cannastop

Best Screenplays 2016 (Original and Adapted)

Original:

Allied

Birth of a Nation

Manchester By The Sea

Passengers

Zootopia

Adapted:

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

The Light Between Oceans

Hunt For The Wilder People

Love & Friendship

Silence

Edited by slambros
Editing my prediction list.
  • Like 1

Lion is supposed to be awful. Screened on TWC's yacht during Cannes and my friends heard people talking about how bad it was throughout the whole festival. The Austrailain Film Comission were promoting every film they had and explicitly didn't promote Lion. 

It tested more than a year ago and people didn't like it then either. I think it is keeping its release date so that TWC looks like less of a mess. 

• Like 2

On 6/3/2016 at 1:42 PM, cannastop said:

@slambros

Hunt for the Wilder People is based on Wild Pork and Watercress by Barry Crump, so it's not in the right category there.

On 6/4/2016 at 10:23 PM, TStechnij said:

Lion is supposed to be awful. Screened on TWC's yacht during Cannes and my friends heard people talking about how bad it was throughout the whole festival. The Austrailain Film Comission were promoting every film they had and explicitly didn't promote Lion. 

It tested more than a year ago and people didn't like it then either. I think it is keeping its release date so that TWC looks like less of a mess. 

Thank you!

New predictions:

Original:

1. Manchester by the Sea

2. La La Land

3. Birth of a Nation

4. Rules Don't Apply

5. Loving

Adapted:

1. Silence

2. Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk

3. Fences

4. Story of Your Life

5. Passengers

Edited by WrathOfHan

I found Wesley Lovell's site. He's a tomatometer critic, if that matters. Has a thing for predicting the awards.

http://www.cinemasight.com/awards-history/89th-academy-awards-2016/89th-academy-awards-2016-the-hopefuls/

Best Original Screenplay

• The Birth of a Nation – Nate Parker, Jean McGianni Celestin (c-3/11, n-5/19, o-5/19)
  • Loving – Jeff Nichols (c-5/16, n-5/19)
  • Manchester By the Sea – Kenneth Lonergan (c-5/31, n-5/31)
  • The Promise – Terry George, Robin Swicord (c-5/31, n-5/31)
  • Zootopia – Jared Bush, Phil Johnston, Byron Howard, Rich Moore, Josie Trinidad, Jim Reardon, Jennifer Lee (c-3/11, n-5/19)
  • The Accountant – Bill Dubuque (c-3/11)
  • Allied – Steven Knight (c-3/11)
  • Hail, Caesar! – Ethan Coen, Joel Coen (c-3/11)
  • La La Land – Damien Chazelle (c-3/11)
  • Passengers – Jon Spaihts (c-3/11)
  • Rules Don’t Apply – Warren Beatty (c-5/31)

Best Adapted Screenplay

• Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk – Jean-Christoph Castelli (c-3/11, n-5/19, o-5/19)
  • The BFG – Melissa Mathison (c-3/11, n-5/19)
  • Fences – Tony Kushner (c-5/31, n-5/31)
  • Silence – Jay Cocks (c-5/31, n-5/31)
  • Sully – Todd Komarnicki (c-3/11, n-5/19)
  • The Light Between Oceans – Derek Cianfrance (c-3/11)
  • Patriots Day – Matt Charman, Eric Johnson, Paul Tamasy (c-3/11)
  • Snowden – Oliver Stone, Kieran Fitzgerald (c-3/11)

Edited by cannastop

http://www.vulture.com/2016/06/have-we-seen-any-major-oscar-contenders-yet.html

Some buzz on Zootopia, The Lobster and Loving

I think Zootopia’s clever screenplay could earn a nod, too, especially since its themes of racial prejudice give it real-world heft, and Shakira’s “Try Anything” is well-positioned for a Best Original Song nomination since it’s played roughly one million times and performed in full at the end of the movie.

I predict three nominations for Zootopia, then, which is more than I can say about any other movie that’s been released this year.

And the dry, dystopian The Lobstermore than deserves consideration for its screenplay.

Still, we’re not looking at juggernauts here. We didn’t find many this past month at the Cannes Film Festival, either, though that prestigious fest is usually good for at least one or two Best Picture nominees. The closest thing to a real contender Cannes could offer is Loving, a fact-based drama about a landmark case legalizing interracial marriage, though it left some Oscar watchers rather dry-eyed. Still, the film could find a better reception when it opens stateside this fall — plenty of critics who didn’t see it in Cannes will be eager to put their imprimatur on it — and the lead performances from Joel Edgerton and especially Ruth Negga will demand consideration.

• Like 1

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/oscars-never-early-2016-hopefuls-903444

Joining The Birth of a Nation, Zootopia, Manchester by the Sea and Loving on the list of contenders for best original screenplay, a category in which eccentricity is often rewarded, are a handful of very eccentric films:Ethan Coen and Joel Coen's Hail Caesar! (Feb. 1), Jeff Nichols' Midnight Special (March 18), Richard Linklater'sEverybody Wants Some!! (March 30), John Carney's Sing Street (April 15), Yorgos Lanthimos' The Lobster (May 13) and past winner Pedro Almodovar's Julieta (which debuted at Cannes and will be a top contender for best foreign language film if Spain submits it).

I'm a Zootopia fanboy, of course, so I'm glad that my favored movie was casually mentioned here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

And like all the other movies, it doesn't have a shot in hell at a Best Picture nomination.

OK, but this is the screenplay thread.

And why are Manchester by the SeaLoving and The Birth of a Nation all far-fetched?

1 hour ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Hopefully not Zoptopia. 

I think you might have forgotten that even if I'm obnoxiously waving the Zootopia banner, I'm not the only one who really likes it.

And there's a strong precedent for movies like Zootopia to get screenplay nominations. Toy Story, Shrek, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up, Toy Story 3 and Inside Out.

• Like 3