kayumanggi

THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS | 1010.0 M overseas ● 1236.0 M worldwide

8 hours ago, Mrstickball said:

What a monster.. I think it will match or slightly exceed FF7's overseas gross due to China and other emerging markets. I think it can do 1.4 - 1.5 billion worldwide at this point, and well over 1b overseas.

I can see it being close to F7 high end or falling under $1 billion OS low end. A bit too early to tell what kind of legs it will have, especially with GotG 2 cutting into its run one week earlier than AoU did with F7. The presales to OW ratio in China was incredibly frontloaded (even more so than Warcraft), so it's likely the multiplier in several markets won't be as high as F7.

56 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

I maintain that biggest worldwide openings should be done by combining all debuts regardless of release date. This doesn't mean anything when Star Wars debuted a month later in China.

If SW7 debut in China in 2015,it couldn't cross $124M.SW7 may face similar situation BtaB this year.surrounded by local wide releases.BtaB only did $44M/$85M in China.SW7 could be a bit higher.It's still possible to fall short $100M total.The competition is more stronger than BtaB too

That year local film is very strong in winter.$200M+150M+100M+150M

4 wide and big local films in one month.

Limited showtimes for SW7.may lose most showtimes in 2-3 weeks.

Instead,In January,SW had 3-week imax screens with weak competition.

However,in such weak competition,Rouge one only did $69M this year.SW franchise is not a blockbuster in China after all

Disney made the smart choice

Edited by bangbingchan

Furious 7 opened to $250.5m overseas, then did another $234m over the next 7 days without China, 93% of the opening.

If F8 can do 80% of the opening over the next 7 days that'll put it close to $900m worldwide by next weekend, and over a billion before the end of the third weekend, 19 days max.

Although i hated the film with passion(still do) it's undeniably a monster!Incredible run already.

The question is...will it make more more than BaTB worldwide for the crown of the second highest grossing film of the year-not named Star Wars?

F8 will obviously kill BaTB internationally but give it a bit shorter legs in many territories than F7 and a DOM total well below BaTB...it's a real race.BaTB now sits at 1.04B without Japan and it still has some life left in the countries that it's already playing.If F8 manages 1B OS,fueled by China,...it's still up in the air.

well, that's it for BatB as #2 biggest of the year. Maybe dom but WW is gone. Looks like Fate will be either #1 OS or #2 if TLJ somehow makes more (TFA fell short of F7). We'll see how GOTG and other Marvel movies do but OS seems won by Fate. Nothing will beat it in China which is a huge advantage.