs nothing exaggerated by the billions the franchise brings in terms of toy, car and Lego sails.

They could very well, and I hope, know that Cars 3 needs to be high quality.

Disney doesn't build ENTIRE THEME PARK LANDS based on a franchise that isn't big.  CARS, Avatar and Star Wars are the ONLY ones.

Sorry but you were just wrong on that.

3 minutes ago, Planodisney said:

Are you kidding me?  In North America Cars is one of the biggest merchandising franchises in existence.  It's MASSIVE!!!!!

Theirs nothing exaggerated by the billions the franchise brings in terms of toy, car and Lego sails.

They could very well, and I hope, know that Cars 3 needs to be high quality.

Disney doesn't build ENTIRE THEME PARK LANDS based on a franchise that isn't big.  CARS, Avatar and Star Wars are the ONLY ones.

Sorry but you were just wrong on that.

Yes, but it's not that big as a movie franchise.