The Panda

BOT Top 100 Movies of All Time: The Empire Strikes Back... Again... For the Third Time...

1 minute ago, The Stingray said:

Too bad City of God didn't make it. That movie is incredible. One of the best of the 21st century, imo.

I'll take blame for that. Would've been on my list somewhere but I found trying to put one together too stressful to enjoy.

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Fuck that. Just because it's animated doesn't mean that it's lesser filmmaking.

Yes it does.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Oops that was a typo, I meant to say only one of them was not from Disney/Pixar. 

Oh, Panda. You gave me hope and then you took it away. That's enough to make anyone dangerous. God knows what it will do to me.

Anyway, neat that Big Lebowski made it on. If I recall correctly, it only missed the last list by a hair's breadth. (Although then again, so did MoS.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baumer said:

Yes it does.

Why did you decide to shit up this thread, anyways? This was supposed to be fun, and you had to pipe in with your ignorant bullshit.

Anyways, I view it as different mediums. If live-action is painting, then animation is sculpting. Neither is inherently superior.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, The Panda said:

First here are the 10 just misses (in no particular order, however they all either missed by a single point or tied in points and missed by a vote count tiebreaker)

City of God

Good Will Hunting

so_good.png

feels so good

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

incredible write up for The Big Lebowski. It did not make my top 100 but I have three Coen Brothers films that I love and it is certainly one of them. So I'm glad to see it make the list.

• Like 2

Number 99

No Country For Old Men

25 Points (10 Votes, Avg. Score 46.1)

No_Country_for_Old_Men_poster.jpg

"Whatcha got ain't nothin new. This country's hard on people, you can't stop what's coming, it ain't all waiting on you. That's vanity."

Top 5 Placements: 1

Top 10 Placements: 1

Change From Previous Years: 2014 (86, -13), 2013 (74, -19), 2012 (Not ranked)

Tomatometer: 93%

Box Office: 74.28m (90.79m Adjusted)

Highest Level of Awards Recognition: Won 4 Oscars, including Best Picture

IMDb Synopsis: In rural Texas, welder and hunter Llewelyn Moss (Josh Brolin) discovers the remains of several drug runners who have all killed each other in an exchange gone violently wrong. Rather than report the discovery to the police, Moss decides to simply take the two million dollars present for himself. This puts the psychopathic killer, Anton Chigurh (Javier Bardem), on his trail as he dispassionately murders nearly every rival, bystander and even employer in his pursuit of his quarry and the money. As Moss desperately attempts to keep one step ahead, the blood from this hunt begins to flow behind him with relentlessly growing intensity as Chigurh closes in. Meanwhile, the laconic Sherrif Ed Tom Bell (Tommy Lee Jones) blithely oversees the investigation even as he struggles to face the sheer enormity of the crimes he is attempting to thwart.

Critic Opinion: "But it's beautiful, in its way. It has a taciturn script and a taste for allegory that make it read like verse: The spaces between dialogue, like the distance over deserts, hold their own epic meaning. It has the purity of those early Dogma 95 movies, with no musical score and the same arid cinematography that spooked Roger Deakins' last photographic effort, 2005's Jarhead. So we see the pointed tips of a dead man's boots looming in silhouette on the horizon. Later we see the another pair, the killer's, as he moves them delicately aside from the pooling blood of his latest victim.
How vicious and unforgettable they are, these silent evocations of the Coens' dark art. And how murderously good this is: a singular masterwork of ludicrous clichés." - Amy Biancolli

User Opinion: "
A masterfully told existential chase thriller, that brilliantly builds tension and is perfectly paced. It is also beautifully shot (pretty much a given since Deakins is behind the camera), and features one of the all-time great villains.

Imo, one of the top 5 films of the 2000s, and the Coens' best feature since Fargo." - The Stingray

Personal Comment: Another Coens Brother film makes the list right after the last one.  While the Coen Brothers are highly loved directors, they haven't had as many breakout successes critically and at the box office compared to other renowned directors of their stature.  No Country For Old Men is one of their few movies that got love right out of the gate instead of building it overtime.  The movie has established a legacy of one of their finest works and one of the finest pieces of filmmaking of the 21st Century.

• Like 14