kayumanggi

THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS | 1010.0 M overseas ● 1236.0 M worldwide

49 minutes ago, Finnick said:

FF8 CROSSED $1B OS to BECOME THE SIXTH MOVIE TO ACHEIVE SUCH FEAT, WOW!!

And the first to do it twice, unless James Cameron is considered a brand into itself, than he was the first.

Tried to watch F6 yesterday but was bored out of my mind. Wooden acting (Walker was the only one who actually cared to emote), line deliveries like phone book reading, deathly pacing. Took it off during London chase. Good for everyone who's into it, though. Not my thing.

The Fate Of The Furious crossed $1bn at the international box office on Sunday after adding $3.3m in 41 territories for $1.001bn, which is the third time for Universal and the sixth time in history that a film has reached that milestone. 

The film starring Vin Diesel, Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham stands at $1.223bn worldwide when combined with North America’s current gross of $222.5m.

Source: Screen Daily

• Like 1

We can talk about China all we want, but the fact that the Fast and Furious series crossed 1B OS with back to back entries shows that it is currently the number 1 player overseas, ahead of Star Wars, Wizarding World, Marvel, whatever else. Really crazy to think that a (originally) domestic-centered franchise with such humble beginnings is now the biggest overseas franchise out there.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Gokai Red said:

We can talk about China all we want, but the fact that the Fast and Furious series crossed 1B OS with back to back entries shows that it is currently the number 1 player overseas, ahead of Star Wars, Wizarding World, Marvel, whatever else. Really crazy to think that a (originally) domestic-centered franchise with such humble beginnings is now the biggest overseas franchise out there.

Universal will have the biggest OS franchises for the next few years until Avatar 2 and its sequels come out. I think Jurassic World 2 has a shot at crossing $1 billion OS again if China increases (which I suspect it will since it had terrific legs). I'm not sure if Star Wars will ever cross $1 billion OS again in current ER situation.   

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Universal will have the biggest OS franchises for the next few years until Avatar 2 and its sequels come out. I think Jurassic World 2 has a shot at crossing $1 billion OS again if China increases (which I suspect it will since it had terrific legs). I'm not sure if Star Wars will ever cross $1 billion OS again in current ER situation.   

Yeah, I doubt Star Wars will reach the levels TFA did overseas again, at least for the foreseeable future. In English-speaking countries where the OT has cultural value, TFA was record breaking, putting up performances equal to or even greater than its domestic performance, relatively speaking. All those countries will undoubtedly decrease, just like DOM will, and in countries where Star Wars isn't a part of the culture (Asia and Latin/South America), SW is simply one franchise among many. Right now, my predictions for Episode 8 and 9 are in the 800-900m range.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Gokai Red said:

Well, mostly thanks to China. China is to the FF franchise what the domestic market is to Star Wars. Take out China and just look at all the other international markets, and BatB tops F8 this year, just like TFA (by a lot) and JW topped FF7.

You obviously can't just remove one market from the international take, but not pointing out that this is caused by China to the largest extend, is missing out on facts as well. It has reached a point where China can screw up all comparisons, meaning it could be worthwile to split the numbers into three categories, domestic, China, and the rest.

Frozen grossed 250m from Japan, SW grossed almost 200m in UK. This always happens. Fate grossed 620 minus china. That makes it the biggest OS grosser except Beast. That is despite significant $ appreciation. Fast franchise is uber blockbuster territory in Asia/Latin America and stronger than SH franchise in Germany and heart of Europe. That is super impressive.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Frozen grossed 250m from Japan, SW grossed almost 200m in UK. This always happens. Fate grossed 620 minus china. That makes it the biggest OS grosser except Beast. That is despite significant $ appreciation. Fast franchise is uber blockbuster territory in Asia/Latin America and stronger than SH franchise in Germany and heart of Europe. That is super impressive.

This. Nearly every super OS grosser has, at least, one superb market. It is not easy to make today, with so bad ER, $600m OS without the biggest OS market. I have counted 19 films which have achieved it, and some of them would had not done it with today ER.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KP1025 said:

yeah, I don't think Star Wars is touching 1B OS again in the foreseeable future.

Edited by NCsoft