cannastop

Best Original Song 2016

10 hours ago, Kalo said:

Um. do you know how many Disney animations have oscar wins for best song? 10. that's just wins. 

Yes, I know. 

But the Academy loves recognizing solid live-action musicals, too. La-La Land  also has a much, much, much better chance than Moana at Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, and Best Original Screenplay. 

If it has 8-10 other nominations besides Original Song, its chances of winning are far more likely than Moana with possibly only Animated Feature as its other nomination. 

It'll be a tight race for Best Original Song this year - and Miranda does have the youngest EGOT ever factor going for him, too. 

I'll be the one to point out the pop songs: Can't Stop The Feeling by Justin Timberlake for Trolls, Just Like Fire by P!nk for Alice Through the Looking Glass, and Saw It Coming by G-Eazy and Jeremih for Ghostbusters. None of those individual movies should be receiving Oscars, but we'll see what happens with the songs.

22 hours ago, slambros said:

I'll be the one to point out the pop songs: Can't Stop The Feeling by Justin Timberlake for Trolls, Just Like Fire by P!nk for Alice Through the Looking Glass, and Saw It Coming by G-Eazy and Jeremih for Ghostbusters. None of those individual movies should be receiving Oscars, but we'll see what happens with the songs.

Only one of those that I could see getting a nomination is "Can't Stop the Feeling", since it's basically becoming this year's "Happy", but only if this year has a really weak field.

3 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

At this point, studios are just throwing generic songs at us sung by stars just to try to win awards.

I don't think that quite applies to "Drive It Like You Stole It". Is there really a big star attached to it?

We get stuck in the dirt

And we can't see where we're going

We face all kinds of hurt

And the friction slows up down

But I won't be waiting here

For the world to win me gold

I'll leave your dust behind me

Stranded in the road

Freedom: I'm taking it back

Attitude: I'm giving it back

In a baby blue Cadillac

Just when I was stalling,

I heard an Angel calling.

This is your life:

You can go anwhere.

You gotta grab the wheeel and own it.

You gotta put the pedal down

And drive it like you stole it.

---------------------------------------------------------

I messed up tonight, I lost another fight
I still mess up but I'll just start again
I keep falling down, I keep on hitting the ground
I always get up now to see what's next

Birds don't just fly, they fall down and get up
Nobody learns without getting it wrong

Look at how far you've come, you filled your heart with love
Baby you've done enough that cut your breath
Don't beat yourself up, don't need to run so fast
Sometimes we come last, but we did our best

I won't give up, no I won't give in
Til I reach the end and then I'll start again
No I won't leave, I wanna try everything
I wanna try even though I could fail

Striking similarities, in my opinion.

Edited by cannastop

49 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The movie version of "Drive It Like You Stole It" is much better than the one sung by some Z-list pop singer so that the song could get radio airplay.

I honestly couldn't tell the difference at first. Is the one I have linked up there from the movie?

I seriously can't tell the fucking difference between the two versions, man.

Edited by cannastop

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

I honestly couldn't tell the difference at first. Is the one I have linked up there from the movie?

I seriously can't tell the fucking difference between the two versions, man.

I haven't seen the movie itself yet, but that music video uses clips from it so yes.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I haven't seen the movie itself yet, but that music video uses clips from it so yes.

Well I think the version with the pop star also has clips from the movie.

I know they're different singers in the two versions, but I can't see how they're that different from each other.

Edited by cannastop

On 6/23/2016 at 9:19 PM, CoolioD1 said:

you're right in that they are both boring, non-descript songs that just seem downright lazy.

To be fair, the songs in Sing Street are supposed to be written by tweens, and the song is also not quite as good as RIDDLE OF THE MODEL or even BEAUTIFUL SEA.