kayumanggi

T2: TRAINSPOTTING | 03.17.17 | Sony | current gross ● 2.23 M

Trainspotting: The Force Awakens this is not.

Boyle is at the top of his game here - bringing back and thankfully not overdoing his trademark visual flourishes that really elevate and add life to Hodge's surprisingly introspective and melancholic story (which was completely the right thing to do when you have characters who've aged 20 years). There are flashes of the original's shenanigans - not to mention the whole central storyline that has similar levels of shenanigan-ness - but it's all a whole lot more...middle-age crisis - again, precisely the right thing to do instead of having them all have fun and running around big drug deals. It's certainly more of a character study than the first film. Cast is all great - especially Lee Miller, Carlyle and newcomer Anjela Nedyalkova (need her in more stuff please).

Overall - this is certainly on par with the first film, there is a temptation to compare but, while both have the same characters - the two films markedly different, especially in approach. And I wonder how much of the mixed/negative reactions are rooted in the nostalgia for the youthful energy of the first film and people wanting to have it & the topical connections of the time back. I'm not sure the characters we got here would care about whatever's happening in the outside world, they've got their own world to deal with, and it's fine.

Solid 8/10

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

Nice to see reviews are solid. Kind of strange that, even here in the UK, the buzz for the sequel to the most notorious British movie of the 90s is so minimal — but I guess people don't like being reminded that they're much older now.

Did you not see my post about the sellouts and adding showings?

Maybe it's different in Scotland, for obvious reasons.

It's literally showing 27 times tomorrow in Glasgow Cineworld. That's more than Civil War or Rogue One reached.

Plus it's rated 18!