cannastop

Best Screenplays 2016 (Original and Adapted)

12 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Now that Moonlight/Loving are going the adapted route, here are my predicts.

ORIGINAL

20th Century Women

Hell or High Water

La La Land

The Lobster

Manchester by the Sea

ADAPTED

Fences

Hidden Figures

Lion

Moonlight

Silence

Oh, damn, that really happened.

http://deadline.com/2016/12/oscar-shakeup-moonlight-and-loving-not-eligible-for-original-screenplay-placed-adapted-script-category-1201870607/

:shades:

What does this mean for the Oscar writing race? It considerably opens up the field for Original Screenplay, where Moonlight was considered one of the front-runners, along with Manchester by the Sea and La La Land. Such scripts as Hell or High Water, Toni Erdmann, Zootopia, Jackie, The Lobster, Captain Fantastic and 20th Century Women among others also are fighting for a slot now.

Anyways, my prediction for these categories.

Original:

Manchester by the Sea (winner)

La La Land

Hell or High Water

Jackie

20th Century Women

Adapted:

Moonlight (winner)

Arrival

Silence

Fences

Loving

Weird coincidence that all of my adapted predictions are one-word titles.

Yes, while I'm glad that Zootopia has a better chance at a nomination now, I know it's still a bit of a longshot.

Edited by cannastop

28 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I don't even see Fences getting nominated because it's such a literal adaptation of the play (from what people are saying).

But the adapted field is so weak that it might get in anyway, solely on its reputation as an Oscar movie.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cannastop said:

But the adapted field is so weak that it might get in anyway, solely on its reputation as an Oscar movie.

Moonlight, Silence, Arrival, and Hacksaw are all ahead of it, and it's probable that something like Lion takes the fifth spot.

after seeing la la land and manchester i'm definitely thinking there's a strong chance la la land takes this too, unless they wanna give lonergan the consolation. you can see in their winners that the academy at least has a bit of "good screenplay = punchy dialogue" when they vote here. maybe manchester's structural intricacy will impress them but they tend to vote rather obvious (also i think they might LOVE llland enough to just say "well it's my favourite movie" and vote for it). hard to see two best screenplay winners where the protagonists don't do a lot of talking (i'm just assuming moonlight is gonna win adapted)

Anyway, here:

Original Screenplay:

Captain Fantastic

Hell or High Water

La La Land

The Lobster

Manchester by the Sea

Alt: Zootopia

Adapted Screenplay:

Fences
Hidden Figures

Lion

Moonlight

Nocturnal Animals

Alt: Arrival

Edit: And I somehow put Lion twice, meant to put Arrival as a alt.