kayumanggi

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES | 622.3 M overseas ● 794.9 M worldwide

Comparing this movie to Transformers 5 is unfair IMO. TF5 completely nosedived and will become the lowest-grossing film of the Franchise not just domestically, but also worldwide. This movie on the other hand will make close to 800m, which while a big drop from Pirates 4 is still much higher than the first film. I think Disney could get away with making one more, but then they should really end it after the sixth one.

12 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Comparing this movie to Transformers 5 is unfair IMO. TF5 completely nosedived and will become the lowest-grossing film of the Franchise not just domestically, but also worldwide. This movie on the other hand will make close to 800m, which while a big drop from Pirates 4 is still much higher than the first film. I think Disney could get away with making one more, but then they should really end it after the sixth one.

With exchange rates counted this didn't drop much from On Stranger Tides. In U.S fatigue has hit but not overseas much.

From all the franchises that collapsed this year, this is the one that still has one more movie in the tank. Any other studio would greenlight a final movie. Since Disney doesn't need it...

If they made another movie, they should really make work of the last one. This one was pretty well received,  I mean dom is probably lost. But I think they should be able to stop the bleeding in Europe and grow in a lot of other markets to get atleast 900M or even 1B.

9 hours ago, pepsa said:

If they made another movie, they should really make work of the last one. This one was pretty well received,  I mean dom is probably lost. But I think they should be able to stop the bleeding in Europe and grow in a lot of other markets to get atleast 900M or even 1B.

Domestic bleeding I think can stop with a different type of release date. Maybe a March release. Or, if no Marvel or Star Wars film is scheduled, a Thanksgiving or Christmas release.  Similar to what Mission Impossible did 

• Like 1

Meanwhile, it should be noted that Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales — with an estimated gross of $596.6M — has now become the highest grossing title of the Pirates franchise internationally for Disney (when looking at all at today’s FX rates), thereby passing Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides which grossed $593.4M at current rates.

Deadline

If that is correct it is even more impressive and you can't see franchise fatigue OS!

Edited by Aristis
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Aristis said:

Meanwhile, it should be noted that Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales — with an estimated gross of $596.6M — has now become the highest grossing title of the Pirates franchise internationally for Disney (when looking at all at today’s FX rates), thereby passing Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides which grossed $593.4M at current rates.

Deadline

If that is correct it is even more impressive and you can't see franchise fatigue OS!

Just a little bit, because of the china growth :)

21 hours ago, John Marston said:
Domestic:  $170,620,200    22.2%
Foreign:  $596,600,000    77.8%

= Worldwide:  $767,220,200

It's on 44-45m USD in Japan. So even if falls short of 60m USD in Japan should get to 780 ww.

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

With Summer vacations and Obon holiday, hope Pirates can keep trucking along there for a while 

65-66 total from Japan could make 790 real.

767.3 (current ww cume) + 21 Japan (currently 44-45 cume) + ~1.5 (0.5 dom + 1 other OS markets) = 790 ww

Will be both worth celebrating and frustrating if it falls short of 800 by 10m or less.

That 200+ China pre-sale projections really messed up expectations.

180 from China (opposed to 172) and 175 from Dom (opposed to 171) would have been enough for 800-805.

• Like 1

767.2 ww cume including 43.1 from Japan.

Japan should at ~20 more for 787 ww.

~2 from all other markets including dom (~0.5 more) combined will give it 789 ww.

I don't see it missing 785. Even a sub-60 finish from Japan will give 785. 790 is likely.

41 minutes ago, a2knet said:

767.2 ww cume including 43.1 from Japan.

Japan should at ~20 more for 787 ww.

~2 from all other markets including dom (~0.5 more) combined will give it 789 ww.

I don't see it missing 785. Even a sub-60 finish from Japan will give 785. 790 is likely.

And it'll end up making around 450m OS-C, which is really impressive considering exchange rates (I know F8 of the Furious made over 600m OS-C, but Furious franchise is a different beast OS). IMO you can't say that China saved the movie; it helped it, for sure, but it would've been a moderate success even without it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

And it'll end up making around 450m OS-C, which is really impressive considering exchange rates (I know F8 of the Furious made over 600m OS-C, but Furious franchise is a different beast OS). IMO you can't say that China saved the movie; it helped it, for sure, but it would've been a moderate success even without it.

Yeah 445-450 OS-China is very impressive. That is why I am hopeful about a sequel. It's not about one market saving it.

GOTG2 did 375-380 OS-China (388 dom + 95 Ch + 377 OS-China = 860 WW)

SMH could do ~430 OS-China (310 dom + 110 Ch + 430 OS-Ch = 850 WW)

So 445-450 OS-China for POTC5 is great (171 dom + 172 Ch + 447 = 790 WW)