kayumanggi

THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS | 1010.0 M overseas ● 1236.0 M worldwide

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

well, that's it for BatB as #2 biggest of the year. Maybe dom but WW is gone. Looks like Fate will be either #1 OS or #2 if TLJ somehow makes more (TFA fell short of F7). We'll see how GOTG and other Marvel movies do but OS seems won by Fate. Nothing will beat it in China which is a huge advantage.

I still very much think that F8 should do well above 1B OS to secure the 2nd spot WW and considering that it should have shorter legs than F7 around the world i don't think it's a far strech to say that BaTB may very well end up being the one following SW8.Again,BaTB still has what should be a hige run in Japan and still some life in current markets ,which can ultimately take it to a fibal take a bit above 1.2B.

15 hours ago, MattW said:

I don't think so.  I even think it's very slightly more likely to end up under a billion OS than over.

Furious movies plays really well in leggy markets. 1B is locked with this OW. It has 3 markets remaining where it will gross $25m as well. I think even 1.1B OS is likely.

China normally is front loaded. But this movie will play really strong for 3 weeks(until Guardians 2 opens). I think 250m after its OW is likely. remaining markets will gross at least 400m(even 450m). So 1.15B OS and around 220-230m domestic will happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Furious movies plays really well in leggy markets. 1B is locked with this OW. It has 3 markets remaining where it will gross $25m as well. I think even 1.1B OS is likely.

China normally is front loaded. But this movie will play really strong for 3 weeks(until Guardians 2 opens). I think 250m after its OW is likely. remaining markets will gross at least 400m(even 450m). So 1.15B OS and around 220-230m domestic will happen.

$1B OS Locked? Lol, Slow down there. You guys always love "locking" stuff prematurely. I think your estimated $450m OS-C  after this weekend in particular is really exaggerated. The would require a multi near 3 which I don't see happening at all. Remember that this movie had some four and five day openings in territories where FF7 had three and it only has two weeks of open run (since GotG is next week) compared to a full month for FF7. I also don't see $250n more in China. Its OW IM doesn't seen to point towards a particularly leggy run.

$900m is what I consider locked. $1 billion is possible but tough.  $1.1 billion is out of reach (IMO).

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Mrstickball said:

Dont see another $250m in China? It just made anothet $22 to 23 million on Monday.

It will absolutely hit a billion and then some.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

China's a frontloaded market. FF7 did about $30m on its first Monday but "only" added $290m after that so a little less than 10x that Monday. A similar performance for FF8 would mean it has $210m to $220m left  But there's a good chance of it adding even less because:

-FF7 has some quite good legs by Chinese standards while there's little to indicate that FF8 will (in fact, its OW Internal multi seems to point towards the opposite).

-FF7's first Monday was just its second day while FF8's is its fourth (with the benefit of a complete weekend) so FF7 still had a whole lot more unsatiated demand.

Its possible but unlikely IMO.

25 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

I still dont get why the rest of world still highly engaged with this franchise, but US's audience seems to be exhausted 

How exactly is America 'exhausted' of this franchise when it just had the second biggest OW of the franchise? It basically stayed in the same zone as the previous movies, F7 was an abnormally, a movie that went beyond the fanbase, F8 is basically back to having the interest of the fanbase alone, and from what I'm seeing, while the interest didn't increase, it is basically staying flat with this audience.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

How exactly is America 'exhausted' of this franchise when it just had the second biggest OW of the franchise? It basically stayed in the same zone as the previous movies, F7 was an abnormally, a movie that went beyond the fanbase, F8 is basically back to having the interest of the fanbase alone, and from what I'm seeing, while the interest didn't increase, it is basically staying flat with this audience.

but you cannot deny the fact that the overseas market's number are closer to F7 than f6

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

I still dont get why the rest of world still highly engaged with this franchise, but US's audience seems to be exhausted 

Someone explained this in a different thread a year or two ago, I've forgotten who so apologies for no attribution.

When translating a movie to another language and culture generally simpler things cross over better. Big action/adventure movies with straight forward comedy bits, which is basically what F&F is (the MCU as well). Some of Hollywood's better comedies dont do so well outside of the anglosphere because good comedy is more nuanced and doesnt translate as well across that cultural-linguistic barrier.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

but you cannot deny the fact that the overseas market's number are closer to F7 than f6

Well,  as someone said in the Weekend thread, once China is taken out of the picture, OS isn't really that much different from F6 either.

3 minutes ago, Agafin said:

Well,  as someone said in the Weekend thread, once China is taken out of the picture, OS isn't really that much different from F6 either.

refer back to box office mojo, compare the F6, F7, and F8 for opening, you will know they are wrong...this is even wrong when you realised that F6 had much better ER back in 2013

Even with the overestimated domestic number, F8 still holds the global opening weekend record.

8th Update, Final: Universal’s final figures for F. Gary Gray’s The Fate of the Furious$532M worldwide debut, whipping Star Wars: The Force Awakens‘ $529M. Broken out that’s $433.2M abroad, beating Jurassic World‘s $316.7M previous foreign record launch, and $98.8M. Thanks to Fate, Uni speeds past the billion mark at the international B.O., making it the second studio to reach that milestone in 2017. That’s 11 years in a row for Uni grossing $1 billion abroad, and it’s the second fastest in regards to getting there after 2015.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Juby said:

This is huuuge! With same legs as JW, F8 have chance to cross $1.4B overseas!! $1 mld is locked.

Impossible.

Not even $1 billion OS is locked, let alone 1.4.

And F8 would never have the same legs as JW. The FF franchise is not known for its legs. 

Edited by Apollo2xx
  • Like 1